• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
E

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
Neither is Jonathan from Blister but he liked the Woodsman. I suspect they're both more suitable for advanced/expert skiers as opposed to those of us who are intermediate/advanced. Would love to try them but have never seen them available for demo.
I am not sure the ON3P offerings are all that "forgiving" for my needs, either.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Next week I’m taking a 3 day trip to steamboat and if it looks like the weather will cooperate (read: fresh snow) I am planning on taking a 104 with me to put it through the paces.

Needless to say I have high expectations for the 104 and if everything goes right and it performes the way I hope it does I will be getting one.

I just did this very thing - 104's were fantastic with fresh snow around - 88's for the rest of the time. Check out: https://www.pugski.com/threads/mount-point-for-new-enforcer-104-free.18863/post-448117

@EmporerMA - Enforcers are worth a hard look.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
ON3P now has 3 models in this width range-the heavily rockered and more playful freestyle ski, Jeffrey 108(usedry to be called Kartel), the more traditional mount, stiffer flex, flatter tail Wrenegade 108 and now the “in-between Woodsman 108.

For years, many have mounted the Jeffrey back a few cm to make it a bit more stable and others have moved the mount on the Wrenegade forward a few cm to make it more playful. The Woodsman has a mount in between the two and is like a “more playful Wren” or “more stable Jeffrey”. Almost as stable as the Wren but more forgiving and fun. None are light and that’s part of the reason for their dampness and stability. None are super great carving on hard snow but are great on soft snow and through crud.

There has been a few more great reviews posted online of the Dynastar MFree 108 and talked to 2 people today that demoed them and were very impressed. Saw this post on TGR yesterday too-

“Skied the m free 108 at steamboat today in 6-12 inches of blower. Ski test for Outside and Mountain Magazine. 21 skis in the All Mountain Powder category. This was, hands down, the best ski in this cat. So easy to use, the sweet spot is enormous. Way nicer than the new Katana.
I want a pair.”

JWMN

Getting off the lift
Skier
I’m really looking for something that handles deeper, heavier chop and crud well that also floats more and has more forgiving tails.
[/QUOTE]

You just described the Black Ops 98. You really do need to demo them. They are amazing.

TS
E

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
@EmporerMA - Enforcers are worth a hard look.
They are high on the list.

I’ve never encountered anyone or anything online where the user didn’t love the Enforcer Free 104 other than someone who just didn’t like Nordica for whatever reason.

However, if it’s sold out and I have to consider the 2021 version at MAP price, that opens up a huge number of possible competitors, namely the new Dynastar MFree 108 and Rossignol Black Ops Sender.

The demo list keeps growing when I want to narrow it down!

TS
E

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
I’m really looking for something that handles deeper, heavier chop and crud well that also floats more and has more forgiving tails.

You just described the Black Ops 98. You really do need to demo them. They are amazing.
[/QUOTE]
I’ve heard this from several shops around here. Added to the list.

TS
E

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
There has been a few more great reviews posted online of the Dynastar MFree 108 and talked to 2 people today that demoed them and were very impressed. Saw this post on TGR yesterday too-

“Skied the m free 108 at steamboat today in 6-12 inches of blower. Ski test for Outside and Mountain Magazine. 21 skis in the All Mountain Powder category. This was, hands down, the best ski in this cat. So easy to use, the sweet spot is enormous. Way nicer than the new Katana.
I want a pair.”
This ski has me more intrigued than any, with the possible exception of the Rossignol Black Ops. If I hold out for MAP price 2021 skis, this is at the top of the demo list.

Vive la France.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
The Enforcer 104 is hard to beat; the Liberty Evolv 100, Fischer Ranger 102fr, Line Sick Day 104, Renoun Endurance 104, J Skis Metal 106, ON3P Woodsman 108, are also worth considering.

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have a demo day this weekend and was looking for this type of ski - but I picked up a new Kastle BMX 105 HP this last week on a smoking deal while on a ski trip to Whitefish (clearance price plus an extra 35% shop discount). So now my demo focus changes. I will try to get on the Woodsman as I am very curious about it as well as the MFree. The E104 is a good ski for sure. I have a 2015 Bonafide so I will demo the new version of that. as well.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
All good skis just depends on what feels good to you. Have skied or dem'd 3 of those listed and choose none of them. My variable ski conditions ski is an Elan Ripstick 96. Love them up to a foot of powder, all those days we have 1-2or 4 inches they are awesome. They are good on groomers too.

