• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico Taos primer

Codger

Booting up
Skier
never having been to Taos I need first timer info. Coming from the northeast best place to fly to? Car rental needed,awd? If lodging isn’t slope side next closest area? Parking at the ski area-walk to boot up lodge or shuttle from parking lot? Where are places to eat? I probably will join ski week so that will take care of my terrain choices. Any lift and lodging packages or lift packages? Thanks

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
There's some information in this year's Taos Gathering thread : https://www.pugski.com/threads/taos-mini-gathering-2019-planning.11408/

To answer your questions directly :

Coming from the northeast best place to fly to?

You'll fly to either Albuquerque or Santa Fe. Albuquerque is about 3 hours drive from Taos Ski Valley, but has more flights and is usually cheaper to get to. Santa Fe is smaller and usually more expensive, but only about 2 hours from the resort.

Car rental needed,awd?

I would recommend an AWD if you're renting a car. Odds are that you'll get AWD if you book an SUV, but that's not actually guaranteed, so check it out when you pick up your car. The road from town up to the ski resort is a mountainous twisty road, so you'll need it if the weather if bad. If the weather is good (i.e. no snow), you'd be fine in anything.

There is also a shuttle from both ABQ and SAF, that's good if the times work for you and you're staying in the village :

https://www.skitaos.com/discover-taos/getting-here

If lodging isn’t slope side next closest area?

Basically 3 options... There is lodging at the base village of several types, hotels, condos, townhouses. There are also a few hotels 10-15 mins down the road. And then there is the town of Taos, ~30 minutes away. They get cheaper the further away you go, of course. And some people like to stay in town just to experience the town.

Parking at the ski area-walk to boot up lodge or shuttle from parking lot?

You can walk or shuttle once you've parked. They do have a boot room in the bottom level of the lodge, but I didn't use it as I was staying close enough to walk. I think it's a good place to boot up though.

Where are places to eat?

There are 7 or 8 restaurants.... I wouldn't recommend the cafeteria, but the others are good. I have some detail there in my trip report from last year : https://www.pugski.com/threads/taos-ski-week-2-3-18-2-10-18.8665/

Any lift and lodging packages or lift packages? Thanks

There are, but usually for the expensive hotels, so I haven't seen any good deals IMO. Taos is on both the Mountain Collective Pass and IKON pass, which are probably the best lift ticket options.

Paging @KingGrump for additional info. He's spent months there.

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Fly into ABQ.
AWD not needed.
The Amizette area of the ski valley.
Park and take the parking lot shuttle in shoes. Boot up in the locker room below the cafeteria. New locker room this year.
On the hill, Tim's Stray Dog Cantina has good New Mexican food. St. B has a decent skier's lunch for around $10. The St. B. deck serves burger, chicken & salmon for lunch. Good price and large portions. If it is cold outside, take the lunch inside and eat it there with everybody else. Bavarian at the bottom of chair 4 is a treat for the end of the week.
MCP & Ikon are probably your best bet.

Sponsor

Staff online