• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
Things look pretty good up there over the next few days. I may do a little chase this weekend. Would anyone be around to make some turns Sat and Sun?
Just got back from St. George- raining down there- Will be up Thursday- and more than likely the rest of the week! PM me and we can make a few turns if u like

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
Snow- then a little more- some small flakes, some smaller, some bigger some a little wet, some not so much...a little more here.... Oh yea, not too many skiers... Sounds like Targhee in January... wonder where I will be tomorrow...

Today @ 2 PM - done for the day.
101_0617.JPG

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
Tomorrow came... and so did the MLK weekend hordes! 11" of new snow in the last 24hrs. 23" in last three days. And more coming. Was snowing when I left at 1:30 this afternoon-actually snowed all day. Would say another 3-4"? not blower either- fairly wet- packed out quick. Filled in the bump troughs and they were skiing great. Imagine the crowd will be even bigger tomorrow- and no new forcast for a few days now...

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Tomorrow came... and so did the MLK weekend hordes! 11" of new snow in the last 24hrs. 23" in last three days. And more coming. Was snowing when I left at 1:30 this afternoon-actually snowed all day. Would say another 3-4"? not blower either- fairly wet- packed out quick. Filled in the bump troughs and they were skiing great. Imagine the crowd will be even bigger tomorrow- and no new forcast for a few days now...
Heading that way next Thursday for four days. The forecast looks REALLY good. We'll see!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll be up there Saturday. Quick warm up half day, on my way to JH to meet "the boys" for our annual trip.

Big-ish guy. Maroon parka with Orange helmet. If any pugskiers spot me, give a shout!

This will be Day 1 for me this year. Never has that come so late in the season, but Mt. Hood has been far less than inspiring.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll be up there Saturday. Quick warm up half day, on my way to JH to meet "the boys" for our annual trip.

Big-ish guy. Maroon parka with Orange helmet. If any pugskiers spot me, give a shout!

This will be Day 1 for me this year. Never has that come so late in the season, but Mt. Hood has been far less than inspiring.
IF you can see us, and vice versa! Could be a classic stormy/foggy day up there, based on the forecast! Yesterday was a hoot--all groomer skiing really, but boy, they were fabulous! I'm happy to report that one of the runs that I had a panic attack on last season (see my fear thread) I skied down like it was no big deal. Over and over!
Good times. We saw a guy doing some seriously "retro" ski moves and got a real kick out of that, too.
Anyway, Saturday's looking to be a decent powder day!

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
IF you can see us, and vice versa! Could be a classic stormy/foggy day up there, based on the forecast! Yesterday was a hoot--all groomer skiing really, but boy, they were fabulous! I'm happy to report that one of the runs that I had a panic attack on last season (see my fear thread) I skied down like it was no big deal. Over and over!
Good times. We saw a guy doing some seriously "retro" ski moves and got a real kick out of that, too.
Anyway, Saturday's looking to be a decent powder day!

Back in Idaho will be at Targhee Sunday- if you guys are around I will be on the Blackfoot chair -green and brown shell- big squares- By the way- I-15 south of Nephi was a S**t show of people with NO idea of how to drive in snow. Apparently, increasing following distance when roads are snow packed is no longer taught in driver's ed- only how to manipulate a smart phone when driving- gotta have your priorities!! The roads north of SLC were mostly clear and dry-wet in a few places

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Back in Idaho will be at Targhee Sunday- if you guys are around I will be on the Blackfoot chair -green and brown shell- big squares- By the way- I-15 south of Nephi was a S**t show of people with NO idea of how to drive in snow. Apparently, increasing following distance when roads are snow packed is no longer taught in driver's ed- only how to manipulate a smart phone when driving- gotta have your priorities!! The roads north of SLC were mostly clear and dry-wet in a few places
Will keep an eye out! The past two days have been awesome! Very typical Grand Foggy today, hoping that lifts tomorrow for some bluebird skiing.
I'll most likely be in this tomorrow, boyfriend wears bright yellow ArcTeryx with gray pants and is a very good skier. We're skiing with another couple from Ogden, all phenomenal skiers. I'm the slow one of the bunch!
26814538_10215526476101364_7459317962792038951_n.jpg

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry for the brief "hello!" I was with a group that kept getting bigger and bigger! Part of our group was Scott Kauf, who was a world cup mogul skier in his day, and whose daughter is heading to the Olympics! What fun! So, I just tagged along.
We ended up over on Dreamcatcher, and I'm glad we did. After spending the bulk of our 4 days on Blackfoot, the skies cleared and we were able to get a much better lay of the land on the Dreamcatcher terrain. What a hoot! I found plenty of lower-angle glades off-piste to work on my crud skills, and boy was the snow nice! One of these days, I want to spend a day cat skiing.
I also spent a good portion of the day (the entire 4 days, for that matter) working on some fundamentals with the manfriend, who's a PSIA L3. My brushed turns are finally showing some carving and I'm REALLY excited about that.

