• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, the pattern in the west has taken a nice turn for the better.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Blackfoot is great. Did u go find the “tree”? If u did, great job! If u didn’t, go back and lap Blackfoot till you find it....it’s worth it.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ahh, now you have another adventure.

I will only say that if you explore skiers right off of Blsckfoot you might find a very interesting tree. If u need a guide, go inside to rentals and see if Jordan will take you. Tell him the Lake Wallenpaupack boys say hi!

Other must do's:

-If it's open, you have to hike Mary's Nipple.....easy boot pack hike.....nice saddle/bowl

-If it's open, take the "fun" way to the Sac lift......kids love the natural "tunnel". Drop in anywhere below the lowest cat track on the way back to Dreamcatcher...and you'll run into it....it's a fun shortcut to get over to the Sac.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ahh, now you have another adventure.

I will only say that if you explore skiers right off of Blsckfoot you might find a very interesting tree. If u need a guide, go inside to rentals and see if Jordan will take you. Tell him the Lake Wallenpaupack boys say hi!

Other must do's:

-If it's open, you have to hike Mary's Nipple.....easy boot pack hike.....nice saddle/bowl

-If it's open, take the "fun" way to the Sac lift......kids love the natural "tunnel". Drop in anywhere below the lowest cat track on the way back to Dreamcatcher...and you'll run into it....it's a fun shortcut to get over to the Sac.
Oh yea, we looked at the short tree drops into Sac. Nice terrain. Just found the Sac terrain (today) not as nice as Blackfoot and a few over by Mary’s gate. They shut Mary’s down around 12:30

Last edited:

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
GT is a great uncrowded alternative to JH........so much to explore at both places, but GT is a great place to explore with kids.

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
The Tree-? Go north after getting off the Blackfoot lift on the traverse into Powder Cache -keep going about a hundred and fifty yards or so and drop in- about 1/2-2/3 of the way down you will find the tree- Jeff, sorry I missed you guys if you have left the area already- just got back last night- in N.D. for Christmas with family. That midwestern Mecca of skiing-Huff Hills- just opened- skiing with G-kids- hard to convince them that they are called snow skis-not leaf and snow skis.

Reactions: BC.

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
The 'Ghee was skiing great today- a magical three inches or so of fast, smooth, grainy appeared on the hill, thought the web page said zilch! The groomers were skiing great! Don't make a rule of spending much time on them, but made several runs this morning before they were tracked out- and they were still skiing well late in the afternoon. The bumps in the trees below the G,B&U were good until the troughs were scrapped bare (again). The bumps are taking a weird asymmetrical shape and with the iced bottoms it is getting harder to get any rhythm established. Went over to Sacajawea for a while and made several runs- found some short runs of creamy powder. No crunch under foot either. Best this side has skied for several weeks, IMHO. An upslope wind kept moving snow and keeping things fresh, Shiny areas on the headwall were deceptive, most did not seem to be icey as they appeared. The whole mountain seemed to ski well today. Hopefully the snow forcast previously for this weekend will make an appearance.

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
All but the Shoshone lift are on wind hold- Sacajawea was open for a while but is now closed too- just turned around and went home

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
Targhee had lots of people today. Dreamcatcher had a significnt line but moved well- the singles lines moved quickly. Once away from DC the crowds seemed to dissappear! Never got over to Sac today and only made one run down the face- a couple down the headwall and into the trees below- thought that there would be some blown in powder from the winds yesterday but suspect that it ended up at the base of Ashton hill and scattered through Island Park- not that there was any large amount of new snow to blow around as the dismal amount of fresh snow recieved did not come any where near the quantity forecast. There was a little deposited on the South side of rthe wall above the GB&U. A little deceptive. Looked the same as the wind packed spots. The wind scoured snow is skiing great! It is cold. Enough to keep the snow in great shape, firm but very edge- able. There are some nice bumps building up up below the entrance into Powder Cache, and some good ones all the way to the cat track out at the bottom- can get a good rhythm going and really no scrapped off spots.

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
A few less folks on the hill today. The snow was a little harder. Not really that cold up there - low teens to twenties- but holey buckets!- half the hill seems like they were getting ready to rob a bank. ( kinda tells you they ain't from these parts)The only stuff I skied was the head wall and a couple runs thru the bumps below, spent the rest of the day lapping Blackfoot chair and the bumps below the entrance into powder cache- not too many people over there and the bumps are building nice.

Bigtinnie

Formerly 'sbooker' in another world.
Skier
I was there. Lovely scenery! Lovely mountain. I thought it was quiet after JHMR yesterday. Never waited more than a minute in a line. The Sacajawea side was like a private hill.
My wife has declared it near her favourite mountain so far after Alta.
Tetons are magnificent - I don’t have to go to the Dolomites now.
AE632DB6-8AF5-4493-BAF5-FC94C90ADCAF.jpeg

Last edited:

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
went up yesterday, snow in powder cache pretty firm- bumps were firm too- front side off the groomed stuff was choppy and firm. The sacajeawa side is getting some nice bumps built and was skiing nicely, tho was showing the lack of snow in spots. southern exposures quite a bit. hope some snow comes this weekend!

agreen

Getting on the lift
Skier
Things look pretty good up there over the next few days. I may do a little chase this weekend. Would anyone be around to make some turns Sat and Sun?