• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
This is pretty incredible. I'm usually not a big fan of POV, but this is pretty good at showing how much ski performance Davenport can get from a ski (and a very lightweight touring ski at that) in extremely steep terrain. Very impressed.

And Michelle is no slouch either.

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Watched ^^ yesterday. Made me feel like an absolute chump. They both rip.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree. Guys skiing almost impossible steeps, leaping cliffs, and dropping chutes at deathly speeds is all very impressive, but I have no connection to that kind of skiing (others do, I know). I'm impressed but not inspired. Watching this guy rip up inbounds terrain, though? It gets my muscles twitching.

+1

It’s the same thing with mountain biking. It’s why I love the Enduro racing videos some much. They might be going 10 times as fast as me, but most of the trails they are on, I could see myself riding too. Downhill Racing? All the big jump lines? No relation to my riding.

Back to skiing,
I agree, seeing people spin though the air, 50’ above the ground. Or skiing something that I would rope up and ice climb, pretty, but gets boring fast. Also with the heliskiing.Same with the face-shots.

I would indeed be cool if we could see more skilled athletes, ripping it up on normal terrain and conditions, ie bumped up crud, left over slush etc. in the resort. That would be inspiring, in the sense that it would show us new possibilities and levels of skill that we might be able to attain ourselves.

That’s what I have liked about a couple of Candid Thovex films. In a resort, end of season, lots of bare spots, and he’s still having a blast!
Not technical skiing in the sense of the original post though.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FIFY ;)

I'd rather see it with a few FIS or WC athletes... or the Projected Productions crew. Most interesting would be collective insight into the level of technical training and physical conditioning it takes to ski like this. I don't think most have a clue on either front.

OK, here is some guy who skis in FIS events doing some free skiing, he says he’s working on some technical skills to play around a bit:

Guide says he looks a bit like a tourist ;-)

https://www.redbull.com/us-en/video-aksel-lund-svindal-goes-freeskiing

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok back to the original thread:

Basically any video from this whole series:

Last edited:

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Second video?? Can't keep his wright off the inside ski, and he teaches?

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Can't keep his wright off the inside ski

Yeah, yet amazing how the inside ski doesn't take off on him in the crud. How does he do that? Anyway, I suppose we should stay on track and keep posting interesting videos. Food for thought though.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah, yet amazing how the inside ski doesn't take off on him in the crud. How does he do that? Anyway, I suppose we should stay on track and keep posting interesting videos. Food for thought though.
I just don't think he skis that well

James

Out There
Instructor
I just don't think he skis that well
What he says though is pretty good. People greatly underestimate the amount of adaptation that's going on esp in crud snow, wind affected etc. They see someone who outwardly looks smooth and think that it's smooth sailing for that person because they are good. It may actually be a lot of work. Also why people love nice untracked light powder.

Sponsor