• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tell Us About Your Taos Ski Week

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Several of us were in ski weeks at Taos, as described in this thread:

https://www.pugski.com/threads/taos-mini-gathering-2019.11408/

[MOD EDIT : For anyone who doesn't know the format, a Taos Ski Week consists of a 2 hour group lesson every morning for 6 straight days. It starts with a "ski-off" on Sunday where you're placed in a group based on making 6 or 7 turns down a sort intermediate slope. There is opportunity to change groups in case of error.]

I would like to start a discussion about the ski weeks --
what did you learn? Was the mix of teaching vs terrain exploration vs "just skiing" appropriate? More or less teaching? Balance of talking vs demoing vs following?
How was the terrain level? How well matched was your group? Did you think there should have been a secondary sorting after the initial ski off?

First off, we had enough advanced / expert skiers that we could have made a pre-selected group, or at least most of one. But since we all skied together in the afternoon, that probably would have been too much togetherness.

I was in one of the top-level groups. For me, the biggest thing I worked on was line choice. I noticed that I could ski without getting out of breath when I was closely following the instructor (steep trees and/or bumps), but not when choosing my own line.

We hiked. First, to Wild West Glade. The run itself was fun but pretty mild. The traverse into it, however, was just feet away from the edge of big drops. That was scary and I would not want to do it on my own. Another day we hiked to Treskow, which had good trees followed by an untracked exit apron. Wow! A third day, we hiked to ski the lightly stirred powder on Juarez (I think), which was a ton of fun. Several of our class members refused that third hike ... even though the earlier days proved they were better hikers than me.

There were some specific technical topics we covered. We did the Taos "open the door" pole plant with associated round bump line -- I had done that before, but had lost the knack. When carving groomers, we worked on pulling back the inside ski (reducing tip lead) and engaging it. (Combined with short-leg-shorter-leg.) I had read about that, but never seriously tried it. Wow! It works. @Tony S , who was following me, said "I've never seen you ski like that before." We talked about lifting the toes in powder. I think the idea is to pressure the tongue without taking weight off the heels. That cue doesn't do anything for me, but it seemed to for some of the class.

We did not do video. We did not do individual motion analysis. One of our classmates whispered to our instructor that she wanted more individual instruction. I didn't really pay attention to whether she got it when I wasn't looking. Another classmate remarked to me, as we were saying goodbye, that he also expected more instruction. At first I agreed with him, but on further reflection I don't think it was too far out of balance. Maybe a little more "formal" motion analysis....

As Tony noted in the gathering thread this is branched from,
Many of the students were clearly Taos regulars with money and time to spend. They see a Ski Week as something that you're going to do many times
Tony was in my group after the first day. We had a woman who comes to Taos multiple weeks a year and always does a ski week (and still needs it). We had a local man who seemed to be there because his friend needed some instruction. He did not appear to need instruction himself. When we got into bigger terrain, he asked where we were going and then led the way, so our instructor could watch technique and sweep.

The other issue near the end was how much people wanted to be challenged. For some reason, the woman I referred to above decided on the third day she didn't want to ski trees! After skiing them, apparently OK, on the 2nd day. This put a real cramp in our terrain choices. I think we would have finished bigger otherwise.

Overall conclusion -- pretty happy, but not perfect. I will do another Ski Week in a future year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brock Tice

Out on the slopes
Skier
@mdf there was some discussion yesterday on the lift that perhaps your group should have been split, but wasn't, how did you feel about that?

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
the woman I referred to above decided on the third day she didn't want to ski trees! After skiing them, apparently OK, on the 2nd day. This put a real cramp in our terrain choices. I think we would have finished bigger otherwise.

It took her three days to say "no" to trees? I've been known to reach that conclusion much earlier than day 3. :rolleyes:

TS
mdf

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@mdf there was some discussion yesterday on the lift that perhaps your group should have been split, but wasn't, how did you feel about that?
Well, when person X said she didn't want to ski trees, yeah. But it was a little late at that point.
Earlier, it seemed a pretty good spread of abilities. There was a pretty obvious spread of ability, but everyone was in the same ballpark, seemed game and was able to keep up.
If you split it by hiking ability, I would have been cut. I am a sloooowww hiker.

It could have worked out better, but I'm not sure you could have told ahead of time. [Well actually, I met person X in a prior year -- @KingGrump knows her. If I had thought about it, I might have predicted trouble, but there was nothing obvious in real time.]

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Really interested in following this discussion. Taos Ski Week has been on my bucket list for a few years now. Staying at the St Bernard, the meals, access, priority lift all seem awesome. How the instruction works is one of my big question -- especially for high-level skiers. I won't pretend I have perfect form, but I'm not sure I want to spend a week at Taos rebuilding my skiing from the ground up. Especially when there is so much magnificent terrain there.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Yeah I am also curious about this experience. I'm considering doing this some day, but it's a lot of vacation time to dedicate.

How much of the lessons were drills/technique work vs. free skiing? I have seen the full range personally in lessons. Like the Mahre camp (Deer Valley) is very drill heavy for the 3 day version. Not a lot of free skiing in that one. And I've had group lessons that did balance drills for a couple hours, then we just explored the mountain the rest of the day (Whistler). Then reading the recent experiences for Jackson Hole Steep and Deep, seems that one is more tactical/psychological than working on form.

I will say that video analysis in lessons has been very helpful to me. Did any of the ski week groups do video analysis? If not, did they offer an explanation why not?

Brock Tice

Out on the slopes
Skier
As far as free skiing vs drills I can tell you it will vary widely based on instructor and skill level at Taos. @KingGrump knows just about all of them, he can probably provide hints on whom you should aim to ski with depending on your preferences. There is a lot of discretion if you make requests.