We got a kick out of the guy in the red outfit who was lapping Blackfoot 3 out of the 4 days doing some serious old school moves. Apparently, he's well known there?
Anyway, just a few pictures:
27073281_10215543361523489_2462501260322043992_n.jpg
26906934_10215543426405111_7603744821413438827_n.jpg
26805286_10215526476181366_626914278364198307_n.jpg

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
No problem! Glad u had a good time and good conditions (vis for GT, anyway). No fear issues either? Was pretty rough today, 16" of new, honest blower! Got skied up pretty quick but fluffy crud is fun too!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
No problem! Glad u had a good time and good conditions (vis for GT, anyway). No fear issues either? Was pretty rough today, 16" of new, honest blower! Got skied up pretty quick but fluffy crud is fun too!
No fear issues! I skied a few runs that I freaked out on last year, too, so I'm really happy about that!
If Utah keeps getting skunked, I have a feeling we'll be back up there this season. We just love it there.
And 16 inches since we left?! Wow! That would have been a riot!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
After a hilarious group circular debate, we headed over the pass yesterday and hit GT.

What to say other than darn special day. Light, deep snow, short lines in the AM, and none in the PM. Perfect untracked AM turned into perfect ego crud PM.

Going to grab soft leftovers at JH today, then homeward bound.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
After a hilarious group circular debate, we headed over the pass yesterday and hit GT.

What to say other than darn special day. Light, deep snow, short lines in the AM, and none in the PM. Perfect untracked AM turned into perfect ego crud PM.

Going to grab soft leftovers at JH today, then homeward bound.
It's a truly fantastic mountain. I just love it there. Glad you all had fun!

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
Good week for the 'Ghee. Sixteen inches of honest blower Tuesday and more, a little wetter all weekend. Total around 36" or so for the week- snowed all day today, too. Vis got a little on the light side for the top half of the mountain, but that goes with the territory. The down side? Today was the BUSIEST I have ever witnessed. All the lots were full and the parking crew was radioing each other when a spot would open in one of the lots. Went back to the vehicle to swap out skis around 11:30 ( snow got tracked out pretty quick and wanted my soft snow bump skis) and the crew had cars stopped up on the road! There were a large number of young racers from Idaho and Utah, so that contributed to the crowd also. Due to the amount of snow from the previous two days and the steady amount we were still getting, the races were canceled for Sunday. The kids were turned loose to ski, so that contributed to the tracked out hill. The mountain started to empty out around noon or shortly after, and after the award ceremony for the abbreviated races was held the place got a little quieter. The snow was coming down pretty good and starting to fill in tracks.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Skied the Grand Foghee 2/2 and 2/3 with @Gary Stolt and @SKI-3PO and Gary's friend Greg.

I've skied Steven King's Fog several times before, but these two days may have been the worst viz. Snow was great though.

Some random mentions:
  • Ran across Sal/HarkinBanks on Epic on Saturday - had a brief chat and he gave us some terrain advice. Thanks!
  • Could see one chair ahead both days. Barely.
  • The blind traverse to the Good, Bad, Ugly was the money run the first day. Lots of deep snow. Getting there sucked.
  • I skied solo the last run of the day on Friday and got totally lost on the traverse - Around the Headwall Traverse to Rock Garden Traverse area. No one else on the mountain. No trees in sight. Did a step or two in each direction to figure out which way was down - to no success. Did that for ~5 min. Was bailed out by a couple of sliders who came by and found my bearings by following where they went. Very, very scary. Won't ski solo in that crap again.
  • I learned a few more tricks on Vertigo Management.
  • For most of Saturday, stitched together tree stand to tree stand, roughly around Patrol/Instructors Chutes per Sal. Once you were able to get to them. Great snow and the skiing was generally good in small increments.
  • In the middle of the fog, skied off an isolated 5 foot drop in the middle of smooth terrain. Scary, but somehow stuck the landing. Avoided that spot the rest of the day.
  • It was amazing how we trusted our skis and gravity without being able to get any visual clues. Smooth terrain and good snow helped.
  • I've skied Foghee ~4 times before. People were asking us for advice on how to ski the fog. They wanted to follow us down. Crazy.
  • One local we rode up with fell over sideways on Teton Vista Traverse. Just past the lift. After we asked him for advice.

Tried to take a pix to capture how bad the viz was. Trust me, the mountain is taller than 100 vertical feet. Was too disoriented to take a pic in the middle of the true fog. You went from perfect viz to no viz in a matter of feet.
IMG_1427.jpg

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The pine boughs laid down at the top in the worse visibility areas were key to any success in getting going in a reasonable direction. Repeating the same runs in succession also helped avoid hazards like unexpected 5 foot drops and invisible traverses.

The snow was great. The parking lot was fuller than I had ever seen in 5ish previous visits. Is the low snowpack to the south bringing those skiers north? Either way, other than 1 decent lift line Dreamcatcher at about 10:30, that lift was essentially ski on. We assumed the lack of visibility was keeping people off the snow.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The pine boughs laid down at the top in the worse visibility areas were key to any success in getting going in a reasonable direction. Repeating the same runs in succession also helped avoid hazards like unexpected 5 foot drops and invisible traverses.

The snow was great. The parking lot was fuller than I had ever seen in 5ish previous visits. Is the low snowpack to the south bringing those skiers north? Either way, other than 1 decent lift line Dreamcatcher at about 10:30, that lift was essentially ski on. We assumed the lack of visibility was keeping people off the snow.
Yes, I am making trip #4 this weekend due to the lack of snow here.
Glad you guys had fun. The low vis there is definitely not fun. I've lucked out and only had maybe 3 days out of 15 total that were just awful.
Forecast is for bluebird on Sunday. :D