• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I love the technical skiing videos posted frequently here -- but they mostly consist of beautiful skiers on groomed terrain making perfect turns. Rarely am I on groomed terrain if other terrain is available: chutes, bowls, trees, etc.

So post up your favorite videos of technically rad skiers, taking their form too non-groomed terrain. (And not just bumps.)

Along these lines....

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
I love watching Andreas Spettel turn it up off piste in Project Hintertux: Here's a trailer with a brief portion of it:

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/projecthintertux/187931466

Ballou makes some nice work in Sodbuster:

Here's Annie Black skiing at Highlands. She is pretty impressive as she is; even more so since she is over 60 in these videos.

Just a couple.

Mike

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I've posted this one before in another context. But, I absolutely love the skiing through the pillows. Sure, EHj can do aerials with the best of them. But, I've not seen videos of pro skiers with this level of technical skill, skill to the point that it's beautiful. The analogy would be a ballet dancer, very athletic, very technically skilled, but makes it look effortless.

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
@Mike King -- looks like the Annie Hall one didn't get attached?

@karlo -- Hoji is my favorite current film pro. Beautiful skier.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I love this one too. Excellent skiing that's within striking range of us common folk, not straight-lining down impossibly steep spines, faces or chutes.

There's a shorter version that i think is the better video overall, but some good tree skiing is edited out.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
oh, and another one I've watched over and over. And over. Sorry if I'm having the thread. Does this count as offpiste?

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This is another favorite of mine. I just love the smooth turns in tight space starting at 1:02.

@jmeb, thank you for starting this thread.[/QUOTE

Right, Julia is on a completely different level than all the other skiers shown in this thread.
She skis perfectly in terrain where falling means dying.

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
Here is one of the more unique, potentially inspiring (depending on your tastes) videos of off-piste skiing that I've found. The approach is different from what we might normally think of when describing off-piste skiing, and is certainly different from the normal short-turn 'bouncy' powder skiing that we see from instructor-types. At almost a decade old, it is still highly relevant today and there are still not many examples of skiing like this anywhere. I own the full DVD and it is impressive.

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
I like this video of Tuckerman Ravine because of the steep, icy top. Gives me chills just watching it! (starts @ 2:07)

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
This series will keep you busy for awhile.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
different from what we might normally think of when describing off-piste skiing

Yes, thank you! This is great. Skiing wind affected powder is absolutely a blast. I've been looking for a video like this.

These guys are carving, but, when it's steep enough, one can ski straight down the fall line like it's powder. And, I mean straight literally, with head and shoulders and COM not deviating from a straight line. The crust and snow these guys are throwing, one becomes enveloped by it. It's like bring in a warp field, quiet inside with tremendous turbulence outside. I haven't found a video of that, but the turbulence is, as seen in the above-mentioned Alta Powder Skiing video, like that seen at 0:29, straight lining like at 1:07, at a rhythm, or quicker, like seen at 1:51, to control speed.

Last edited:
TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Here is one of the more unique, potentially inspiring (depending on your tastes) videos of off-piste skiing that I've found. The approach is different from what we might normally think of when describing off-piste skiing, and is certainly different from the normal short-turn 'bouncy' powder skiing that we see from instructor-types. At almost a decade old, it is still highly relevant today and there are still not many examples of skiing like this anywhere. I own the full DVD and it is impressive.

Thanks @HeluvaSkier -- that is exactly the sort of stuff I'm talking about looking for. Energetic, powerful, skillful skiing in a variety of snow conditions. I agree with your assessment that there isn't a whole lot of stuff out there like it. Most of the big freeskiing edits are now on other-worldly terrain with other-worldly snow conditions skiing at other-worldly speeds. Occasionally skiers show off some technical turns (McConkey, Coombs and Hoji stand out for me in this regard), but often the turns seem a second thought.

Wish I could find the whole video of that for a reasonable price...amazon has a used copy for >$60 which is about 3x what I'd be willing to pay.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I agree with your assessment that there isn't a whole lot of stuff out there like it. Most of the big freeskiing edits are now on other-worldly terrain with other-worldly snow conditions skiing at other-worldly speeds.

Unsurprisingly, that video is Japanese. When viewed at the Youtube site, one of the videos that came up down the list was

Where else in the world would there be a video named "How to Free Ski"?

Then, one i came across a few years ago,

The discerning (judge?) is perhaps explaining what a perfect carve is.

Then, there is of course the Japanese snowboarders. Love them. They are taught the "right" way is to link turns and stay in a lane. No scraping snow from top to bottom in Japan, except by the Aussies.

Anyway, I suspect there are a lot more offpiste technical videos. We just need to find them using Japanese language search words.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks @HeluvaSkier -- that is exactly the sort of stuff I'm talking about looking for. Energetic, powerful, skillful skiing in a variety of snow conditions. I agree with your assessment that there isn't a whole lot of stuff out there like it. Most of the big freeskiing edits are now on other-worldly terrain with other-worldly snow conditions skiing at other-worldly speeds. Occasionally skiers show off some technical turns (McConkey, Coombs and Hoji stand out for me in this regard), but often the turns seem a second thought.

Wish I could find the whole video of that for a reasonable price...amazon has a used copy for >$60 which is about 3x what I'd be willing to pay.
That video was great.

Sponsor

Staff online