• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico Taos Ski Week, 2/3/18 - 2/10/18

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Class_Video_Still ACR Conv.jpg
Still capture from my lesson group video. I'm on the far left.

A lot of folks around here have done - or at least heard of - a Taos Ski Week. I decided that I wanted to do one this season after hearing a lot of great things about it. For those who don't know, you spend the week at Taos, and have a 2 hour group lesson each morning for 6 straight days. It's a great way to improve, and push yourself, and is a great bargain to boot. This season the cost was $220 for the week (and they've been running a special for NM locals for 50% off).

This has been a terrible snow year for Taos, on pace to be the worst in several decades. But I planned the time off, had my trip booked, and for lessons at my level, groomers are fine. (That's probably actually true for any level - there's always something to get better at!) So last Saturday, I headed out to Taos.

The Resort/Village/Lodging

Getting to Taos is a little bit of an effort. It's about a 2 hour drive from Santa Fe, or a 3 hour drive from Albuquerque. I found the cheapest flights at a good time from the DC area to Albuquerque, so I did the 3 hour drive. With warmish weather and no snow, the drive was pretty easy, and I got in to Taos Ski Valley (as it's officially known) at about 5 o'clock.

Taos 021018 002 DC ACR Conv.jpg
The first snow seen on the drive up from Albuquerque

The village at Taos has been getting some upgrades the last few seasons (and will continue to I think), but it's still nothing like other, larger western resorts. It's still small and feels more local, and simpler - more like some eastern resorts I've been to - than something like Vail or Whistler. When I arrived, I checked into my room for the week at the Powderhorn, and took a walk around the village to get some dinner.

The Powderhorn is just up the hill from the main part of the village, and I thought was a great place to stay. It's a condo rental, and has a variety of different room types. I booked a simple bedroom - essentially a hotel room. It's easy walking distance to everything, so was very convenient too.

Taos 021018 004 DC ACR Conv.jpg
My room at The Powderhorn

The village is small, but has a handful of different restaurant choices. I walked around for a little while, took some pics, and wound up eating at Tim's Stray Dog Cantina - and had some excellent pork mole enchiladas. (Tim's was my favorite place and I actually had dinner there three nights.)

Taos 021018 007 DC ACR Conv.jpg
View of the village from outside the Powderhorn

Taos 021018 012 DC ACR Conv.jpg
The Blake - a major new hotel that is the centerpiece of the village

Taos 021018 015 DC ACR Conv Pano.JPG
This is in the lower part of the village. Tim's is on the right.

Other restaurants I tried :
Tenderfoot Katie's - The cafeteria. Food was mediocre, and somewhat limited, and not cheap.
Rhoda's - Right next to the cafeteria. The food I had was pretty good, and it was nice to sit outside in the sun.
The Bavarian - This is on the backside base on the mountain, and serves German food. I had a good goulash and pretzel, and again sat out in the sun on a nice deck/bar.
192 at The Blake - I had the breakfast buffet here a couple of times. It was OK, but a bit pricey (~$15).
Pizza Shack - So-so pizza.
The St. Bernard - A very old hotel that's a mainstay at Taos. The lunch there is good food and reasonably priced. (I hear the burgers on the deck are a good deal too, but didn't get there.)

The Powderhorn also had a little locker/boot up area that I used each morning before walking to the lifts. So on Sunday morning I got booted up and headed out for my Ski Week.

Taos 021018 073 DC ACR Conv.jpg
Lockers at the Powderhorn

The Ski Week

Since Taos started allowing snowboarding about 10 years ago, technically it's now a "Snowsports Week". But a lot of folks still call it a Ski Week. It runs Sunday through Friday (or Monday through Friday). My first ski day was Sunday, so I headed out to get warmed up. The lifts start at 9:00, so I didn't even need to get up all that early.

Taos 021018 018 DC ACR Conv.jpg
Lift 1 - the main lift from the village. This is going to be a high speed next season apparently.

Taos 021018 067 DC ACR Conv.jpg
The infamous "Don't Panic" sign at the base. (Or as I think of it, the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy sign.)

Taos 021018 079 DC ACR Conv.jpg
The St. Bernard hotel. One of the originals, built in the 1960's, and still a posh (though old fashioned) place to stay or eat.

