• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Taos Ski Valley to host World Pro Ski Tour World Championships

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Another reason for us to find our way to Taos.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I might tap the brakes on the WPST, for a while. It has a way to go in it's second re-launch. Another Dan Leever "investment." Interesting to see how many WPST championship type events they are planning. Eastern Pro Championships, WPST Finals, now this "Championship." The US Alpine Nationals are in Aspen at the end of March. Word Cup Finals are about 10 days before then. I assume that they will pay to get a decent, but not overwhelming, field to Taos, giving the timing. A lot of the better guys are exhausted by then.

Lots of well-retired NCAA and USST skiers are available, though. Ligety has signed on to try to race most of these. Not that he's going to be ultra competitive in this format. I have some experience with this, from the original tour, though the re-launch over the past few years, until the time when the new group bought it. I really wish them well. This could be a big help to a lot of racers, looking to try to earn a check to supplement their other race efforts. And fun for some who can't give it up. Note that it's all male gender at this point. Gets some people worked up, but you need to walk before you run with this. The numbers are not there for a real women's tour. WPST now has six events scheduled for this season. It kicks off at Vail, on Gold Peak, tomorrow. Then moves to Howelson Hill in Steamboat on 1/1, a week after the traditional Murphy Roberts Holiday Classic, which is a HUGE domestic FIS event. If it were a couple of days later, they might get a stacked field of NorAm and NCAA guys. Still might do well.

Next one is a couple of weeks later at Eldora. A "city event", or close? Then they take two months off to let the best in the field race elsewhere. Two events in the East in March, and then Taos.

There are a lot of great reasons to head to Taos. Wonderful place. Not sure if this would top my list of reasons. Though...Dan Leever is sinking a lot of money into it, and when he is in on something, he is ALL in. Which this needs to have any chance of success, IMO. I'd look for a lot of growth over the next year. I would love to know how the streaming subscription sales are going. I love this sport, but not that much. Yet.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't understand where the competition will be held. Doesn't seem to fit at the base, and the race courses further up the mountain aren't spectator friendly, as I remember them. Can some one help me with this?

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't understand where the competition will be held. Doesn't seem to fit at the base, and the race courses further up the mountain aren't spectator friendly, as I remember them. Can some one help me with this?
I would guess either Shalako/Baby Bear or Lower Stauffenberg. But I don’t know shit about setting race courses.

Muleski

Inactive
Keep in mind, the WPST is parallel courses, panels, and three one meter jumps. Barn door starts. Depending on the set, they run 25-35 seconds a run. More often like 25 seconds. The total vertical drop is often around 150 feet. This is not WC skiing, though it's sort of like a City Event.

The biggest issue as the guys who qualify for the round of 32 progress: 32, 16, 8, 4, and the two finalists may be the altitude for the Eastern and lower altitude guys. Basically, these things are a sprint. If you win, you head right back to the start. And you really have to be error free, and know how to handle the jumps. Will be interesting to see who comes. One advantage of Dan Leever owning this is that he can certainly afford to pay string prize money as they keep getting the WPST off the runway. Should be fun.

Normally they are run on fairly gentle and consistent terrain, with the critical part being a finish near the base, hopefully near a deck and bar.

Muleski

Inactive
Moderators,
Could we consider moving to racing and competition?
Wanted to comment an the opening WPST even at Vail this weekend and had to search for this thread!
Thanks!

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
I am out in Vail and rode the Riva Bahn lift a few times next to the race course. I didn't see too many spectators.
They did have a drum Corp playing at the finish line before the race.
I didn't see any TV cameras . My take away is with out a fan base going to be hard to sell advertising. There were advertiser banners lining the course. The race course was very short.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid