• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Thanks.
Do you know of anyone at West, Central, Silver Fir or Alpental? I have season passes there through 2021 and can be in any of their parking lots in 45 minutes.

I have heard great things about Anne Healzer but I just don’t see traveling 2 to 2.5 hours to get up to Stevens when my entire family has season passed at The Summit.

Unfortunately, I don’t. We had a place in Gig Harbor, and ski house in Glacier. I taught for a bit at Baker. Had a pass to to Crystal and ski school there was in disarray. Didn’t get up to Snoqualmie area much. Crystals new ski school director, when we left WA for CO, came out of Beaver Creek. Very good guy.

Maybe ring Anne. Google her. Her PT business will come up. She’d probably have a good recommendation. She’s an amazing instructor. Her recommendation would be gold with me. Let her know that we spoke.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
ON3P Wrenegade 108?
No, no, no.
This has my eye. But I get confused about Wrenegade 108 vs Woodsman 108. Both could work, no?
The Woodsman would work.
Yup, but I'm not a forward-mounted, jib-style ski guy.

At all.

So I'd personally only be looking at the Wren.
I have demoed the Woodsman 108, and if I didn’t already have my Billy goat, I’d get the Woodsman 108. As it is, I’m strongly considering the Woodsman 96 as middle quiver ski. It is not a jibby ski, that’s the Jeffrey (which by the way still skis great). The Woodsman is very much a directional ski. The Woodsman 108 is for me a little wide as an all-mountain ski, which is kind of how they’re marketed, but it makes a superb powder and crud ski, with a significant amount of front rocker (not as pronounced at the tail), while still able to rail groomers. It is a bit more playful than the Wrenegade, which is a charger and likes to go hard and fast, not what the OP is looking for.

Another ski I’d look at is the Head Kore, I demoed the 99 and liked it, though the 105 might fit the bill better.

TS
E

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
I’m kind of leaning toward Enforcer 104, Enforcer 110 and Mindbender 108. I’ll perhaps add another one or two such as Woodsman 108, QST 106, MSP 108, Metal or Nomad 105.

I do know that I don’t want a two-ski quiver where I need to do much thinking about which to choose on any given day. I don’t care if the split ends up at 70/30 or even 80/20. I just want to know which ski is correct without a doubt.

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
My buddy has a 2 ski quiver - we ski in PNW at Schweitzer Mountain. He has a QST 92 and added the QST 106. Super simple for him to chose a ski. 2 inches or less - the 92. 3 or more the 106. I see a lot of QST 106’s at Schweitzer because they come in a tweener size of 181 and are easy to ski but perform well. If I were you I would look that direction potentially. The E104 is a good choice as well. Both will make your decision easy for you.

I have lived in a 2 ski main quiver for a number of years. A low 80’s and the Bonafide at 98 at the waist. Very easy to pull a ski based upon the conditions. I have taken the Bones in all conditions and all depths and they have never failed me. What they gave up in the first hour of deep snow they made up for when it turned to chop and crud. I just added a Kastle BMX 105 HP to the quiver and now my decision will be trickier. But by learning and skiing my Bonafide in all conditions and terrain - I am a much better skier. I don’t think that would have happened if I went straight to a wide ski first.

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
I’m kind of leaning toward Enforcer 104, Enforcer 110 and Mindbender 108. I’ll perhaps add another one or two such as Woodsman 108, QST 106, MSP 108, Metal or Nomad 105.

I'd still try to demo one of the Soul 7 or Origin 106, early in the piece if possible. Will be a good contrast to the Enforcers and Mindbender and should either validate your thoughts or make you reassess.

I do know that I don’t want a two-ski quiver where I need to do much thinking about which to choose on any given day. I don’t care if the split ends up at 70/30 or even 80/20. I just want to know which ski is correct without a doubt.

I imagine that as you get better the number of days where you could ski either ski and still have a great time will increase.

Last edited:
TS
E

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
I'd still try to demo one of the Soul 7 or Origin 106, early in the piece if possible. Will be a good contrast to the Enforcers and Mindbender and should either validate your thoughts or make you reassess.
Good idea.

So, Enforcer 104 & 110, Mindbender 108, Woodsman 108, QST 106 and Origin 106 on the demo list.

EDIT: Adding Dynastar MFree 108

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Length now becomes the issue. You might have to demo different lengths. With the Soul, possibly the 188.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No, no, no.... the Wrenegade, which is a charger and likes to go hard and fast, not what the OP is looking for.

I've heard this is VERY true of the 190, but not so much the 184, but I've never skied either. I see the 115s (or 116s) a fair bit on Mt. Hood, but have yet to run into somebody skiing the 108.

My buddy has a 2 ski quiver - we ski in PNW at Schweitzer Mountain. He has a QST 92 and added the QST 106. Super simple for him to chose a ski.

IMO, there is a LOT to be said for this. I can switch between my Enforcer 88s and 100s seamlessly. If Nordica made a 110 version of the 100, I'd own it in a heartbeat, and (kind of) quit reading about wide skis!

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Agree on the latest list and would for sure add the Dynastar MFree 108 on there too in the 182cm. Tried them yesterday in the 182cm and 192cm and they are very nice. Pretty damp and even easier to ski than the Enforcer 104 in bumps(VERY HIGH praise) and they carve very well too. A little soft in the 182cm for myself and the 192cm is more of a playful charger but the 182cm(measures similar to most 183/84 twins) would be perfect for a forgiving intermediate ski that still could handle afternoon crud. If they made a 186cm with a 192cm flex, I’d be swapping my Enforcers 104s out for it.