Taos 021018 019 DC ACR Conv.jpg
View down one of the first runs. The groomers were generally in great shape all week.

The way the Ski Week works is that everyone shows up mid-mountain at 9:45, and there's a ski off to place people into appropriate groups. There were 50 or 60 folks that showed up (apparently much less than in a typical year), and I went first in the ski off and was placed with my instructor on the hill, and waited for everyone else.

As it turned out, I wound up in a level 9 group (out of 10). Given that I don't really know what I'm doing yet with powder, moguls, trees, or steeps, that seemed high to me. But given the lack of open terrain, the instructor said I should be OK. And she was right - I wound up having a fantastic week of lessons.

We started with about 10 people in my group, with 2 instructors, and skied a bit in the morning before splitting again into two groups of 5. I wound up with Christine Lowry as my instructor, and can say anyone who winds up with her should have a great week. A lot of folks return to do ski weeks again and again, and I was the only one in my group doing their first ever ski week. So the other folks I was with knew a lot of people around the mountain.

In fact, that's something that seemed interesting... As Taos isn't very big, a lot of people in general seemed to know each other; Especially those who have done a lot of ski weeks. And the folks in my group who didn't know each other, generally had met some of the same people. It's all very friendly and there's a lot of camaraderie. (And of course, everyone seemed to know @KingGrump :P)

Taos 021018 027 DC ACR Conv.jpg
Riding up lift 2, patrol was side stepping a run to pack down the base. There was a lot of this going on, hopefully to have a good base for future snow this season.

Taos 021018 029 DC ACR Conv.jpg
Closer view of the side stepping

Taos 021018 030 DC ACR Conv.jpg
Getting some instruction early, before the last split into groups of 5

For the Ski Week, we worked on some different skills each day. And it left me with a lot of things I need to work on. On various days we worked on side slips, one footed side slips (both directions, each foot), pivot slips, short radius turns, one footed skiing, pole plants, easy moguls, skiing ice, trail edges, and a few other things I'm sure I'm forgetting.

I wasn't able to do all of them (one footed is new to me - and tough) but it was all good practice and really showed me what to work on. And given the conditions, we also got some practice at rock avoidance! And on Thursday, someone took video, and we spent a little time watching it and getting some pointers based on it.

Taos 021018 034 DC ACR Conv.jpg
The obligatory PugSki sticker shot, on lift 7a

Taos 021018 037 DC ACR Conv.jpg
Pit stop at the Whistlestop cafe mid-mountain with classmates

Taos 021018 022 DC ACR Conv.jpg
Riding up lift 8, you can see some of the extreme terrain of the West Basin. Most of the runs or chutes top out at 50 degrees or more. None of it has opened this season.

On three of the days, we ended with a run down the only open black run, a short one called Zagava. It had three sections - the skier's right were some large irregular moguls, the center section was a sheet of ice, and the skier's left side was a narrow strip of trail edge crud. The goal was short turns down the left edge. I made it down a couple of times with some difficulty, and had a couple of good falls too when I didn't make a short enough turn and the ice got me. Fun, but a bit nerve wracking, and frustrating, and good short turns are still a challenge for me.

One of the days, we got to ski a bit of powder as patrol opened a run that hasn't been open all season for us. I don't have much experience in powder, and struggled as it was heavy and layered and pretty deep (maybe 2 feet in places). I realized my initial reaction to losing balance is to brace on my downhill ski, which lead to a couple of good falls. But it was good to try, and I made at least 1 good turn!

Taos 021018 092 DC ACR Conv.jpg
Moe's in the background - the powder (or at least ungroomed) run, after a few folks had gone through it

Taos 021018 088 DC ACR Conv.jpg
My lesson group that same day

While the weather was mostly sunny, we did have one day of snow on the third lesson day (Tuesday). It was nice to get some real snow and winter weather... everyone seemed happy about it. At least, everyone who stayed and skied it - the mountain did get emptier in the wind and snow. Some people! :rolleyes:

Taos 021018 050 DC ACR Conv.jpg
Kachina Peak after some snow. It was almost completely brown prior to this.

Taos 021018 053 DC ACR Conv.jpg
The snow rolling in - about 15 minutes later it arrived.

