• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tecnica Mach 1 130 LV

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Hard to "review" a boot, since everyones foot is different. However, I can share my observations on these - contrasted with 2 other shells that I have had on my feet in the past.

Most recent shells were the first year of the Nordica Patron Pro (Dobermann) - 27.5 and had around a 6-8mm shell fit (depending on foot). Quickly moved out of the stock liner and into a Zipfit Gara (which was tight, like real tight) and shell had to be blown out a bit to handle. They were fit by Steve @ Snowbird. Needed a styloid grind right out of the box, as it was angry just being in the boot. Ran Booster inside cuff and really no other mods other than soles planed, -1/+1 and a lugged sole added. Skied "fine" for many years - but kept breaking buckles and never really fit as good as I thought boots should, and was always looking for something better.

My challenge is that I am usually skiing for a couple of days, not a week at a time and all over - so hard to just keep after it day by day. Well, tried on a bunch of boots this year and kept coming back to the Tecnica's. Nobody ever had the LV 27.5 and a MV 27.5 at the same time- and to be fair, nobody ever had the 27.5 LV 130 in stock by the time I got around to seriously looking at new shell. So, based on fits with other flex's and other data points gathered - bought them (his advice) and took them to the fitter I work with in CO.

These are really nice boots! All hardware is screwed rather than riveted. Liner is very cool in that it can easily be modded (punched/grind) and the shell has dimples to accommodate punches as well. Cantology compatible - which is cool. Great, but how do they feel/fit?

In my experience, the LV runs a hair longer in a given mondo than my Patron - my shorter foot is now a 9mm shell fit according to the pen I jammed back there and my digital caliper. The toe box is way roomier than the Patron = warmer. The shell is more contoured to my foot - i.e., my styloid did not protest in the initial fit. The power strap seems pretty cool, but I took it off immediately in favor of a Booster.

Volume is less around ankle/heel and lower leg than the Patron - could not even begin to get that Gara in there - skied them with the stock CAS liner. Instep feel higher than Patron Pro.

The other shell I've had was the Lange RX 130 Pro (orange/solid sole lug version) - i.e. the LV 97mm version. Those are huge volume wise compared to these at the same mondo size 27.5

How do they ski? Great IMHO, I had to throw the spoilers in - think that these are more upright than the Patron. good even flex - didn't seem too impacted by temp (skied them in full on winter (Wed/Fri) and a springlike day (Sat/Sun) in CO. didn't notice much difference. Feel warmer - those Patrons with Zips were a bit cold once the warmth of the Hotgear bag wore off. There also seems to be a lot of "snow feel" transmitted through boot sole - which i guess is a good thing - the Patrons had some sort of shock absorbing zeppa - the difference is immediately noticeable. Might need a little work on my left styloid area - and had little white C pads glued on one side of heel after 4 days and my -1/+1 is now -1/+1.5 might go to +2.

All in all, very nice set of shoes.

Last edited:

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My wife got the m1 95 last week and is loving them too. They seem super light weight.

GettingThere

Booting up
Skier
Glad you like them. I bought mine recently and like them a lot. Probably need to go back and get a few minor tweaks done.

TS
givethepigeye

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
My wife got the m1 95 last week and is loving them too. They seem super light weight.

Hard to tell on weight - they are lighter than the Nordica's and Zips - not sure about stock liner since its been a while.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is a very good series of boots. I know a lot went into the design from the shell where critical spots are marked and perferated to work on easier to having replacable soles that are easily removable to accommodate cantology canting strips. The CAS liner is one of the best stock liners offered right now. It is nice that the shells come in both LV and MV widths, 98 and 100mm respectively which work with all but the biggest feet.

TS
givethepigeye

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
This is a very good series of boots. I know a lot went into the design from the shell where critical spots are marked and perferated to work on easier to having replacable soles that are easily removable to accommodate cantology canting strips. The CAS liner is one of the best stock liners offered right now. It is nice that the shells come in both LV and MV widths, 98 and 100mm respectively which work with all but the biggest feet.

this is key - even a degree plus or minus on either leg makes a big difference. Ill admit I was a bit skeptical and thought of it as a "racer boi" gimmick, but seriously makes a noticeable difference.

crossing fingers on the pack out and breakdown of liner - I really like the warmth vs. the Zips and the ankle hold is really good.

mxpowder

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
To those who have skied the 2016 Mach 1 lv, is it in your opinion the lowest volume boot around the ankles? I've gone through several boots with my extremely narrow and bony heels & ankles. Currently have a pair of Atomic Redster's, with foam Nordica liners, still wishing I had more ankle lock. Thinking about trying the Mach 1 on next season, when the shops have stock. Just trying to get a list of ultra low volume boot that I want to try next season. Thanks...

