• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico Taos - The "Mini" Gathering 2019

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Nothing wrong with being fresh meat. Just don't be dead meat.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As others have echoed, great report as usual. I felt like i was there, and wish i was. Will there be a Pugski mini there again next year.
And wow your form looks great-making great strides,

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
This year was my 3rd time to Taos and 2nd Ski Week, Last Year Jean Mayer was directing skiers to each group. Seems to me he did a better job, I agree this year it seemed very hectic and confusing w/the guys on walkie talkies and some of the First timers definitely did not know what to expect or to do.

We had a 'sort of private' group of 4 and knew who our instructor would be so we skied to him. I went for Fun and to get tips to share w/my students and if I could use a pointer please share. We had Derek G. Very Easy going and great skier at 70+!! Our group started w/7. 6 ladies 1 guy. The guy thought he was a great skier (not) he was annoyed that the first day (Sun) was easy going, instructor riding lift with each of us to get idea what we all wanted and basically checking out our skiing. We wanted Groomers but mostly bumps, trees, but no climbing on our agenda. thankfully we lost the guy, he was dangerous cutting people off, skiing out of control, skiing off to the sides not staying with the group, we think he got PO'd when Derek showed him 'how he skied bumps" arms flailing, legs all over the place. He left our group to go Climb and ski shoots. I Doubt he ever made it to the ridge (w/an instructor) his skiing was not great. on the powder day we watched him digging for a ski on the entry to Walkarie trees. One lady in our group was clearly very scared in trees/bumps and not keeping up, she got a private w/Derek the 2nd or 3rd afternoon but ended up dropping down a level. So then there were 5. Wed. the 5th lady (Then We were 4) went to Sante Fe w/her ski club- Wednesday was the Powder Day. 2 of us bailed on class with Derek's blessings (thanks Derek) just to do powder runs over and over- it was glorious. We picked up another guy late morning but again, he got lost trying to keep up with the ladies. Yes we ski like girls, lol Thursday we were back to 5 but the 5th lady had altitude issue. 2 of us volunteered to get her to the bottom, good thing her pulse had dropped below 40!! They took her down off the Mt and she was OK on Friday but not skiing. Altitude is not a joke!! So then we were 4 our private group. We had a good time. In the end the 2 in our group that wanted bumps trees were happy with their progress. 2 of us apparently didn't need tune ups since we didn't get any comments on our skiing, although Derek offered me a Taos Yellow Jacket, woo hoo. I enjoyed the front of the line privilege and the private tour of the Mt. I did get plenty of ideas/tips that I'm now sharing w/my students.

For $300- IMO- Ski week is a great deal for anyone looking to improve their skiing or like me want a private guided tour everyday! It is always nice to follow a local down any trail. I do like the progression of the week as it builds to steeper trails (if you want that) They are very concerned with you 'liking what's going on" and concerned with having the group mesh w/skills and goals. Just speak up and your wishes will be accommodated. The instructors at Taos are Top Notch with lots of different ways to explain concepts. Having the same instructor all week I think is very effective, and if you don't like your instructor or where your class is skiing, you can move up or down in levels. Next time we'd probably try to be a group of 5 and book our own private class then no ski off, meet at 9 instead of 945 and not worry about others that aren't matched in skiing and goals. Taos is a wonderful Mt. Can't wait to go back!

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Last Year Jean Mayer was directing skiers to each group. Seems to me he did a better job, I agree this year it seemed very hectic and confusing w/the guys on walkie talkies and some of the First timers definitely did not know what to expect or to do.

Did anyone report this to the Ski School ... not to an individual instructor, but to the School? I've read/heard this 3 times, I think, about the ski-off process this season. Sounds like something that needs to be fixed.

Hogwarts without the Sorting Hat :eek: :nono:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Did anyone report this to the Ski School ... not to an individual instructor, but to the School? I've read/heard this 3 times, I think, about the ski-off process this season. Sounds like something that needs to be fixed.

Hogwarts without the Sorting Hat :eek: :nono:

The not so new ski school director is a major part of the problem.
The instructors are very much aware of the cluster.

Marty McSly

Getting off the lift
Skier
Taos is on my bucket list Dave. I hope to catch you guys there one year.

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
^^^
I think the week we were there, they had trouble getting things sorted as well as they normally do, because they weren't prepared for a larger-than-expected number of ski-week participants. It's just hearsay/gossip, but we did hear that they pulled instructors off of private lessons to do ski weeks, and called up folks who weren't expected to teach that week to fill in.

So perhaps that lead to not getting the groups sorted as well as they would have liked... I know there were a couple of instructor swaps between groups due to injury too, which may have further complicated things. (I know - I sound like a real Taos apologist... but I had a great week, personally.)

Next year, if this comes together again, we should definitely look into the private ski weeks.
Oh I had a great ski week too! This is the third year in a row I came to Taos and did ski week. I was in the group with @ADKmel who is indeed an amazing skier and is great to ski with! @mdf yes, you can ask to form your onw group. I did this two years in a row, including this year - the group we formed was with @ADKmel and two other women from Skidiva forum. But there is still a possibility of ski school adding more people to the group and then still have mismatched abilities, pace and/or terrain aspirations, so I still think private ski week is an interesting option. I am not sure I would do it per se, but I would consider it. I will be definitely back to Taos next year and will be taking another ski week.

My very first time in Taos three years ago the first time I skied Valkyries glad I was terrified, not due to lack of ability but due to lack of mileage in such terrain. This year I skied Valkyries every day and had a great time. I am still somewhat tentative in steep big bumps, especially if they are firm, but I am no longer terrified. This year I finally skied Al's, not all of it about 1/3 from the lower entrance to lower Inferno, then did Ernie's Boboo. I also skied lower and upper Blitz, Rhoda's, Hunziker bowl and Staub glade. Hunziker is still one of my favorite runs on the mountain, Valkyries may now be second. I still have not skied a Taos double black, was hoping to ski Kachina this year, but it was closed. I am hoping to ski a Taos double black next year and maybe top to bottom Al's if the snow is good when I am there.

@Pumba I miss Taos too! Especially after I go emails from them that they these amazing powder days with 18 inches of fresh a few days ago.

Sponsor