Taos 021018 058 DC ACR Conv.jpg
Heavy but all-to-brief snow on the way up lift 8.

Taos 021018 055 DC ACR Conv.jpg
Another view of the snow!

It got a bit windier and foggier at the tale end of the snow, as the sun started coming out later in the afternoon. Still it was a very fun day. Officially they only got 1 inch, but it was more either from snowfall or windblown in places, and really freshened up the slopes.

Taos 021018 066 DC ACR Conv.jpg
Fog rolling through as the storm cleared.

Taos 021018 071 DC ACR Conv.jpg
Sun breaking through after the storm

On the last day of ski week, there is a tradition where you ski out to a tree and have martinis out of a pitcher. There's a goal to move the pitcher away as you pour it into your mouth, as far away as possible. I dislike martinis and olives, so passed, but a few of the folks did it.

Taos 021018 109 DC ACR Conv.jpg Taos 021018 110 DC ACR Conv.jpg

We skied a couple more runs, and the ski week was over. I actually bailed before the last run, as the group was going late, and I had to check out of my room.

Taos 021018 111 DC ACR Conv.jpg
My Ski Week class (Susanna, Tom, Me, Tracy, Christine, and Connor)

Other skiing
One of the advantages of visiting Taos, and knowing @KingGrump , was skiing with the Grump family and crew in the afternoons. As semi-locals for years, they know a lot of the instructors and many of them (and any other regulars) come out to ski the afternoons. It was great to get to ski with them. No real lessons or tips - they're off the clock after all - but skiing with better skiers is still fun and beneficial I think. Of course, I also had the advantage that they were forced to ski terrain I could handle, which wouldn't normally be the case.

Taos 021018 041 DC ACR Conv.jpg
Left to right, @KingGrump, me, Mrs. Grump (QueenGrump maybe? :)

Taos 021018 070 DC ACR Conv.jpg
Deciding which run to take next

Taos 021018 072 DC ACR Conv.jpg
Mrs. Grump and one of the instructors

Taos 021018 103 DC ACR Conv.jpg
The whole group on Thursday afternoon. I couldn't begin to remember all the names.

Tickets

I bought the Mountain Collective Pass early in 2017, and got my bonus day at Taos. So I had three days included on my pass, and three days at 50% off. For the pass days, I was given a photo ID with a bar code. But the one drawback to Taos being a little old school is that their system can't handle putting the 50% off days on the barcode pass. So I had to go into the pass office each morning for the three 50% off days. (Quick tip - you can get your pass and tickets either in the Taos Sports store in the base of the Blake, or at the season pass office, in the bottom level of the cafeteria building.)

The 50% off days are $52 this season, so I paid an additional $156 for the days on top of my MCP days. I've also used 2 "free" days at Sugarbush, and will use 6 days "free" in Utah. So since the MCP was $399 for me, I will have spent $555 for 14 days of skiing, or just under $40/day. Not bad!

Altitude

I generally don't deal well with altitudes over 8000 feet, and this trip was no different. It helped that the room included a good humidifier. But the short walk (~200 yards) to and from the lifts was a bit of a bear - especially heading back which was uphill. Taos is actually the highest place I've stayed. My room was at about 9300 feet. And just as I was getting acclimated, it was time to leave.

Weather

The weather was a bit on the warm side, but cold enough to maintain the snow well. Temps in the village were in the mid-30's most days. But there was just a little slush in places some afternoons, and the mountain seems to preserve the snow very well.

Leaving Taos

Coming or going to Taos you drive along the Rio Grande, which eventually forms the border between Texas and Mexico. So I stopped to take a few pictures.

Taos 021018 115 DC ACR Conv.jpg

And on the way back to Albuquerque, I met some friends in Santa Fe (MarzNC and her crew, for those that know her) who were on their way up to Taos for their Ski Week. I'd never been to Santa Fe, and got to see a little of the town (the tourist area anyway) and even did the tourist thing and bought some pottery. (And somehow I managed to resist buying the $14,000 painting that I like. :D) Santa Fe seemed like a nice town, and I could have spent some more time there.

Taos 021018 129 DC ACR Conv.jpg
Church near the main town square

Taos 021018 133 DC ACR Conv.jpg
Chile peppers are hung various places. And are used in cooking on everything - red chile, green chile, or Christmas (both).

