• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tecnica Mach 1 130 LV

GettingThere

Booting up
Skier
I recently picked up the Mach1 130 LV to replace my Lange RS (which was punched in key areas). I was shocked at how much lower volume (visually and fit) it was compared to my Langes. I've been breaking them in around the house and haven't noticed any hot spots, tingling of the toes, or any discomfort. I was cross shopping the Lange RX 130 LV vs. the Mach1 130 LV, I'm glad I went with the Mach1. I hope they ski as well as they feel/fit!

They do! I got mine end of last season, even sized down. I have a few spots I need to take care of (more apparent when I don't wear the absolute thinnest socks). I also got a booster strap which to me makes a world of difference

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I recently picked up the Mach1 130 LV to replace my Lange RS (which was punched in key areas). I was shocked at how much lower volume (visually and fit) it was compared to my Langes. I've been breaking them in around the house and haven't noticed any hot spots, tingling of the toes, or any discomfort. I was cross shopping the Lange RX 130 LV vs. the Mach1 130 LV, I'm glad I went with the Mach1. I hope they ski as well as they feel/fit!
Yes, the volume between the Tecnica and the Lange is significant, even though the Lange is supposedly 97mm and the Tecnica 98mm. I can use my Boot Doc WC Foam in the Lange but no way in the Tecnicas.

Maddog

In search of snow
Skier
In the same boat here (pun intended with a 29.5 mondo), and am loving the Technica Mach 1 LVs so far. I have nightmare feet that are flat, pronate, have a prominent navicular projection, while having a proclivity for stiff flex racer-esque ski boots.

The guys at Northstar (Philpug and Nate) recommended them and have about 7 days on them so far. A series of expansions in key areas (which the shell was designed for), with a Varus wedge, foot beds, and a few additional tweaks here and there have me making it through the day with the performance I've become accustomed too.

BeetleJuice

Booting up
Skier
Is there any difference between these orange Mach 1 130 LV and the black Mach 1 R 130 LV? I've read the liners are different, but I've also read that nothing is different besides the color. Can anyone confirm?

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Is there any difference between these orange Mach 1 130 LV and the black Mach 1 R 130 LV? I've read the liners are different, but I've also read that nothing is different besides the color. Can anyone confirm?

The black Mach 1 R is a Europe model..... I’ve spotted em on the international site & Ebay & have been courious myself. Lmk as well if anyone has beta.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
The ones I've seen on eBay are 2017 version. Didn't the liner get updated for 2018?? Boot obsession...

Italian Tecnica site has a leather looking liner in the picture- likely what the Dobermann Pro used to have. My only concern w this boot: the Cochise w similar clog (lower) was cold as hell. Not much plastic to insulate.

I too am obsessed.

MickM

Booting up
Skier
I am in Australia and have the Mach 1 R 130 LV version. From what I have read is they are essentially the same boot.

Anything with "Race" sells well in Euro
Not so much in US

Love them.

Last edited:

vilu

Booting up
Skier
Does anyone know if the volume and shape changed a lot between Mach1 130 LV of 16/17 and 19/20 or 20/21? I loved mine but know it gets wet very soon :-(.

dx111

Booting up
Skier
I would also be interested if somebody could comment on the relative sizing/volume between the 2019/20 Mach1 130 MV versus LV.

I recently had the opportunity to try on the Mach1 130 MV, the Atomic Hawx Prime and the Hawx Ultra. The Mach1 130 MV seemed significantly higher volume than the Hawx Prime. Given that the Hawx Prime was a bit too high volume for me (primarily vertically) and the Hawx Ultra was too narrow for my forefoot and I didn't like how flimsy and unsubstantial the shell material felt, I had hopes that the Mach1 130 LV might end up in between the Hawx Prime and Ultra in terms of volume.

However, judging from some of the comments here that might not be the case at all at least with older model years. I would be surprised though if Tecnica really left such a big gap in terms of sizing/volume between the Mach1 MV and LV.

chopchop

so many skis, so little time
Skier
I would also be interested if somebody could comment on the relative sizing/volume between the 2019/20 Mach1 130 MV versus LV.

I recently had the opportunity to try on the Mach1 130 MV, the Atomic Hawx Prime and the Hawx Ultra. The Mach1 130 MV seemed significantly higher volume than the Hawx Prime. Given that the Hawx Prime was a bit too high volume for me (primarily vertically) and the Hawx Ultra was too narrow for my forefoot and I didn't like how flimsy and unsubstantial the shell material felt, I had hopes that the Mach1 130 LV might end up in between the Hawx Prime and Ultra in terms of volume.