PNWRod

Getting off the lift
Skier

I could be very happy just on my 88's. In fact, my 88's are my travel ski and I never worry or care what the conditions are when I get there. They do everything I need them to do. I got caught in a wonderful deep day at Baker...88's. Skating rink at Mission...88's. Heavy chopped up bumpy snow at Baker...88's. Chaperone Ski School at Alpental...88's. Do everything at Crystal including Southback ...88's. Trips to Schweitzer as well. Metal, medium stiff, damp, fun in the moguls and easy on my knee...88's. OH...and they are old fossils... I think from 2012 or so.

Last edited:
TS
E

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
My buddy has a 2 ski quiver - we ski in PNW at Schweitzer Mountain. He has a QST 92 and added the QST 106. Super simple for him to chose a ski. 2 inches or less - the 92. 3 or more the 106. I see a lot of QST 106’s at Schweitzer because they come in a tweener size of 181 and are easy to ski but perform well. If I were you I would look that direction potentially. The E104 is a good choice as well. Both will make your decision easy for you.

I have lived in a 2 ski main quiver for a number of years. A low 80’s and the Bonafide at 98 at the waist. Very easy to pull a ski based upon the conditions. I have taken the Bones in all conditions and all depths and they have never failed me. What they gave up in the first hour of deep snow they made up for when it turned to chop and crud. I just added a Kastle BMX 105 HP to the quiver and now my decision will be trickier. But by learning and skiing my Bonafide in all conditions and terrain - I am a much better skier. I don’t think that would have happened if I went straight to a wide ski first.
Thanks. I think QST 106 is going to end up as a very strong contender for me.

I have an old friend that is a former high-grade instructor and general world-wide ski bum whom I contacted recently (he was skiing Val Thorens at the time) to ask for advice. He didn’t recommend specific skis but said that to cover most bases for a Western skier, about a 15-20mm difference is a good general rule for a two-ski quiver and about 10-15mm difference works well for a three-ski quiver.
Anything more than three skis and one can start to specialize and get real tight or real specific for conditions or even skiing certain areas, he said.

So, I have patterned my search after his recommendations. I went 90 first, so around 105 - 110 for the wide ski. If (when) I decide to get a skinny carver, I'll drop down to around 72-82, depending on what I like. Should have most bases covered! Sounds like you and your buddy have done about the same thing.

Last edited:
TS
E

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
Agree on the latest list and would for sure add the Dynastar MFree 108 on there too in the 182cm. Tried them yesterday in the 182cm and 192cm and they are very nice. Pretty damp and even easier to ski than the Enforcer 104 in bumps(VERY HIGH praise) and they carve very well too. A little soft in the 182cm for myself and the 192cm is more of a playful charger but the 182cm(measures similar to most 183/84 twins) would be perfect for a forgiving intermediate ski that still could handle afternoon crud. If they made a 186cm with a 192cm flex, I’d be swapping my Enforcers 104s out for it.
Definitely adding the Dynastar MFree 108 to the list. Hearing great reports about versatility, float and forgiveness. The 182 should be perfect.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just had the M-Free 108 182cm in my hands a half hour ago ( at a shop at Tremblant ) and was surprised how much camber it had, along with the expected good amount of tip and tail rocker / taper, and it was pretty heavy weight. Just read the Blister review which was very favourable.

DB Cooper

Putting on skis
Skier

I'm moving from a 3 ski quiver (Atomic Vantage 83 CTI, Enforcer 93, Backland 109) to a 2 ski quiver of Enforcer 88 and Enforcer 104.

Solid move.

James

Out There
Instructor
I'm moving from a 3 ski quiver (Atomic Vantage 83 CTI, Enforcer 93, Backland 109) to a 2 ski quiver of Enforcer 88 and Enforcer 104.

Solid move.
You really should get either the 93, 100, or 110 to make it a nice family.

TS
E

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier

Solid move.
If I had it to do over again, I would get those two (Enforcer 88 and 104) and live (ski) happily ever after.

Now, I am feeling pretty good about adding the Head Supershape i.Titan 80 to my Liberty Evolv90 to be covered for frontside then adding what I believe will end up being the Nordica Enforcer 104, Salomon QST 106, Dynastar MFree 108 or K2 Mindbender 108 as a resort powder/chop/crud ski that can also do for the occasional powder day.

Last edited:

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier

Solid move.
I’m currently

Brahma 88
Nordica Enforcer Free 104
DPS Wailer 112RP

(I may also own a Head Monster 83 but they are so close in performance to the Brahma I strictly speaking only need one of them, and for greater versatility if forced to choose, I’d choose the Brahma over the Monster...with tears).

The width gaps are good between the first two. Between the DPS and Nordica they’re much closer but the Wailer is really a powder specific ski so other features make it great for deep days.

if I didn’t ski Niseko a lot I’d completely forego the DPS though. Most places its overkill and a 104 is more than enough.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’m currently

Brahma 88
Nordica Enforcer Free 104
DPS Wailer 112RP

(I may also own a Head Monster 83 but they are so close in performance to the Brahma I strictly speaking only need one of them, and for greater versatility if forced to choose, I’d choose the Brahma over the Monster...with tears).

The width gaps are good between the first two. Between the DPS and Nordica they’re much closer but the Wailer is really a powder specific ski so other features make it great for deep days.

if I didn’t ski Niseko a lot I’d completely forego the DPS though. Most places its overkill and a 104 is more than enough.
Not so much that 112 is Overkill, but the dps sucks in cut up powder.