• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
Hi, everyone,

Over the next few weeks (if the snow stops falling for a day or two), I'd like to demo some skinnier all mountain skis. Currently I have a one ski quiver - the old non-metal Nordica Santa Ana 100 from 2 years ago - that I use for pretty much everything here in southern Alberta. This is really my ski that does it all - and I love it. I really really really love it. - so much that I'm worried about what I'm going to do when this ski is done. I love everything about this ski - especially how it feels in soft snow, and how easy it is to turn, and its 'surfiness' in powder. However, It's not super happy when there hasn't been snow for a while, and there are no freshies to be found, and when the bumps have tranitioned from soft to big and icy.

I've decided that my one ski Alberta quiver really needs to be a two ski Alberta quiver, and I'd like to check out some skis, and maybe pick up some skis through some end-of-season deals. But... I need your help, because I really don't know much about skis in general, and definitely not about skinnier skis.

So, here is my info, and please recommend away! I'm open to women's and men's skis.

5'8" height, weight usually falls somewhere between 195 and 215. I ski mostly Lake Louise and Sunshine Village, with trips to Fernie, Revy. I would categorize myself probably as a low advanced skier. I can pretty much get down any western black, not always elegantly. If there is lots and lots of powder, I might venture onto a double black, but I'm still trying to work up to those. I don't stay away from any kind of terrain - I like it all, and I've been trying to become a better bump skier over the past year. I'm pretty good in anything soft, but do get nervous when bumps are big and icy (which they often are in Lake Louise's back bowls). I'd like to try something between 75 and 85 underfoot - good for dry spells, and also for working on technique. I want to up my ski game. Something that would be easier in hard icy bumps would be great as well. When I was an advancing intermediate, I had the 2014 cambered Volkl Kenjas, and I liked those generally, but they were very difficult to maneuver in the bumps.

So...any recommendations?

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hi, everyone,

Over the next few weeks (if the snow stops falling for a day or two), I'd like to demo some skinnier all mountain skis. Currently I have a one ski quiver - the old non-metal Nordica Santa Ana 100 from 2 years ago - that I use for pretty much everything here in southern Alberta. This is really my ski that does it all - and I love it. I really really really love it. - so much that I'm worried about what I'm going to do when this ski is done. I love everything about this ski - especially how it feels in soft snow, and how easy it is to turn, and its 'surfiness' in powder. However, It's not super happy when there hasn't been snow for a while, and there are no freshies to be found, and when the bumps have tranitioned from soft to big and icy.

I've decided that my one ski Alberta quiver really needs to be a two ski Alberta quiver, and I'd like to check out some skis, and maybe pick up some skis through some end-of-season deals. But... I need your help, because I really don't know much about skis in general, and definitely not about skinnier skis.

So, here is my info, and please recommend away! I'm open to women's and men's skis.

5'8" height, weight usually falls somewhere between 195 and 215. I ski mostly Lake Louise and Sunshine Village, with trips to Fernie, Revy. I would categorize myself probably as a low advanced skier. I can pretty much get down any western black, not always elegantly. If there is lots and lots of powder, I might venture onto a double black, but I'm still trying to work up to those. I don't stay away from any kind of terrain - I like it all, and I've been trying to become a better bump skier over the past year. I'm pretty good in anything soft, but do get nervous when bumps are big and icy (which they often are in Lake Louise's back bowls). I'd like to try something between 75 and 85 underfoot - good for dry spells, and also for working on technique. I want to up my ski game. Something that would be easier in hard icy bumps would be great as well. When I was an advancing intermediate, I had the 2014 cambered Volkl Kenjas, and I liked those generally, but they were very difficult to maneuver in the bumps.

The good news is, I love a good ski that will help up the game.
The great news is, we just spent four days at SIA/OR checking out the new stuff for 2019 and the big trend is front side carvers.
I can elaborate more on the skis in this thread from last year, but my head is spinning and I would prefer to give you advice from a fresh head.
https://forum.pugski.com/threads/tricias-2018-thumbnail-reviews-sub-73mm-carving-skis.4491/

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

There are many skis out there that fit the persona you're trying to fill. I'll give you one from my own experience, as I have a similar love for my Santa Ana's (non-metal version)...like best-ski-ever kind of love. This year I picked up a Volkl RTM 84 to compliment my Santa Anas, and compliment they do. They're a fantastic, versatile ski with some chops for hard-pack but with a forgiving nature about them. They excel in the medium radius turns but can handle larger or smaller with a little extra effort from the driver. They're narrow enough for firm turns, but if you find yourself finding some stashes left over from last week's storm, they're wide enough to still have a good time.

If you want a ski a little lighter and a bit less demanding, but equally stable, try the RTM's sister ski, the Flair.

