• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Taos ski week moves to private only, for 20/21

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
HOW DO IKON AND MOUNTAIN COLLECTIVE PASSHOLDERS SKI AT TAOS?
IKON passholders will need to make a reservation via the IKON reservation system, then can go direct to the lift at Taos Ski Valley.
FYI, more research reveals that it's another month before you can ever start reserving spots anyway.

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was just going to update about Ikon requiring a reservation before skiing at Taos. I just spoke to someone at Taos - they have been bombarded with callers today.
If our covid situation does not improve and our governor does not lift the 14-day quarantine requirement, I was told TSV will enforce the quarantine for any out of state visitors. The guy said they had turned away quite a few visitors for the summer season and they will require proofs that either you have quarantined in NM for 2 weeks prior to getting to Taos, or you have to quarantine in Taos for 2 weeks before going up the mountain. And all the lodging in the ski valley will have some restrictions on that.

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
I just purchased my Taos Unlimited pass. It is $600 more than last year but it comes with the Ikon Base Pass. I wish I could travel to use the pass. I’d love to spend a month or two at Mammoth...The senior and kids pass is $1300 this year, up from $400! Alot of people are very upset about it.
I spoke to someone at the ski school and private ski week is $1350+tax, same as last year.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Private ski week is one price (I think it was $1350 last year) for up to X people - if you can find a few people with the same interests, you can split a private week for just about the same cost as a non-private ski week. Only thing you will be missing is the ski off.
You can also split the week however you want. I did a private week last season with my husband, and 2 other private weeks with a friend where he took 3 days and I took 3. We did not ski together since we were working on different things.
As for the quarantine - my golf club has been getting plenty of out of state visitors these past few months. 100% sure these people did not quarantine for 14-days before heading out to golf, nor is anyone enforcing it‍...Not sure how TSV will be able to monitor/enforce it either.

This. Pick a mtn that you want to visit. Arrange through ski school.

In reality.... a week of drilling, even for a half day, is demanding. Maybe do two days at the beginning of the week. Even, and especially, if it is your first day(s) on snow. Take those few nuggets, those few things that you need to work on, and spend a day or two by yourself working on those new movement patterns. Book another half day towards the end of your stay as a check-in, and to get your new TDL.

I have several groups who are booking me, for several days to a week this winter, to replicate that experience. Easy Peazy.

Last edited:

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Yes, the OP is simply incorrect and misleading, First of all, the ski week is still up on their webpage

I contacted the ski school and they immediately responded, gracefully, and politely, explaining that they will indeed not offer the ski week initially due to logistics around covid, but the ski week will be back. Of course they are not sure when. Super professional, cordial, and responsive. Case closed.

Also, while we are at it, I stumbled across the FAQs: the state of NM is imposing a 2 week quarantine for visitors, this would be good to know for those of you traveling from out of state.

I really need to get to Taos.
:beercheer:
I was just going to update about Ikon requiring a reservation before skiing at Taos. I just spoke to someone at Taos - they have been bombarded with callers today.
If our covid situation does not improve and our governor does not lift the 14-day quarantine requirement, I was told TSV will enforce the quarantine for any out of state visitors. The guy said they had turned away quite a few visitors for the summer season and they will require proofs that either you have quarantined in NM for 2 weeks prior to getting to Taos, or you have to quarantine in Taos for 2 weeks before going up the mountain. And all the lodging in the ski valley will have some restrictions on that.

Well the hits just keep on coming. All I wanted for my 50th bday was a Ski Week at Taos. Feb '21. Ain't happening now. Maybe 51st? Trying to hammer out a plan to road trip to CO, will focus exclusively on that now. Still feels like a long shot.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Well the hits just keep on coming. All I wanted for my 50th bday was a Ski Week at Taos. Feb '21. Ain't happening now. Maybe 51st? Trying to hammer out a plan to road trip to CO, will focus exclusively on that now. Still feels like a long shot.

Just a note: Strong La Nina predicted this winter. Taos could be rocks & roots. I'd go north for more of a sure thing. If I thought that Taos would be solid this winter I'd be teaching down there. Of course a few rogue storms originating out of the South could change everything.

I'm in SW CO and can ski whenever. If I didn't live here and wanted the quintessential western ski vacation with lots of snow, I'd be looking at ID / WY / MT. Maybe a week at Jackson and Targhee. Steamboat could be good as well.

If you go to Jackson, look up Tim Petrick. He will be one of your best Sources of the Truth as far as skiing and instruction. Definitely worth booking with him.

Enjoy.

Last edited:

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider

I was wondering the same with the quarantine. Lodges on the San Juan are not taking guests on the public waters, but floating private waters because of this.

Just because I was bored I pinged The Blake. They just sent me a link to NM guidelines. No interpretation as to how they may or may not, enforce.