However, judging from some of the comments here that might not be the case at all at least with older model years. I would be surprised though if Tecnica really left such a big gap in terms of sizing/volume between the Mach1 MV and LV.

TLDR; Mach1 shell may be a good fit if Hawx Ultra is slightly tight esp on the toe & across forefoot.

Based on living room fitting this summer I have a few thoughts regarding Mach1 LV (2020 model) vs Atomic Hawx Ultra (2020 model) (for reference, I'm 26.5; also, never tried the Mach1 MV): The toebox in the Hawx was too narrow for me. And there isn't enough overlap/material on the clog to ensure a good water seal (a problem reported with these boots). Sounds similar to your experience. It may have worked with a liner bake but didn't want to try. The Mach1 LV has a better overall fit* with a few spots that might need attention with easy mods. The instep is pretty low - right on the edge but that's before any liner packing. Toebox & forefoot width are perfect. Basic ergonomics/shape just seem more dialed-in*. Cuff height seems perfect. Plastic more stout overall (at room temp) than the grilamid. Ingress/egress are not fun at room temp.

I kept the Mach1s and, despite pretty nice stock liners, bought some zipfits. Planning on getting a cuff alignment, but that's all. We'll see how they ski.

*for my feet

Aquila

Getting on the lift
Skier
Haven't tried on the Hawx Prime or the Mach1 MV - I did spend some time in both the 19/20 Hawx Ultra and 19/20 Mach1 LV while buying new boots last year though. My personal observations were that the Hawx Ultra was noticeably tighter all around the foot than the Mach1 LV. Caveat being that I was trying these on in a very small size and the differences may not scale exactly.

The Hawx certainly doesn't have much shell overlap in some areas, I bought that boot and haven't had issues with water ingress while everything is buckled, but I undo my buckles a lot on the lift and sometimes do feel that water seeping in around the toe area... it's not a major issue though.

Could be worth getting into a Mach1 LV shell - I suspect it will indeed lie somewhere between the Ultra and Prime?

dx111

Booting up
Skier
Got a chance to try on a pair of the Mach1 LV this week. Unfortunately, I was not able to compare directly with the Hawx Ultra, but it seemed indeed to be a bit wider in the forefoot. Of course, in a 28.5 with my foot measuring 113 mm across the forefoot a punch would still be necessary. Ankle area and heel hold were exemplary, absolutely locked in, and nice and tight in the upper cuff as well.

However, what gave me pause was the extremely low instep which exerted major pressure on my slightly above average height instep. The Hawx Ultra is a lot roomier there. I saw that the tongue is grindable (although in a limited oval shaped area only) and a shell fit suggested that it might be possible to work around this issue.

chopchop

Skier
Got a chance to try on a pair of the Mach1 LV this week. Unfortunately, I was not able to compare directly with the Hawx Ultra, but it seemed indeed to be a bit wider in the forefoot. Of course, in a 28.5 with my foot measuring 113 mm across the forefoot a punch would still be necessary. Ankle area and heel hold were exemplary, absolutely locked in, and nice and tight in the upper cuff as well.

However, what gave me pause was the extremely low instep which exerted major pressure on my slightly above average height instep. The Hawx Ultra is a lot roomier there. I saw that the tongue is grindable (although in a limited oval shaped area only) and a shell fit suggested that it might be possible to work around this issue.

Instep is super tight on this model. Two thoughts:

- will you use stock liners or aftermarket (zipfit or intuition)? my zipfits reduce this issue by 50%

- you can grind the boot board (carefully) to shave off 1 or 2mm.

I had the same issue and decided to keep them because they're so dialed. Boot board reduction and thinnest possible footbed are my solutions.

dx111

Booting up
Skier
I like how the boot perfectly locks in my heel, but I'm unsure whether grinding of the tongue of the stock liner in the grindable area will sufficiently alleviate instep tightness. I would rather not grind the boot board as I'm afraid it might adversely affect alignment of my rather prominent lateral malleoli in the shell pockets.

Which model Zipfit are you using with the Mach1 LV? Same size as the shell? Here in Europe only the World Cup and Freeride models (both with Sidewinder) seem available.

chopchop

Skier
I'd research the bootboard option. a 1mm drop might be all you need.

I've got world cup stealth in same size as bootshell.

Sponsor