• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
I skied solo the last run of the day on Friday and got totally lost on the traverse - Around the Headwall Traverse to Rock Garden Traverse area. No one else on the mountain. No trees in sight. Did a step or two in each direction to figure out which way was down - to no success. Did that for ~5 min. Was bailed out by a couple of sliders who came by and found my bearings by following where they went. Very, very scary. Won't ski solo in that crap again.
Wow, that's really bad. Glad it worked out.
You're talking this area?:
IMG_4550.PNG

Not knowing which way is down to the lift at the top of Targhee could potentially be fatal quickly. A couple weeks before the epic gathering an Australian taking a picture, later determined to be inside the rope, broke off the cornice and fell multiple cliffs a total of like 230 feet. Survived without major injury afaik.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I had heard the story of the Aussie before I took my very first chair ride on Dreamcatcher. Got off at the top and had to wait 5 minutes for someone else to get off the lift to point me in the right direction. Freaked me out for sure but by noon it was clear as a bell with almost no one on the mountain. We will be skiing GT first week of March for a couple of days, got shut out last year due to 60 mph winds.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 38992

Not knowing which way is down to the lift at the top of Targhee could potentially be fatal quickly. A couple weeks before the epic gathering an Australian taking a picture, later determined to be inside the rope, broke off the cornice and fell multiple cliffs a total of like 230 feet. Survived without major injury afaik.
That's the area. I avoid that lift when it's foggy. I have enough trouble on Blackfoot in the fog.
Sacajawea is decent in the fog due to the trees, but its south-facing aspect makes the snow not quite as good over there as often. I've also gotten more untracked powder over there than anywhere else...so, it's all relative!

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 38992

Correct on the area. Inside the rope? I am a bit confused. Maybe they were too far skier's right and fell off the back side? Would have to have fallen over a snowbank? Note: I have been there in good viz (think I may have skied a run or two with ya), and inbounds there aren't any cliffs.

The main issue with where I was at was Rock Garden has moderate fall-aways on either side (away from the boundary ropes.) If you went a few feet in the wrong direction, you'd fall down ~5 feet initially. Could hurt yourself though. My main issue was getting too far to skier's left and not too far skier's right (boundary ropes?)

What worked for me for skiing in the extreme fog:
  1. Only do straight traverses across the hill. Easier to do on the Green Traverse to lookers right.
  2. Stop, do a straight fall line descent to either the nearest set of trees in front of you or parallel to you.
  3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 or just step 2.
The dogleg from Headwall Traverse to Rock Garden was problematic and I avoided it the next day. Get smarter each day do I.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Correct on the area. Inside the rope? I am a bit confused. Maybe to far skier's right and fell off the back side?
Yeah, off the backside. If I remember correctly, he was taking photos. The original stroy was he had ducked the rope to get a better picture, but it was eventually determined that the cornice broke off inside the rope.

I'm a little fuzzy on this. Weren't there two similar backside incidents not too long apart?

James

Out There
Instructor
Afaik, it wasn't foggy when he was taking photos and fell off. It was at the top though. They rescued him by chopper and choppers wouldn't go in fog. I think the cornice broke off like 20 ft back from the lip. But I'm not totally clear on that.

There was another incident of someone up near the top of the chair or whatever structure is there. I think they went under a rope to take photos or get a view.They fell off and were killed I believe.

Fog in totally unknown terrain is difficult. If it's questionable exposure you might have to stay in place.

What I discovered in Chamonix was mainly stop trying to see. You can't, so trying just sets yourself up to go crazy and or be very timid. I figured this out asking wtf? when I was getting passed by other skiers in fog and the people were not good skiers.

Do regular turns, focus on the turn. How much are you going up, edge angle, skidding/carving, accelerating etc. that gives a sense of the pitch. Plus it's something to occupy the mind.

The "feel with your feet" thing to me is just another form of trying to see. Plus it's too late. You're going to feel it anyway, you can't control the surface. Focus more on what the feet are doing to the skis.