Taos 021018 134 DC ACR Conv.jpg Taos 021018 135 DC ACR Conv.jpg
Parts of the monument in the town square, which are interesting. It appears someone scratched "savage" off of one of the plaques.

All in all, I had a great trip! (I always seem to with ski trips!!!) I'm already thinking about heading back next year.

Lastly, one last pic I like, of the Wheeler Peak area - the highest peak in New Mexico (13.159'), and just outside the resort.

Taos 021018 090 DC ACR Conv.jpg

Last edited:

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Great report - I need to get there.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Great TR! I did the ski week back in 1996, shortened because my brother racked up his knee, and it really make a difference. Have been meaning to go back again ever since. Wonder if Jim Henderson is still an instructor there?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Last I heard, he became a builder.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Well, he certainly built me a better stance and turn!

James

Out There
Instructor
Nice report! Wow, Taos is in rough shape. West ridge not open, Al's run was closed too for no snow?

What's happened to the concrete parking garage at the base?

There's a ski area outside of Santa Fe ya know. Someone on epic used to patrol there. Username escapes me now.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice report! Wow, Taos is in rough shape. West ridge not open, Al's run was closed too for no snow?

There's a ski area outside of Santa Fe ya know. Someone on epic used to patrol there. Username escapes me now.
He is here too, but under a new username
@pais alto

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Santa Fe is a nice town. Come back!

The ski area is one of those little gems. Some of the best tree skiing anywhere. (not this year though :() They also have a genius grooming crew. Even though we have had pretty much NO snow this year, the runs that are open are skiing really well.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Santa Fe is a nice town. Come back!

The ski area is one of those little gems. Some of the best tree skiing anywhere. (not this year though :() They also have a genius grooming crew. Even though we have had pretty much NO snow this year, the runs that are open are skiing really well.

Had a great time las year during their closing day! Maybe I lucked out but the snow and terrain were fantastic. Gem of a place for sure.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Yeah, it was rough. Nothing but the primary groomed runs is open - about 20% of the resort. Al's was closed, and would take a few feet of snow to open probably. (Maybe a bit less if they groom/pack it down.)

No idea, but I know a lot of village improvements are still planned... $350M over 10 years. I don't know how much of that has already been spent.

There's a ski area outside of Santa Fe ya know.

Yeah, but I didn't have time. There're also Pajarito, Sipapu, and Angel Fire not too far away from Taos or Santa Fe.

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah, it was rough. Nothing but the primary groomed runs is open - about 20% of the resort. Al's was closed, and would take a few feet of snow to open probably. (Maybe a bit less if they groom/pack it down.)

No idea, but I know a lot of village improvements are still planned... $350M over 10 years. I don't know how much of that has already been spent.

Yeah, but I didn't have time. There're also Pajarito, Sipapu, and Angel Fire not too far away from Taos or Santa Fe.
Next time if you can have an extra day, or in the summer, fall, etc go out to Chaco Canyon. Hopefully they haven't paved the road yet for the buses.

kimberlin

Getting on the lift
Skier
I stayed at the Powderhorn also when I was there two years ago. Does this look familiar? February 2016 ebay items 300.jpg February 2016 ebay items 304.jpg February 2016 ebay items 312.jpg February 2016 ebay items 300.jpg Powderhorn is a great location and very cozy. Loved the side entrance to the locker area.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^
Yep - similar. But I didn't have a kitchen/range like that... just a toaster over/microwave and mini-fridge in a cabinet. It was a small room. I would likely stay there again if/when I go back, provided the rates are the same as they change the village.

green26

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks for this! The memories... The season's over for me and now is the time I start reading the forum, cuz I already really miss skiing. Taos is my favorite place to be and after going for a couple weeks every year at the end of February, doing ski weeks (last two years with Doug Dicorsi), the whole region has its hooks in my body mind and soul. Even in Taos worst year, end of February had enough snow to make it very interesting. The Treskow-Corner Chute-Ninos Heroes-Juarez area was open and in places, couple feet of fresh powder, good trees. The funny thing was that the bumps covered with powder were boulders. Good to know. Al's opened for our last few days too. Anyway, great to sit down with a cup of coffee and read this. Nine months to go.