• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tecnica Mach1 130 LV vs Fischer RC4 The Curv 130 Vacuum

Nenad

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi everybody!
My first post here, been reading for a while now. Thanks for all the info I scouted for free!
Anyway, could somebody do a comparison of these two boots?
I understand it sounds silly to ask is boot A better than B but her's the backstory...
I already had Tecnica Mach1 130 LV (R, black "race" version, common here in Europe). Boot was good, I bought it beginning of the season and right out of the box, fit was uncomfortable a bit but good. My feet are 28 dead even, kind of narrow (99mm). No irregularities, real deal by the book low volume feet :D
Bootfiter thought that shell fit in 27 was a bit tight but only problematic pressure (a little bit) I felt was at the 5th metatarsal we decided that I give it a try. Fit was snug, don't get me wrong, but I felt that 5th might be only problem. Went to Alps for a 10 day trail. All good after some break in time. Morning till down I could wear the boots, although pain and inflamation in 5th met started increasing gradually. I kind of tolerate pain good but my previous Dalbello Kr 2's were more problematic because of styloid process pain even in 28 so I was happy! I decided that little punch is all I need to get really good fitting boot. However, last day, I tweaked my ankle playing basketball and season is over unfortunately.
Meanwhile, friend needed new boots and couldn't find Mach's so I just gave them away as a present. Boy was he happy :D
Couple of months later, ankle is fine and I need new boots. Yeah, two pairs of boots in a year!
My shop has these at a good price (both Tecnicas and Fischers). Are Fischers upgrade in any way? How would you describe difference in flex progression and stiffness?
I'm thinking Fischer only because my bootfiter is not close to where I ski so I can't do a lot of mods without traveling 200 miles and I hope that Vacuum is one and done thing?
Both boots are current models (2017/2018) btw.

There are R9.3s hanging on a wall too :) What would be the difference (aside from fitting process I would have to go through) between Mach1 LV and R9.3 in 130 flex if both are fitted well?

I'm 6'1", 190 lbs, athletic, good skier.

Thanks in advance guys!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You tell us, which one feels better on your foot? All the boots at this level are pretty darn good. Go with the one that hurts the least and modify from there.

TS
N

Nenad

Skier
You tell us, which one feels better on your foot? All the boots at this level are pretty darn good. Go with the one that hurts the least and modify from there.

Thanks for the reply Phil!

The thing is, I was already going to buy Machs again as I liked them first time around. Just checking inventory of the shop online, I've seen Fischers and R9.3s for the same price (and it's really good price, like 250$ clearence).
So I haven't tried Fischers and was just asking to prepare myself in order what to expect. Should fit without Vacuuming be already good? I don't really know how much vacuum process does overall.
What I heard is that Fischers are a bit shorter lengthwise, softer and less progressive... I can only try them in the shop so don't know how would on snow flex be compared to Machs.
And R9.3... I know I'll have to invest a lot of time getting them where I want them to be but since I never had plug boot before, is it worth it in the end compared to other two alternatives? I don't compete and aim would be even for plugs to be all day boots.

My boot history is: Lange Comp Pro 120 in 28, Dalbello Kr Pros in 28, brief affair with Raptor 120 in 27 and Mach1 LV 130 in 27. All of the boots (out of the box) before Tecnicas gave me some trouble with styloid process area which is strange considering only Tecnicas actually squeezes my metatarsal bones (kind of jams them together more that they should be jammed up in front). Could that jamming mask styloid process pressure somehow btw?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Sounds like you need either a better boot fitter, or perhaps there's a lack of communication with him/her that's taking you down some wildly varying paths. With respect, it seems you're asking us 'which haircut is better?' while looking at a poster if different hair styles. Phil's questions are your answer.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I'd say in general the Curv boot will have a bit more length than you might expect for a given size.

TS
N

Nenad

Skier
Sounds like you need either a better boot fitter, or perhaps there's a lack of communication with him/her that's taking you down some wildly varying paths. With respect, it seems you're asking us 'which haircut is better?' while looking at a poster if different hair styles. Phil's questions are your answer.

Thanks for the answer!
You are probably right and no offence is taken. There are not many boot fitters around here and people are not very much interested in skiing so that they request such a service on regular basis. They just buy a size larger shell and that is it. So my choice is limited in first place in that regard. Even the guys doing fitting it can't do it on a volume boot fitting is done in the west or Alps for example.

I do have very "regular" narrow feet and that helped a lot with my previous boot choices. So I choose a boot and usually need only one shell mod. Either styloid punch or 5th toe punch.

I would much prefer to have a good relationship with good boot fitter and have everything analyzed but, unfortunately, that's not a option for me.

On topic of haircuts...
I know Tecnica Mach1 130 LV fits with 5th met punch.
I have no idea what Vacuum can do in terms of fit. Is it auto win if initial fit is close to Tecnica's? Also, what is the difference in plastic. PU vs miracle Fischer material.
Tecnica R9.3 is something I just mentioned as I spotted it available in my size. I never had a plug boot so I wouldn't say it's just a different haircut for me. Or at least, is cutting my hair in so many iterations worth it if I want to achieve 70% performance 30% comfort result?

Anyway, thank you all for taking time to replay!

@epic
Thanks for that length info. It means a lot considering Tecnicas are as short as I would go in size 27.

TS
N

Nenad

Skier
OK, I guess I'll have to carpet flex them in order to try to determine which one I prefer.
Thanks guys.

Sponsor

Staff online