• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hello, dbostedo. Ah, lagniappe - it's a Louisiana/east Texas thing. I often forget that it is a regionalism, like kolaches in Texas...

I'll take you up on your offer! I usually take a warm-up on Honeysuckle, but I'm comfortable on all the blues and a few blacks these days. Afterwards, we'll find out from other pugskiers what this beer thing is all about. I've heard it makes a decent chaser for a good whisky. ;)

"Blues and some blacks" sounds like it describes my skiing... should be a good time.

Eddie S

Putting on skis
Skier
Have scarcely been able to think of anything else this evening other than meeting forum people at Taos in February, and going through a ski week. A bit off-topic, but for the first time in months I was reminded of an interesting experience during my first visit to Taos, mid-December, 2015. I arrived at TSV with a grand total of 1.5 days skiing, from the previous March at Wolf Creek. I was at lift 1 ridiculously early, on a slow day, and already a bit rattled looking up the lift line. Just my luck that a man with a ski patrol jacket gets on the chair with me. Now I'm more nervous, just hoping I can make a clean chair exit with him watching. We had a wonderful conversation on the long ride up. Something in the conversation caused me to mention that I enjoy reading about the history of polar exploration, and of my dream to visit Antarctica. He said he had been there. He was a modest, soft-spoken man, and said nothing more about places he'd been or things he'd done; in fact, he scarcely talked about himself at all. But just talking with him put me at ease and helped me go forth that morning with a bit more confidence. Just before getting in the chair on my next run, a lift operator asked if I'd enjoyed meeting Dave Hahn. Of course, I had no idea who he was talking about. It was only later that I read about him online and learned of his remarkable accomplishments. What a missed opportunity!

Eddie S

Putting on skis
Skier
One more note and I'll shut up. If this Taos gathering comes off, I'll be happy to provide rides for anybody who needs one. I stay in town - the mountain is beautiful but too quiet, and I've loved Taos since I was a very young man - and can easily take four other people in the truck. And don't worry: the truck is 4x4 with real snow tires, and I'm one of those odd Texans who actually knows how to drive on snowy mountain roads (yes, a few of us actually exist).

Eddie S

Putting on skis
Skier
I lied - have another note. An adult Taos Card is only $50 right now, at pre-season prices. I haven't bought one before, but for anyone planning to ski Taos for a few days, it looks like the card would pay for itself in two days or so, with net savings for every day after that. The TSV Web site says the card saves $20 off lift ticket prices for weekend days and $30 each weekday. Also, you can skip the ticket window and go directly to the lift line. Seems like a good deal for those of us taking part in a ski week, or for anyone skiing more than a couple of days at Taos.

Is this right, or am I missing something?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Nope. Lots of skiers that do the ski week get a Taos card. The seventh day is free. So more gravy.

Lots of skiers also show up with a MCP. 2 free days and rest half price. Great if you use the pass else where also.

Another great deal is get the the Value pass early (April) for $599 if you plan to do more than a week. The only black out period for this season is the Xmas week period.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I lied - have another note. An adult Taos Card is only $50 right now, at pre-season prices. I haven't bought one before, but for anyone planning to ski Taos for a few days, it looks like the card would pay for itself in two days or so, with net savings for every day after that. The TSV Web site says the card saves $20 off lift ticket prices for weekend days and $30 each weekday. Also, you can skip the ticket window and go directly to the lift line. Seems like a good deal for those of us taking part in a ski week, or for anyone skiing more than a couple of days at Taos.

I'm confused. So you pay $75 and you don't even get a lift ticket, just $20 off your first lift ticket? So you have to ski at least 4 times to break even, even at the early prices?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm confused. So you pay $75 and you don't even get a lift ticket, just $20 off your first lift ticket? So you have to ski at least 4 times to break even, even at the early prices?

Yep. I'm used to that here locally. The last few seasons I've bought an $85 discount card for Snowtime resorts (Whitetail, Liberty, and Roundtop in southern PA). That gets me 40% off lift tickets anytime, and a discount on group lessons, and every 6th day is free. I got 6 days there last year, so I probably saved ~$120 over not having the card. The season before I think I had 8 days at those resorts.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Yep. I'm used to that here locally. The last few seasons I've bought an $85 discount card for Snowtime resorts (Whitetail, Liberty, and Roundtop in southern PA). That gets me 40% off lift tickets anytime, and a discount on group lessons, and every 6th day is free. I got 6 days there last year, so I probably saved ~$120 over not having the card. The season before I think I had 8 days at those resorts.

