• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ForeverSki

Getting on the lift
Skier
I know some of you might be disappointed, but I for one am happy about the forecast. Easy driving, easy skiing. I am in Albuquerque and heading up tomorrow!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Ditto. Ditto.

From just reading the threads, I think Taos School needs to up their game on choosing groups. I’ll see how this works out in person before final judgment. I don’t really care if I know the peeps in my group, but I expect to be placed in a group of comparable ability, even if I happen to be the last skier in a large line for a ski off. I’ll elbow past people on a powder day, but not for a lesson that I’m paying for.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I went with the luck of the draw last year and they did a good job of matching ability.(Although two pugskiers transferred in later....)
Overall I was pretty happy. But you do basically waste a day as your instructor sizes you up and makes sure you are in the right griup and able to ski the terrain he/she has planned.

So I'm of mixed feelings about arranged vs random groups.

Plus, as the kid who was always picked last when choosing teams, I love acing the ski off.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I plan to be one of the first to ski off. My biggest problem in past ski offs (not Taos) is that I get placed in too high a group because I look good on groomers. My problem is that I don’t get a lot of practice off groomers in SoCal. I figure I can let my instructor know that little fact so he can move me to a lower group if necessary.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My point is that it shouldn’t matter if you go first or last in a ski-off, it should depend upon how you ski. And I realize it is not just technical ability, but pace of skiing, aggressiveness, fitness, experience with diff terrain.

Anyhoo, if I have any bitches about ski-off, I’ll share them locally, not on the Net. Just a bit surprised/confuzzled about some posts.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I plan to be one of the first to ski off. My biggest problem in past ski offs (not Taos) is that I get placed in too high a group because I look good on groomers. My problem is that I don’t get a lot of practice off groomers in SoCal. I figure I can let my instructor know that little fact so he can move me to a lower group if necessary.

Don't undersell yourself. Taos is a great place to learn skiing bumps and more challenging terrain.
Look at it this way. You come here to learn. Allow yourself to the opportunity to push your limits. If your groomer skills are decent, you are most of the way there for skiing off piste. Just a minor adjustment and you are good to go.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m doing a 4 pack of lessons for $240. They’re good for the whole season and they’re transferable. My left knee won’t let me do 6 days in a row. I’ll need a couple easy days and possibly a day off during the week. I did 8 days in a row at the Gathering last year and by the 6th day I could barely get my knee in my jeans and I limped for weeks once I got home. Kevin is doing the whole ski week.

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier

If I remember correctly, the guy at the top of the slope asked for my level before sending me off, and then radio the guy at the bottom. I said “intermediate and I want to do bumps and trees” and both times I got sent to the bumps/trees group immediately and we left as soon as we got 5 in the group.

The ski off slope is very short and flat. There isn’t much room to show them what you can do...and again, you can always request to switch groups if you don’t feel the one they assigned to you is what you want.

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My point is that it shouldn’t matter if you go first or last in a ski-off, it should depend upon how you ski. And I realize it is not just technical ability, but pace of skiing, aggressiveness, fitness, experience with diff terrain.

Anyhoo, if I have any bitches about ski-off, I’ll share them locally, not on the Net. Just a bit surprised/confuzzled about some posts.
Is this coming from my suggestion that PugSkiers should try to go first?

If a group at a given level fills, they’ll just start another group, not place you in a different level group. The reason I suggested we go first is so that we all (mostly) end up in that first group together. If your group fills early, that also means more time skiing and less time waiting for everyone else to ski off.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I’m doing a 4 pack of lessons for $240. They’re good for the whole season and they’re transferable. My left knee won’t let me do 6 days in a row. I’ll need a couple easy days and possibly a day off during the week. I did 8 days in a row at the Gathering last year and by the 6th day I could barely get my knee in my jeans and I limped for weeks once I got home. Kevin is doing the whole ski week.

I feel your pain... literally. I'm bringing multiple ice packs for any swelling and a heating pad for sore muscles. It's been a long, long time since I've attempted to ski 5 days straight (and almost full days at that).

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The ski off slope is very short and flat. There isn’t much room to show them what you can do

The new ski off area is much skier friendly than the old location off Chair #5.
A flat ski off area accentuates technical inadequacies.

As I said up thread. They are confident about the technical abilities. Ego, OTOH ...

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
The new ski off area is much skier friendly than the old location off Chair #5.
A flat ski off area accentuates technical inadequacies.

As I said up thread. They are confident about the technical abilities. Ego, OTOH ...

Where did they use to have the ski off? Was Chair 5 next to the old chair 1?

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Please PLEASE post video of the ski offs..
I've never taken video, but here are a couple of pics from last year, just to show where it is and how people group up. In the first one, he instructor with his poles up is calling the skier into his group. In the second, people are lined up along the left in their groups.

Taos 020919 008 DC ACR Conv.jpg Taos 020919 009 DC ACR Conv.jpg

Sponsor