For my Taos locals clinics in the 9/10 class we mostly free ski with occasional tune-up drills if the instructor notices an issue.

TS
mdf

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It was amusing to see what "not skiing trees" looks like to a Taos instructor. We skied the top of Pollux (double black trees) and then around a rock choke to get to the open slope on Winston. In spite of that considerate treatment, she still bailed.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not sure I want to spend a week at Taos rebuilding my skiing from the ground up. Especially when there is so much magnificent terrain there.

I wouldn't worry about that if you are basically solid. Your attention will be on the "magnificent terrain." If you are not basically solid you will need to rebuild from the ground up anyway, or the magnificent terrain will eat you for breakfast. So all good either way.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's my take, from having taken a ski week each of the last two seasons, including one last week... a lot of this is couched in my personal intermediate-level skills and needs. So YMMV depending on what you're looking for. My advice would be to tell the instructor what you're hoping to work on, or what you are hoping to ski, and go from there to try to make sure you're in the right level/group. (EDIT : And be honest - don't tell them you "ski black bumps" just because you fight your way down a handful each season.)

2018 - Low snow year (Christine Lowry, instructor)

Last year due to lack of snow almost every run was groomed, but for a few small spots. Because nothing much was open, I was sorted into a pretty high level group (8 or 9 out of 10). I asked the instructor about the fact that I have little to no experience in powder, bumps, trees, and steeps, and she thought with what was open I'd be fine.

We spent almost the whole week doing drills and working on short turns. The drills I can remember are - side slips, one footed side slips, one footed turns - both feet, both directions, pivot slips, 360s, drifting (finishing turns by slide-slipping to avoid tail washing), and skiing with your poles balanced on your forearms (to keep hands forward and up). We also worked on other tactics and situations - skiing what bumps their were; pole-planting and releasing into turns; skiing trail edges and crud; skiing ice (there were a couple of slopes groomed until they were shiny); and we did some video analysis toward the end of the week too.

All in all, I thought it was very beneficial... it helped my form and balance, it pushed me a bit to do some drills that were beyond me, and it gave me a sense of my progress and how far I still need to go. Even though it was all on groomers, I think it improved my skiing quite a bit.

The format was really good, allowing for warm-up, some good lesson time, then a lunch break, then free skiing in the afternoon. The class size was 5 people, which was good too. That's around where they usually try to keep them, but it depends on how many people show up for the Sunday ski-off. The instructor was great - with a good mix of talking and demo and tips.

2019 - Last week, average snow year (Dave Doty, instructor)

So after the prior year's positive experience, I was going back to Taos this year for another Ski Week.

This year, we heard that it was an unexpectedly large turn-out for the week, and there were ~120 people in the ski-off (more than double what I encountered the year before). This time I got sorted into a mid-high group, and a short chat with the instructor on what I was comfortable with and wanted to learn, I actually moved down a group. The group I was initially in was going to be doing all the black bumps and trees by the end of the week, which was more than I thought I could handle. (Taos black bumps and trees are generally to taken pretty seriously for an intermediate.)

The group I was in worked on form, and being forward and smooth from turn to turn - not static, not crouched, tipping with feet/ankles/knees, and worked on separation a bit. That part was a little rudimentary for me, but was still good practice with some good tips. Then we worked on three things through the week that I was looking for - bump technique and tactics, powder and crud, and some tree skiing.

I think my problem with anything ungroomed is that I revert to some very old bad habits pretty quickly. The lessons really helped me figure out what I should be doing - I always felt I had no clue how to approach anything but the easiest moguls; And we did some that were decidedly not easy. I skied some trees for the first time (including a couple of black diamond glades). And we even got some powder practice.

We did spend some time just freeskiing and having fun - it wasn't all drills at all this year. One nice morning with a few inches of new snow, my instructor just asked if it would be OK if we just tried to find some untracked snow for the morning. We ended up sking some untouched glades with ankle-deep+ snow everywhere. It was a lot of fun.

Overall it was another great experience... I think my experience with the bumps and trees will let me keep improving there. And it gave me more sense of what to work on, much like the year before. I'd say my instructor wasn't as good as the year before - wasn't as clear a communicator or as direct - but still provided very good lessons. The group size started out at 8, which worried me a bit, but the second day we re-organized and had 4 people in the group most of the week.

Last edited:

Jimski

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For me, the Ski Week lessons met my expectations, which were to work on basic technique and not necessarily to push the envelop of terrain difficulty. I had a very good instructor, Ross, who had us do several useful drills -- which I still (mostly) remember, so I can work on them on my own.

Having said that, I agree with others that the initial sorting into groups was less than optimal. Some members of my group refused to ski anything more difficult than blues. And when I suggested that we try moguls, some of my group groaned. Nevertheless, I decided to stay with that group because I liked the instructor and, as I said, I wanted to work on technique.

I think the initial group placement was influenced as much by what we said, just before launching, to the directing instructor at the top of the test slope as it was by the 6-7 seconds of our actual test skiing. He was communicating with the other instructors down the slope via walkie-talkie, and asked me what I wanted to ski. I said "blues and blacks"-- and, apparently, "blues" was what stuck. Next year, maybe I'll say "bumps and trees".

armed&dangerous

Booting up
Skier
One question on the format. After the two hour instruction what happens? Lunch I suppose then does everyone go their own way?

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Honestly don't remember much. It was a very long time ago and there was a lot of alcohol and smoke.
It was steep, and think I had a really good time.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Honestly don't remember much. It was a very long time ago and there was a lot of alcohol and smoke.
It was steep, and think I had a really good time.

I remembered a couple dates like that back when I was in my 20's. :beercheer:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied with Dave Doty a few years back. He took me to meatball chute which was a blast. I found him very helpful especially in the Yikes zone stuff.

Sponsor

Staff online