• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Teaching blind people to ski

SkiVt

Booting up
Pass Pulled
I want to post to try and get people interested teaching blind people to ski, has anyone else on this site helped out with programs such as BOLD? You wear blindfolds during training to get the feeling of what visually impaired people are facing.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Are you involved in that BOLD program? Or otherwise involved with teaching blind people to ski @SkiVt?

I've seen some blind skiers out on nearby hills (Whitetail)... and I've seen it in the back bowls of Vail. Amazing... really amazing... to see blind folks getting out and enjoying it and skiing well. I'm not an instructor, but hopefully others may jump in.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When I see the adaptive coaches and volunteers practicing (usually early season); they definitely do roleplay to try to understand the student perspective.

But ultimately as far programs go, it seems Adaptive programs cast a wider net to cover more types of Adaptive, and not so narrow to only cover Visual Impairment Adaptive .
If you're on the teaching track, there is a PSIAA Adaptive Certification and a national standard, and formal structure; of which Visual is a module.

Last edited:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Oh wanted to clarify; if you want to Volunteer I think most programs will take advanced skiers to help. You don't need to be pursuing a PSIA career in ski instructing/teaching. You will still be welcome and be assisting or helping the instructor as a 2:1.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We had a post about this kid who skied the Big Couloir, but for some reason I can't find it.

TS
S

SkiVt

Booting up
Pass Pulled
I think it’s great to see some reply’s, of course theirs other types of impairments but often you can’t tell if a person is visually impaired as they often do not wear orange vests etc , it’s good to have people be aware of their surroundings and understanding of what visually impaired people go through rather than having them be the butt of jokes
I have been involved in helping all kinds of impaired people ski, snow is an equalizer

TS
S

SkiVt

Booting up
Pass Pulled
I was PSIA L2 adaptive. Visual imparied is only 1 type of adaptive training. Skiing blindfolded on a easy groomer takes alot trust in yourself as well as 2 handlers.
Try it on any slope, improve your skills, when you ski deep powder in the trees you often have to react to conditions under foot that you don’t see, or like the rain and fog for today’s conditions

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I've never heard anyone speak ill of the visually imparied. I worked for 18 yrs with the adaptive program. It was a rewarding experience to see an athlete that you worked with in the X games, ect.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My son swam as a paraswimmer (high-level world ranked). Swimming, skiing or any other para-sport has taught me one thing, para athletes are out to do well regardless of the level, they always worry if they are good enough, the fact is they give more effort than able bodied athletes as they feel they must prove themselves.

Having been involved at the level that I have, I’ll work with any disability as they always work to improve. No ego.

I you can do it, it falls under the priceless definition.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes. I did that. I taught adaptive for over 10 years. When I was "trained" to teach blind we were blindfolded and took turns "teaching". My trainee teacher put me in the wrong spot on a center-pole chairlift which knocked me down and dragged me for what seemed like forever. Gave me a deep appreciation of the courage it takes to do that and the importance of trust between skier and guide.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
@SkiVt, I am also an Adaptive Level II and PSIA-E Master Teacher with a bit over 20 years of experience. Have you taught with Vermont Adaptive Ski and Sport? They are a great organization and do great work.

Sponsor

Staff online