TS
givethepigeye

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Totally unscientific - but my zip gara liners from my Nordicas aren't going in the heel/ankle pocket of Mach 1 without being cooked. Also I needed some work done on the liner to accommodate my ankle bones (which boot guy said was SOP on them) - which I don't recall on the Nordica. So, based on those 2 things - I'd say it's pretty narrow. Tecnica 9.8 might be narrower still.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
To those who have skied the 2016 Mach 1 lv, is it in your opinion the lowest volume boot around the ankles? I've gone through several boots with my extremely narrow and bony heels & ankles. Currently have a pair of Atomic Redster's, with foam Nordica liners, still wishing I had more ankle lock. Thinking about trying the Mach 1 on next season, when the shops have stock. Just trying to get a list of ultra low volume boot that I want to try next season. Thanks...
No, it isn't even the lowest volume Tecnica, the R9.3 is lower. All plug boots are lower, from every manufacturer are lower. With that said, the Mach1 LV has a great liner that helps with the volume an one of the best for a consumer boot.

TS
givethepigeye

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Interesting development - all of a sudden getting a bunch of pain on top to that big tendon that is on the inside and controls your big toe, think its the "extensor hallicus" or some such thing. One foot way worse than the other. The left side hurts turning right (downhill ski) same deal opposite side. Everywhere else is good. Weird since the tongue of this stock line is thicker than my Gara's, any always a process.

Also, has anyone used their boot spoiler with their Zipfits? How would you go about attaching it. Im using the spoiler on the Mach1's and didn't on the Patron Pros previously.

Last edited:
TS
givethepigeye

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Here is a picture of area of pain - only when really pressuring the cuff with some inclination as well. Any ideas on quick fixes? Boot fitter out testing.

image.jpeg

TS
givethepigeye

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I do have a footbed. Don't know about the pronate - will check my shoes for wear on inside heel (not knowing probably means no). I was using the thinnest footbed that I have (maybe not the most built/recent one) until I got some room from packing.

Just started and really pronounced when I slide off a chair, nothing while standing or skiing at a slow->moderate pace.

Thanks

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I do have a footbed. Don't know about the pronate - will check my shoes for wear on inside heel (not knowing probably means no). I was using the thinnest footbed that I have (maybe not the most built/recent one) until I got some room from packing.

Just started and really pronounced when I slide off a chair, nothing while standing or skiing at a slow->moderate pace.

Thanks
It won't always be previlent in your shoes. As a slight test, try tipping your ankle out when you flex into the boot, this straightening the ankle, if theat relieves soem of the discomfort, try a 3mm varus under the footbed, more than that might move the ankle out of the pocket.

TS
givethepigeye

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
It won't always be previlent in your shoes. As a slight test, try tipping your ankle out when you flex into the boot, this straightening the ankle, if theat relieves soem of the discomfort, try a 3mm varus under the footbed, more than that might move the ankle out of the pocket.

^Roger that. I'm canted to -1 on the side that has the most pain (left) but assume foot position inside shell and angle of shell sole are 2 distinct attributes to be addressed. Also varus is pushing ankle out, correct?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
^Roger that. I'm canted to -1 on the side that has the most pain (left) but assume foot position inside shell and angle of shell sole are 2 distinct attributes to be addressed. Also varus is pushing ankle out, correct?
Yes. Canting outside the boot is indeed different.

TS
givethepigeye

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
So...i tried a different footbed that I had (from Inkline in SLC) that would not fit in the boots right out of the box - guess they needed a bit of pack out to fit. Still have that pain on my tendon. Again only is an issue when really pressuring downhill ski and flexing boot. Had gotten some of the wedges like Phil suggested and stupid me forgot them. I had posted on the "other site" about the problem and got a couple of other suggestions. Jim S. from StartHaus seemed to have the right line (as did @Philpug) - don't treat the symptom, fix the issue. Although Im afraid I don't understand all that fancy "boot speak".

Anyone care to translate?

http://www.epicski.com/t/146683/tecnica-mach1-130-lv#post_1999479

Nick Golden

Booting up
Skier
I have the 120's and absolutely love them. I also tried on about 100 pairs and Ithe really came down to them and the Atomic Hawxs.

JohnC

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I recently picked up the Mach1 130 LV to replace my Lange RS (which was punched in key areas). I was shocked at how much lower volume (visually and fit) it was compared to my Langes. I've been breaking them in around the house and haven't noticed any hot spots, tingling of the toes, or any discomfort. I was cross shopping the Lange RX 130 LV vs. the Mach1 130 LV, I'm glad I went with the Mach1. I hope they ski as well as they feel/fit!

TS
givethepigeye

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I went from Lange RX130 LV -> Nordica Patron Pro = less volume. Then Patron Pro -> Mach1 130 LV = even lower it seems. Really good fit for me - had to do some mods on the tongue, otherwise - fantastic. Enjoy! Liners are pretty good too!

BTW - addressed the issue above in thread by cutting away some of the tongue - works so far.

Sponsor

Staff online