JWMN

Getting off the lift
Skier
Skiing in 6-12" of Steamboat's Champagne Powder, or Blower Snow, is like skiing on a groomed run. It's so light it isn't even there. I have to wonder how so many skis didn't perform well in it! Reviews are all over the place. You really have to take a ski out yourself to see if it suites you, and the conditions you ski in.

I want a pair.”
[/QUOTE]

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
I demoed the Rustler 10's in the 188cm length and they didnt feel hooky at all and could do GS turns (or shorter) all day on the hill. Maybe in the shorter lengths they have a different feel.
I own it in the shortest length and wouldn't say they love long turns, but they hold up fine tracking straight. I'd guess any deflection mostly comes from the light weight (and soft flex in the older models).

I think the Rustler 10's might be too close in width and purpose. I could use the Rustlers 10's as my every day ski no problem.
And following up on my prior comment to agree with Ken that the Rustler 10 is probably not the ski you're looking for here. It's more a very wide all-mountain ski than a true resort powder ski. You're getting great advice from a lot of people.

PNWRod

Getting off the lift
Skier
Things to consider:
1) Our "powder" is typically more the maritime variety.
2) The resort he will be skiing is relatively low angle. (Snoqualmie and Mission)
3) OP is a bigger guy and if I remember correctly a self described intermediate that had a long vacation from skiing until recently.

Apologies to the OP if any of this is incorrect.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
I’m really looking for something that handles deeper, heavier chop and crud well that also floats more and has more forgiving tails. The Evolv90 tails were tough to release in the heavy chop.

I'll be the non-conformist in the group and mention my current resort powder ski, the J Skis Metal. More forward mount than others, but is heavy enough to handle chop very well, which is what resort powder turns into quickly. Stable but forgiving. They usually have a sale in the spring that they announce by email. I'd also throw in the Enforcer 100. Not technically a resort powder ski, but it simply does everything well.

I also really like the Rustler 10 also, but for very different reasons. Not a huge fan of the Soul, but I have friends that love it. That said it is still my #1 recommendation for people learning to powder ski. Not enough experience with the others to comment. The Soul and Enforcer 100 may be available at discounts this spring since both are going away.

James

Out There
Instructor
I have asked them for advice on a “resort powder” ski for someone like me who is at best an intermediate but someone who hasn’t skied in a very long time that I can pair with my Liberty Evolv90 to make a excellent 2-ski quiver for someone who holds a season pass at The Summit at Snoqualmie. I stick to groomers and edges mostly and imagine this will remain the case for my skiing career. But I will see powder days and will travel to places that may see substantial powder and I want to increase my skills so I can enjoy it when I get it. I will more than likely not be chasing big pow days but would like something that keeps me in the game even a place gets a good dump.
As usual, recommendations are starting to skew towards the advanced group.

Black Ops - no
The much maligned, by advanced skiers, Rossi Soul7 hd might be the ticket. The PNW is the wild card here. The cement skiers should weigh in.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
What skis that you owned or skied have you liked? Which one didn’t you jive with? Imho, unless you have a “type” of ski you like - trying to define the “what ski” over the interwebz from strangers is like asking “ what boots should I buy”? Answer is always “the red ones”.

ive jumped (read bought) on powder skis that literally were supposedly “the best” and immediately put them back in the car after one run and went with my old 95mm skis on a 2ft blower day in the Wasatch. These “the best“ skis were enough different from my preferences that I never skied them again and sold them.

I guess my point is - try before you buy or at least know - you might be passing them down. Only caveat would be - staying in a brand/model. Ie. If you liked the E93, you most likely would be pretty safe doing e104 or whatever there next bigger ski is. just my experience - but I get stuck in my ways - I have a ski “type“and a binding “type”

YMMV

JWMN

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have to ask why you say no to the Black Ops 98?

I owned the Soul 7, it was great in fresh powder. But, they would not go thru heavy, cut up snow. The tips are soft and the skis go over, not thru. They can be like riding a bucking bronco thru the push piles after a few hours of skiers going down the runs. They would just kill my knees and legs with all the bouncing and slamming. I now own the Black Ops. These skis just blast thru the push piles like they are not even there, much like my Experience 94's. The Black Ops ski so easily I think the OP could have fun on them and they will help him advance.
As I said before, a person should demo the skis in the conditions they will be skied in.

As usual, recommendations are starting to skew towards the advanced group.

Black Ops - no
The much maligned, by advanced skiers, Rossi Soul7 hd might be the ticket. The PNW is the wild card here. The cement skiers should weigh in.

Sponsor

Staff online