• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Teen dies attempting to jump from chairlift.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I feel for the friend too that jumped successfully; especially if there was some teen peer pressure involved.
That definitely is going to need a lot of counseling.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I read in another report that they were jumping off early so they could access some off-piste terrain.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wow, so sad.

It's in Val D'Or....off piste terrain??
She is from Val D'Or. The incident happened at a resort, but obviously not an area intended to ski.

From the report, it sounds like she hit a boulder that was masked by snow. :(

An incident that I witnessed in Michigan on an old fixed grip chair was, a couple of teens jumped from the chair close to the top, so they could poach some untracked snow. The motion from the jump made the chair that was unloading at the top bounce violently, breaking the hip of a woman who was getting off.

Jumping is no joke.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Sorry, my comment was in response to the off piste. The "resort" is outside of Val D'Or . And is as jzmtl links.

Our local bump had a guy impale his leg with the safety bag support that cover the snow making gun. How? Don't know. But the local paper stated that he was off piste and impaled himself on some rebar.

None the less, sad for all concerned in that little community.

Chris Axebiker

Recovering Meadowskipper
Skier
Drives me nuts when I see video footage showing up online of this type behavior, followed up by the “rad/awesome/huuuuuge/whatever” comments. We live in a society where people are both exposed to idiocy thru social media, and also insulated from the consequences by lawyers - “not my fault”.

Sad situation. I feel bad for the families.

Sponsor