As for others in the category, I think the Head Supershapes have a well deserved following, as well as the sister, the Super Joy. Then as Tricia said, there's a lot coming out...so I think it also depends on if you're leaning towards pick up a ski on discount at the end of this year or wait until next year.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Michael loves his RTM 84s. I really like my Head Super shape Rally. 76 underfoot with a wide shovel so it's great on the hard stuff but handles a few inches of pow as well. I love, love, love my Head Rally's. I also like the Titan which is 80 underfoot and a large shovel as well. Another ski I had that was the Atomic Redster XTI now the X7, insane edge bite and very easy to turn. I saw a lot of carvers when we were at Louise last week. After 2 years in a row to Lake Louise and Sunshine my general guideline will be a carver for LL and pow ski at Sunshine :) When we demoed last year at Lake Louise I was very impressed by the demo center at the base of the mountain. They have some excellent choices including the Volkl RTM 84 and the Super Joy.

Last edited:
TS
albertanskigirl

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
This is a great start, everyone. Thanks! Thanks @Tricia for the link, I've been looking through and will be eagerly awaiting the news from the SIA about frontside/narrower skis!

So far, I'm thinking, as a preliminary list:

Dynastar Intense 12 (very interested in their apparent ease in the bumps!)
Volkl RTM84
Volkl Flair series
Nordica Sentra SL7
Black Pearl 78
Head Rally

I think I might be too heavy for the Super Joy? I'm not sure what to think about the Joy series, because they seem to be good for lighterweight skiers, but I could be wrong about that.

Looks like this week will not be great for trying carvers in Alberta:
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Sunshine/6day/mid

:)

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I personally don't care for the Joy series (Super Joy or the Total Joy) and like the Head Supershape series much better. Try the Super Joy. I found it very capable on the steep hard pack groomers of Lake Louise but I didn't care for how freakishly light it was. It's worth a shot though because everyone likes different things. Perhaps the RTM 81 also. Michael had this before the 84 and still skis it as his rock ski. He loves them. I also had an insane amount of fun on the Volkl Kanjo which is the male version of the Yumi. Softer like the yumi but with titanium band in it but it's still soft and playful but it has the guts of a Kendo/Kenja. 83 underfoot and a ton of fun!! I think this would also be good in bumps/trees.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Last edited:

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
Look for something with a 75mm waist, but a large shovel in the 120-125mm range.
I have tended to think of the shovel size as basically a function of sidecut radius and length. Or do manufacturers manipulate the geometry to make it partially independent?

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
Yep tip, waist, tail width combined result in the turn radius. A turny 12m or 13m ski will have that narrow waist and wide tip, but may not be what everyone wants. I'd suggest something 78 mm or less in the waist with a flex pattern that makes it very versatile in crud, shallow fresh, bumps, as well as great on hard pack and OK on those icy bumps she mentions, and look for less than 15 m turn radius. The only rocker would be what the marketing department put into the ads.

Would a ski like a 170 cm Supershape (Rally or Titan) work for the OP? Seems long, but the stiffness will be needed. A ski like a Supershape 163 might not have enough backbone for a skier of that weight. Would a ski in the K2 Charger series have enough stiffness at 168, or would the 175 respond better? Nordica Sentra SL7 170? Fischer My Curv 171?

TS
albertanskigirl

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
Yep tip, waist, tail width combined result in the turn radius. A turny 12m or 13m ski will have that narrow waist and wide tip, but may not be what everyone wants. I'd suggest something 78 mm or less in the waist with a flex pattern that makes it very versatile in crud, shallow fresh, bumps, as well as great on hard pack and OK on those icy bumps she mentions, and look for less than 15 m turn radius. The only rocker would be what the marketing department put into the ads.

Would a ski like a 170 cm Supershape (Rally or Titan) work for the OP? Seems long, but the stiffness will be needed. A ski like a Supershape 163 might not have enough backbone for a skier of that weight. Would a ski in the K2 Charger series have enough stiffness at 168, or would the 175 respond better? Nordica Sentra SL7 170? Fischer My Curv 171?

Yup - 170 is usually what I like to ski in a narrower ski. For more floaty skis, I look at 177 and 185. Head Rally and Nordica Sentra are definitely on my list to try. I'm not familiar with the Fischers - I'll take a look. I haven't really check out K2 skis - I know I like the feel of their wider skis, but I haven't ever skied anything of theirs that is under 90. Thanks @PTskier

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I was starting to find my 2016 Head Rally in a 163 lacking backbone so I just picked up a pair of Rally's in a 170. I've skied my Rally most days this season so far so I find it incredibly versatile. The Rally is great because it doesn't punish you if you aren't on your game that day but if you are it rewards you. I'm excited to hear all about your demo day :). Although judging by the pending forecast I don't think you'll be having one immediately soon.

;) :beercheer:

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Another voice for the RTM 84.
Even if I skied the skinny assed Elan speed waves today. (Eastern FIRM!)

Sponsor

Staff online