• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tech bindings for resort skiing?

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
'K, gotcha. Didn't realise you were talking about the Alpine race sole scenario.

AFAICT until we see new numbers for WTR/Gripwalk soles we might as well assume they're similar as for AT soles.
True! Let's see some durometer values!

Just because I can't press my thumbnail into the Vibram sole of the Scarpa Maestralle 2 AT boot (room temp), doesn't mean Jeff Campbell can't.

Will be interesting to "unscientifically" fingernail test compare the Scarpa's Vibram sole hardness to the Tecnica Zero G Tour Pro Vibram sole's touted hardened AFD interface areas at toe and heel and Nordica Promachine 130 "firm" Michelin rubber Grip Walk sole (Promachine 130 also comes with optional ISO 5355 alpine soles), when I have the three boots at my home to play with.

TS
jcat

jcat

Booting up
Skier
OMG. You lost me with all the tech talk. But glad to have opened up this issue! ;)

Bottom line: I bought the Shifts, they're cheaper from Europe, and I'm currently selling my Dynafits. Wish me luck! And I'll report back!!

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Just a note on Grip Walk

The Dalbello soles are fitted with "hard" plugs both ball of foot and heel. So the durometer of the lug sole is not particularly relevant. Other makers may do "dual compound" as well. Check carefully during testing... ;-)

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
OMG. You lost me with all the tech talk. But glad to have opened up this issue! ;)

Bottom line: I bought the Shifts, they're cheaper from Europe, and I'm currently selling my Dynafits. Wish me luck! And I'll report back!!

jcat,
I was going to add my support for the Shift's, but doesn't really matter so much as you've gone ahead and bought them. For what you want to do with them, then I think you will be very happy with them. I've always been a bit weary about jumping straight onto new tech myself and I have to admit I was a little nervous about trying something so revolutionary (might be a strong word but as others have said, I think this binding will be a game-changer and could make frame-bindings obsolete) and it looked like it has a lot of plastic in it.

Well, I've been on that binding all winter and then this summer too and I can honestly say I am very impressed by it. They've held up well to a lot of skiing and touring and general abuse from travel and have showed no signs of wear. That "plastic" I was concerned about, is infused with carbon and is very strong. I thought I might lose that lever on the front (caught it in a few trees in Japan and didn't rip the thing off) but it stayed on. The stay on when I need them to in downhill mode and release when I need them to. Transitions are quick and they tour well-enough. I didn't have a problem with only 10 degrees of rise, that forced me to keep my skin tracks more undulating and I don't think that's a bad thing.

Please also note, that this is arguably not a binding in it's first season of use. According to the CO agent for Salomon, the binding has been in it's commercial form (unchanged) for the last 2 seasons and it's had a lot of solid skiers try them out. I believe (don't quote me on this as someone else might have different numbers on this), but when I asked the agent about how many pairs of bindings were out in the field last winter, he said it was around 400. That's a decent user pool (both in quantity and likely quality).

So the same binding will be on sale for the upcoming season and this will be the third season of use, though it will obviously be it's first commercial season of use with a much-bigger user pool. We'll see what happens when it is released to the public, but I personally, was very happy with them this season and will be skiing on them again in 2019. I look forward to hearing your thoughts to them when you've skied on them. Enjoy!

- Matt

TS
jcat

jcat

Booting up
Skier
Matt, thank you for that info! Glad that you've enjoyed them, and I'm jealous that you've skied in Japan!

I bought them in their 'Atomic' form from a shop in Europe, where it does seem that they've been used (as you've said) a lot before making their way to the States. So, I'm pleased with this purchase, and excited to see how they/I feel on them!

Thanks again! I'll report back! Now I just need to get in shape...;)

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just a note on Grip Walk

The Dalbello soles are fitted with "hard" plugs both ball of foot and heel. So the durometer of the lug sole is not particularly relevant. Other makers may do "dual compound" as well. Check carefully during testing... ;-)
I konw, it was Glenn Plake's idea from the Dalbello Virus AT boot, a design he had a hand in ~ 10 years ago. He held a patent on it.

- Jeff Campbell spoke of "the fingernail" test in his video. To me, that form of measurement is too subjective. @cantunamunch and I were talking about a more accurate way to determine the hardness of the binding interface sections (models I'm interested in), with and without the dual hardness binding interface feature, including Grip Walk and standard "hard rubber" Alpine soles.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was working while he was talking about that I guess. I'll have to watch it again. I'd need a high speed camera for that. :) It'll be a good use of my new phone's camera. I'll use the VT Calibrater.

I frequently test my as well as my customers moveable AFDs. I like your thinking about Teflon as insurance.
RE: "speedbumps" - you can begin at 10min40sec in - pay attention from 11min23sec onward to 12min26sec.

Again, I'm not doubting his results with the gear he tested, I just don't see it when placing the Scarpa Maestralle 2 boot into my ski with a Look Pivot 12 WTR binding. Not to say I'd actually ski that combination. I am curious about the Salomon Shift in Alpine mode with the above AT beef boot and it's tech toe fittings as well as with the 18/19 Tecnica G-Zero Tour Pro boot.

Last edited:

Sponsor