• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Taos ski week moves to private only, for 20/21

Codger

Booting up
Skier
Taos will only offer private ski lessons or private ski weeks. Does that seem to be the way all ski schools will operate?

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You know, it just seems like retrenchment all over. And I don't just mean ski hills. I mean every kind of business enterprise you can think of. No one wants to take financial risks. I would look for an explosion of new ventures once the epidemic passes, but it may take quite a while for people to get over the real terror that a lot feel overwhelmed with right now.

Awfully sad to hear about Taos. That was a great tradition and a great opportunity to socialize for a lot of dedicated skiers.

Last edited:

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think that was one of the truly great bargains in ski lessons. I mistakenly passed on the opportunity when I was there, always thinking that I would do it when I went again. I guess thats what happens when a place gets bought by a businessman :huh:

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
No more, ever, at all? Thank goodness I did it last year! But I didn’t want it to be a one and only . . .

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Somehow I don't think the financial aspect is why they're only offering private ski weeks. (Unless we have some information to suggest otherwise.)

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I suggest changing the thread title to something less alarmist... like:

Taos ski lessons and ski week will be private only for '20-21 season

edited to shrink text

TS
Codger

Codger

Booting up
Skier
It was Taos reply to my email inquiring of their winter plans. It was for client/staff safety

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Like Warren would say “If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do.”
But I think this falls more under "You snooze, you lose."

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I sent an email to Taos inquiring of their plans and that was the reply
I think we're wondering if they might have assumed you were asking specifically about this season.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I suggest changing the thread title to something less alarmist... like:

Taos ski lessons and ski week will be private only for '20-21 season

edited to shrink text

Yes, the OP is simply incorrect and misleading, First of all, the ski week is still up on their webpage

I contacted the ski school and they immediately responded, gracefully, and politely, explaining that they will indeed not offer the ski week initially due to logistics around covid, but the ski week will be back. Of course they are not sure when. Super professional, cordial, and responsive. Case closed.

Also, while we are at it, I stumbled across the FAQs: the state of NM is imposing a 2 week quarantine for visitors, this would be good to know for those of you traveling from out of state.

I really need to get to Taos.
:beercheer:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
For more details on the current state of the quarantine rules for going to New Mexico, you can look here:

The 14-day quarantine is dependent upon the infection rate where you're coming from. Of course, that may or may not be easy to find - I think the list on the right side means that all of those states are subject to the 14 day quarantine, but that's not noted explicitly.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For more details on the current state of the quarantine rules for going to New Mexico, you can look here:

The 14-day quarantine is dependent upon the infection rate where you're coming from. Of course, that may or may not be easy to find - I think the list on the right side means that all of those states are subject to the 14 day quarantine, but that's not noted explicitly.

There's a nice exemption on that page:

Negative test exemption: Persons who can show documentation of a valid negative COVID-19 test taken within the 72 hours before or after entry into New Mexico are exempt from the 14-day quarantine requirement, regardless of the state from which they have traveled. Persons who have undergone a COVID-19 test shall self-isolate or self-quarantine while awaiting the results of their test. This exemption does not apply to persons entering New Mexico after traveling outside of the United States.​
I sure wish Colorado would do the same. "Show me your papers" at DIA includes a COVID test from high risk states.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, the OP is simply incorrect and misleading, First of all, the ski week is still up on their webpage

I contacted the ski school and they immediately responded, gracefully, and politely, explaining that they will indeed not offer the ski week initially due to logistics around covid, but the ski week will be back. Of course they are not sure when. Super professional, cordial, and responsive. Case closed.

Also, while we are at it, I stumbled across the FAQs: the state of NM is imposing a 2 week quarantine for visitors, this would be good to know for those of you traveling from out of state.

I really need to get to Taos.
:beercheer:

Thanks for the clarification.

I have always find Taos a pleasant place. It's run more like a non profit rather than a business. I believe the guide line for the $300+ million upgrade is "Improve everything but change nothing." I would say they have been pretty good about that.

Anyway, I hope things stay good enough for us to sneak in and spend a good chunk of the season there.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No COVID plan yet for Taos:

We are currently working on our plan for the upcoming winter. Due to COVID-19 there are many unknowns when it comes to the next ski season. Our goal is to put together a comprehensive plan that will allow us to operate at a capacity that focuses on the health and safety of our staff, community, and guests. Please stay tuned for information regarding season passes, lift ticket prices, rentals, snowsports lessons, and more.

Sponsor

Staff online