Interesting. I like the Loveland card model, where the cost of the card is recouped the first time you use it :)

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
And if you're going to point out that you also have to use a season pass X number of days to break even, I can't really tell you why this feels different. Some sort of fallacy.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I used an Alta Gold Card for my trip in March, think i got it at the $160 price. Gave me half price on every ticket, so pretty much ahead after five days (I was there for most of the month, tho didn't ski as much as planned).

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The Taos card is geared for the skiers taking the ski week. I believe there is a discount on the ski week price with it. 10% off retail & tuning at company own places..

I thought I saw it going by in April/May when it was $50.

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
The Taos Card is sort of a pay as you go season pass. It’s a direct to lift pass that you wear just like a season pass complete with your picture. It’s tied to a credit card and you get charged when it’s activated on each given day but takes a certain amount off the daily lift ticket price and every 7th day is free, or used to be. If you don’t hit the days to break even on a regular season pass it’s the next best option if your not taking advantage of any other combo deals.

Plus I think you get discounts etc on different things at TSV, it’s a pretty good deal.

Last edited:

Eddie S

Putting on skis
Skier
Hello, Monique. If I understand the terms of the card (and I may not - I haven't bought one before) you receive $20 off a lift ticket each weekend day or holiday, and $30 off each weekday. A seventh day brings a free lift ticket; certain retail discounts apply, also. If that is correct, then the card will pay for itself over a few days, depending on the days skied. I assume it is cumulative over the whole season, so that days accrue and do not have to be consecutive. I hope others will correct me if I've misunderstood the terms.

At the moment, the card is available at a pre-season price of $50 via the TSV Web site, but will go to $75 at some point and increase again after 11/30. Clearly a pretty good deal for ski week folks and others who will ski more than a few days there.

Eddie S

Putting on skis
Skier
This. It is a total hoot. Attracts amazing dancers and is worth it just to watch. The bar itself looks like Kit Carson could walk in any minute. A locals scene worthy of being a tourist attraction.

On the opposite end of the spectrum is the fantasy-style bar at El Monte Sagrado hotel.

All the advice on where to ski is spot on.

Meatball Chute. West Blitz Trees off the traverse and Castor & Pollux. Also if you go past N. American to the next run over, it tends to be less skied and avoids the gully at the bottom.

Longhorn if you want your legs to fall off at the bottom :eek:

(BTW, if you want a great book to read on the plane that will get you in touch with the area, pick up Blood and Thunder by Hampton Sides... or watch the Milagro Beanfield Wars on Netflix.)
Hello, Jerez. I want to thank you for recommending "Blood and Thunder." I bought it after reading your note, and finished it just this evening. It was a fascinating, informative and well-written book. I had read "In the Kingdom of Ice" a few years ago, so I knew Sides was a fine historian; this book further confirmed that. Despite spending a lot of time in Taos, I learned much that I had not known before, and will view the area with renewed interest on future visits. And Side's bibliography should lead to a further reading journey.

The last chapter, describing the huge human circle formed by the Navajo during the final days of their disastrous experience at Bosque Redondo, and the ceremony with the coyote, was hauntingly beautiful; I'll never forget it. That tale by itself would have made the book worthwhile.

Thank you!

Eddie S

Putting on skis
Skier
The Taos card is geared for the skiers taking the ski week. I believe there is a discount on the ski week price with it. 10% off retail & tuning at company own places..

I thought I saw it going by in April/May when it was $50.
I bought a Taos Card this evening for $50 - the pre-season sale price. I'm still not certain if the $20 (weekend) and $30 (weekday) lift ticket discounts apply each day or one per week, or if the card brings a discount on ski week prices, but I sent a message to the TSV ski school asking for clarification. Either way, it seems like a good deal for me, since I hope to visit Taos at least twice this season, including the 2/4 ski week. I really hope to meet pugskiers there!

Sponsor

Staff online