I used to do the uphill pole drag to feel the slope. But it's a bad habit in my regular skiing so I eliminated that. I might tap though just to get some feedback or again have something to occupy a mind that wants to freak out with no visual cues.

Breathe.
There prob will come a monent of freak out. Then just stop and try to regroup. No sense fighting it.

In terms of the stop trying to see, my analogy is if the lights go off and you need to cross a room. Now you could freak and imagine Freddy Kruger coming out of the closet. But nothing has changed in the seconds it got dark. So the mind is just making stuff up. In the fog it wants to do the same.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I used to do the uphill pole drag to feel the slope. But it's a bad habit in my regular skiing so I eliminated that. I might tap though just to get some feedback or again have something to occupy a mind that wants to freak out with no visual cues.

Fuck dude, I was doing the hokey pokey with my skis while stopped and still couldn't figger out which way was down or where the hell I was at. I thought I knew where I was at from skiing the same route several times, but my internal skiing compass was off - as @SKI-3PO will attest to on the previous run. I did know that I was safely in-bounds and no cliffs around.

Trees, trees, gimmie trees. There were none in sight.

James

Out There
Instructor
I was doing the hokey pokey with my skis while stopped and still couldn't figger out which way was down or where the hell I was at.
That's a serious problem!
Kind of like a diver not knowing which way is up. So, how could one go about using a sort of watch which way the bubbles go?

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
The pine boughs laid down at the top in the worse visibility areas were key to any success in getting going in a reasonable direction. Repeating the same runs in succession also helped avoid hazards like unexpected 5 foot drops and invisible traverses.

The snow was great. The parking lot was fuller than I had ever seen in 5ish previous visits. Is the low snowpack to the south bringing those skiers north? Either way, other than 1 decent lift line Dreamcatcher at about 10:30, that lift was essentially ski on. We assumed the lack of visibility was keeping people off the snow.

The ski patrol pine tree trail does help- then take the headwall traverse and feel your way down to the Blackfoot traverse to Chief Joes bowl and cut across into the trees and bunps runs below the Good-Bad and Ugly. Most days the vis improves a bunch and you can see. This is where I spend most of my day when the fog appears. Can't wait to get out of OH-10 to see the Tetons again next week!

Yes, I have ran into a lot of folks from CO to CAL and it is all the same story. But most of the time there is no line at the Blackfoot lift. 90% anyhow.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The ski patrol pine tree trail does help- then take the headwall traverse and feel your way down to the Blackfoot traverse to Chief Joes bowl and cut across into the trees and bunps runs below the Good-Bad and Ugly. Most days the vis improves a bunch and you can see. This is where I spend most of my day when the fog appears. Can't wait to get out of OH-10 to see the Tetons again next week!

Yes, I have ran into a lot of folks from CO to CAL and it is all the same story. But most of the time there is no line at the Blackfoot lift. 90% anyhow.

I find Chief Joes Bowl to be a PITA in the fog.

Our money run was exit right to Teton Vista Traverse (pine Edit: boughs - used the wrong word - there too), just past first traverse dog leg head straight down with trees on left, carefully stop at bamboo where traverse cuts back (the main tricky part), go over traverse, aim for first set of trees below you. When at those trees, aim for next below you. When you run out of trees, traverse left across the hill to the ridge of trees. You are then at Patroller Chute to Crazy Horse Woods area. It may sound more complicated, but you always have trees in sight (or pine boughs), and are always going straight down the fall line to a set of trees or doing a traverse across the hill.

Last edited:

HarkinBanks

Booting up
Skier
Point of clarification...

GTSP puts out small (2-4”) pine boughs (harvested from downed trees - blown over by high winds), not pine cones, out on the upper parts of TVT, Short Fuse, and Headwall Traverse.

They also have “Fog Flags” (bamboo with day-glow orange flagging on the tops) that are on the upper parts of TVT and the Headwall Traverse.

All of this is placed to help guests find their way down out of the fog to areas with more trees.

HB