Lots of ski clubs out of TX hit Taos / Red River / Angel Fire. It will be an interesting year.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Just a note: Strong La Nina predicted this winter. Taos could be rocks & roots. I'd go north for more of a sure thing. If I thought that Taos would be solid this winter I'd be teaching down there. Of course a few rogue storms originating out of the South could change everything.

I'm in SW CO and can ski whenever. If I didn't live here and wanted the quintessential western ski vacation with lots of snow, I'd be looking at ID / WY / MT. Maybe a week at Jackson and Targhee. Steamboat could be good as well.

If you go to Jackson, look up Tim Petrick. He will be one of your best Sources of the Truth as far as skiing and instruction. Definitely worth booking with him.

Enjoy.
marty thanks for this. Didn't even think about La Nina with all the other already insane/uprecedented 2020 factors. Because of our desire to drive out from NC (plan A, rethinking it) W CO was our thought. Maybe Monarch, Crested Butte to Steamboat over ~2 weeks. Jackson/Targhee looks to be 4-5 hours more if we drove straight there (bypass CO entirely), still in the "2 day" ballpark if you stop to crash. We will, not sure I'm up for a straight-through drive anymore. Flying still could be an option, tbd. And of course all of that subject to change at literally any minute. On the flip side I just can't imagine taking the whole season off! Inconceivable! Might lose what's left of my sanity :eek::ogcool::ogbiggrin:

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
marty thanks for this. Didn't even think about La Nina with all the other already insane/uprecedented 2020 factors. Because of our desire to drive out from NC (plan A, rethinking it) W CO was our thought. Maybe Monarch, Crested Butte to Steamboat over ~2 weeks. Jackson/Targhee looks to be 4-5 hours more if we drove straight there (bypass CO entirely), still in the "2 day" ballpark if you stop to crash. We will, not sure I'm up for a straight-through drive anymore. Flying still could be an option, tbd. And of course all of that subject to change at literally any minute. On the flip side I just can't imagine taking the whole season off! Inconceivable! Might lose what's left of my sanity :eek::ogcool::ogbiggrin:

I hear ya.

Just to give you a sense of what is going on... Durango's tax revenue is up double digits, YTD, over last year. Lots of tourists. I drove to Boulder a couple of weeks ago and was stunned by traffic, crowds in Leadville and Beuna Vista. It looked like a Holiday weekend, but was a weekday in Sept. Lots of Texans. Hopefully winter will temper their traveling. Every mtn town is experiencing the same. Contacts / bookings for winter seem to be robust, for now.

Hitting those areas that are off of radar seems like a good strategy. Add Cooper as well. Another fav of mine is Copper. It never seems to be really busy. Nice lodging in the base area so you don't have to drive more. Great layout of the mtn. Great takeout food in Dillon. Load up on Thai take-out so you can eat in your condo after skiing.

Hit me up if you come to SW CO. Purg is a very inexpensive mtn to vaca at, but is a long way from anywhere.

Safe travels.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
I hear ya.

Just to give you a sense of what is going on... Durango's tax revenue is up double digits, YTD, over last year. Lots of tourists. I drove to Boulder a couple of weeks ago and was stunned by traffic, crowds in Leadville and Beuna Vista. It looked like a Holiday weekend, but was a weekday in Sept. Lots of Texans. Hopefully winter will temper their traveling. Every mtn town is experiencing the same. Contacts / bookings for winter seem to be robust, for now.

Hitting those areas that are off of radar seems like a good strategy. Add Cooper as well. Another fav of mine is Copper. It never seems to be really busy. Nice lodging in the base area so you don't have to drive more. Great layout of the mtn. Great takeout food in Dillon. Load up on Thai take-out so you can eat in your condo after skiing.

Hit me up if you come to SW CO. Purg is a very inexpensive mtn to vaca at, but is a long way from anywhere.

Safe travels.
I'd heard/seen rumblings about this over the summer, and yeah looked at Purg and Telluride too on our wish list but, def far between. IF we drive all of those are in play though. Just looked at Delta to Jackson - can do it midweek for $278 round trip! I got Land Cruiser man that's like 1/4 of the gas bill! Driving doesn't make sense in that context.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I'd heard/seen rumblings about this over the summer, and yeah looked at Purg and Telluride too on our wish list but, def far between. IF we drive all of those are in play though. Just looked at Delta to Jackson - can do it midweek for $278 round trip! I got Land Cruiser man that's like 1/4 of the gas bill! Driving doesn't make sense in that context.

Be sure to call the Jackson ski hill. The last pres / CEO was a visionary. He worked with the town and airlines. They often have great package deals that are booked through the ski hill's office - airfare, lodging lift tickets, and rental car at great rates.

Sponsor

Staff online