• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I'm gonna see how much I can clear my calendar for the 3rd to the 10th and head up there to ski with y'all. I got a lot better last season and I've been cycling hard all summer. Hopefully I can keep up better with @KingGrump et al this year.

I'm late to the party - what month is under discussion?

I just got a job that I *think* might give me some flexibility in terms of ski bummery. Not as much as I'd like, but then again, they do pay me.

I would like to find out just how outclassed I am at Taos. Been hearing about it for years!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm late to the party - what month is under discussion?

I just got a job that I *think* might give me some flexibility in terms of ski bummery. Not as much as I'd like, but then again, they do pay me.

I would like to find out just how outclassed I am at Taos. Been hearing about it for years!

February 3rd - 10th... we've got a gathering forming it seems (that's a mini-gathering). I'm doing a Ski-Week, as is Pumba ... others might just be there.

C'mon down!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
How come a bunch of threads always devolve into @KingGrump finding a way to ski people to death? :philgoat::D

I don't ski people to death. They are fully capable of doing that all by themselves.
I'm usually along to provide a bit of supervision. And damn, is it ever entertaining. :roflmao:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
February 3rd - 10th... we've got a gathering forming it seems (that's a mini-gathering). I'm doing a Ski-Week, as is Pumba ... others might just be there.

C'mon down!

I wonder if you could just do one or two days. Probably too silly. I'm pretty sure a whole week ain't gonna fly when I'm already taking a bunch of Fridays off in Breck.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@KingGrump / Grumpmaster Flash - what's the full range of dates? I only ask because it's most convenient for me to leave Breck during the holiday weekends.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@KingGrump / Grumpmaster Flash - what's the full range of dates? I only ask because it's most convenient for me to leave Breck during the holiday weekends.

Right now, this is how Feb is shaping up. @Blue Streak will be there 2/3 to 2/5. @Pumba , @Sandy_NYC & @dbostedo will be there for the ski week of 2/4 to 2/9. Couple of former Epic skiers will be there for the ski week starting 2/11. @Brock Tice is a local and he's trying to free up his schedule for the week starting 2/4.

In terms of holidays. President week will be one of their busiest week. More New Yorkers rather than Texan. That's is a good thing. Believe it or not.

Feb is a good month for snow conditions at Taos.

I'll be there from Jan 2 to the end of Feb. Will be moving over to Snowbird at the beginning of March.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
How come a bunch of threads always devolve into @KingGrump finding a way to ski people to death? :philgoat::D

You all know me as a sensitive soul. This really hurt me. Hurt me real bad.

Kept me up all last night thinking about it. I finally figured it out.
It ain't me, it's them. I just happen to drive around in a Rambler.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
You all know me as a sensitive soul. This really hurt me. Hurt me real bad.

Kept me up all last night thinking about it. I finally figured it out.
It ain't me, it's them. I just happen to drive around in a Rambler.

Love that song!

I also love the one that goes, "My pappy said you're gonna drive me to drinkin' / if you don't stop driving that hot rod lincoln!"

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I am heading home Feb. 3 will try to leave some powder and bumps on the hill for you guys.

Oh, trust me, there will be bumps left on the hill whether we like it or not.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
The opening of the new Kachina chair now provides a benchmark for when coverage is good on the abundant steep terrain at Taos. Opening dates:
Feb. 13, 2015 a subpar year
Jan. 13, 2016 after an outstanding December
Late January (don't have exact date), 2017 after a slow start but good January
I think long term late January will be the average opening date. February through early April closing is the right timing for Taos.

The terrain and dining options have been far better covered by the locals and quasi-locals than I could do. I second the favorable reviews of the St. Bernard, where I stayed with family last week of the season in a banner 1993 (130 inch base). That last week was discounted and did not require a full week stay.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The opening of the new Kachina chair now provides a benchmark for when coverage is good on the abundant steep terrain at Taos. Opening dates:
Feb. 13, 2015 a subpar year
Jan. 13, 2016 after an outstanding December
Late January (don't have exact date), 2017 after a slow start but good January
I think long term late January will be the average opening date. February through early April closing is the right timing for Taos.

The terrain and dining options have been far better covered by the locals and quasi-locals than I could do. I second the favorable reviews of the St. Bernard, where I stayed with family last week of the season in a banner 1993 (130 inch base). That last week was discounted and did not require a full week stay.

I know this one! I was there: Jan 18, 2017.

Eddie S

Putting on skis
Skier
Can I play? At least on the JV team? A goal this year is to participate in a Taos ski week. Meeting Pugskiers would be lagniappe. Week of Feb. 4 it is...

BTW, though I can't keep up with most - or any - of you, I do buy beer for useful improvement tips.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Can I play? At least on the JV team? A goal this year is to participate in a Taos ski week. Meeting Pugskiers would be lagniappe. Week of Feb. 4 it is...

BTW, though I can't keep up with most - or any - of you, I do buy beer for useful improvement tips.

Ah... the taos gathering has grown a bit. :)

I'm always happy to spend some time taking it easy and skiing some greens and blues - hopefully we'll make some turns and try one or two of those beer things you keep talking about. ;) (And BTW, I had to look up "lagniappe".)

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

C'mon by. The more the merrier.
Don't worry about keeping up. Most of us know how to down shift a gear or two. You'll be fine and it's gonna to be fun.
Last I checked, I saw a first gear on my Rambler. And I am pretty good at coasting in neutral. Gets great MPG. :D
Maybe I'll show up at the UT gathering with a full tank. :cool:

This reminded me of the Subaru I had in the '80. It had three speed. Slow, Very Slow and Reverse.

Eddie S

Putting on skis
Skier
Ah... the taos gathering has grown a bit. :)

I'm always happy to spend some time taking it easy and skiing some greens and blues - hopefully we'll make some turns and try one or two of those beer things you keep talking about. ;) (And BTW, I had to look up "lagniappe".)
Hello, dbostedo. Ah, lagniappe - it's a Louisiana/east Texas thing. I often forget that it is a regionalism, like kolaches in Texas...

I'll take you up on your offer! I usually take a warm-up on Honeysuckle, but I'm comfortable on all the blues and a few blacks these days. Afterwards, we'll find out from other pugskiers what this beer thing is all about. I've heard it makes a decent chaser for a good whisky. ;)

Eddie S

Putting on skis
Skier
C'mon by. The more the merrier.
Don't worry about keeping up. Most of us know how to down shift a gear or two. You'll be fine and it's gonna to be fun.
Last I checked, I saw a first gear on my Rambler. And I am pretty good at coasting in neutral. Gets great MPG. :D
Maybe I'll show up at the UT gathering with a full tank. :cool:

This reminded me of the Subaru I had in the '80. It had three speed. Slow, Very Slow and Reverse.
Well, I'm not leaving Taos without taking a death-defying run with KingGrump - not after all the tales I've read here. ;)

Your Subaru (the story had me chuckling) reminds me of the beat-up Mazda RX3 I had in the late 70s, only it had a 4th gear: Dead Stop (Unplanned).

Sponsor