• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tell me about medium capacity ultrasonic cleaners

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Well, given the *crickets*, I'm going for the cheapest unit, never mind digital control or drainage valves.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Drainage valve is nice to have.
Heating is good (speeds up the cleaning with a detergent). You could get around this by heating the water first before pouring it in the basin. The water would stay warm for a while, but not maintain a set point temp.

The one we use is probably $1000-$2000, used in a laboratory. I am guessing your price point is lower?

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Drainage valve is nice to have.
Heating is good (speeds up the cleaning with a detergent). You could get around this by heating the water first before pouring it in the basin. The water would stay warm for a while, but not maintain a set point temp.

The one we use is probably $1000-$2000, used in a laboratory. I am guessing your price point is lower?

In the size I'm looking at, $250 ish gets me heat and digital timing. Going slightly bigger on size and adding one extra driver doubles the price.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I don't know anything about ultrasonic cleaners but as a guy who years ago used to own a roller skating rink, I do know the best way to clean and lube skate bearings.

We used to use semi precision, open one side bearings and would soak them in carburetor cleaner to remove cheap stock grease or clean old bearings. Engine de-greaser, or any other chemical cleaner that you can think of won't work as well as carb cleaner.

Once they have been soaking for a while in a jar so you can shake it a bit, take out the bearing and tap open face down onto corrugated card board (soaks up the carb cleaner). Then flip the bearings face up and leave to air dry. Couple of drops of Tri-Flo Lubricant per bearing and you now have a set speed tuned bearings that will be very, very fast compared to stock.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
We used to use semi precision, open one side bearings and would soak them in carburetor cleaner to remove cheap stock grease or clean old bearings. Engine de-greaser, or any other chemical cleaner that you can think of won't work as well as carb cleaner.

You can use any solvent you like with an ultrasonic cleaner. I suggest you fill the sonicator with water only and put the nasty part + solvent in a glass beaker (or other glass container) and immerse the beaker into the sonicator water. That way, the sonicator basin stays clean. Your cleanup is limited to a small beaker that has walls that don't get dirty.

Sonicator can rapidly clean any part, including parts with complex internal geometry. For instance, I cleaned an assembled calculator with one of these machines (I did remove the battery first). Solvent was isopropyl alcohol.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Harbour Frieght sells one cheap (even cheaper on sale), heating with timer, no drain. For the price consider it a disposable that may last, while you figure out if it’s what you really need.

So far ours has lasted and it works as well as the higher end units for a ton less money (the longer it lasts that more I smile).