• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Clearly I'm out of the loop, what is P*TS? Just out of curiosity.

Ask us over beer. Can't go into it here for reasons that are just so boring compared with Taos stoke.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So, @Pat AKA mustski , @Jerez , others who are new to gatherings: What you discover by the first afternoon is that everyone is just a jamoke like you. Some jamokier than others, it's true. But jamokes nonetheless. There is sometimes a flurry of muted one-up-personship on the first morning. It doesn't last. Everyone is too tired and too happy. By 3:00 I'm inevitably back to: "I ski like I ski, I still suck, it's still fun, and where's my beer?"

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So ski week classes are 2 hours each day from 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. Have I got it right? So can we plan on lunch and then heading out in groups (depending on what people want to ski) for the afternoons?
According to the website, it's a 9:45 start. I think my group other years after day 1 sometimes got going about 9:30. You can always get at least 1 run in before class... sometimes 2 or more if you hustle.

And yes, people do lunch various places (often in the cafeteria) and then plan to meet again at 1:00 to see where everyone wants to go in the afternoon.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Is the cafeteria at the base or at whistle stop?

Also ... I don't mind being last. I'm usually last because- since I am slower - I drop in last to avoid cutting off anyone's line.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
A buffer friend is someone you involve in a group outing where you are concerned about keeping up - a friend whom you know to be slower than you are. No one likes being the very last. :ogbiggrin:
I made the mistake of introducing @KingGrump to the concept. I've had him turn to me at the end of a run and say "Mike, today you are the buffer friend." :)

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't mind being last. I'm usually last because- since I am slower - I drop in last to avoid cutting off anyone's line.

No worries, you won't be the slowest at the gathering. I have skied with you at Mammoth. Don't tell the guys though. :ogbiggrin:

There are lots of different groups in the afternoon. Pick one.
I usually spend at least two afternoons during a gathering skiing with the slower groups. It's social skiing after all.

There is 38 skiers in the roll call thus far. I know there are at least 4 more that is coming but haven't put their names down yet. That many people usually break down to 6 to 7 groups.

This is how I see most afternoon grouping will go. There will be one or more hard charging/hiking groups. I will guide the usual old and slow group. I believe @A Grump will be leading the lambs to the slaughter with his suicide group*. Of course there will be several groups of skiers too smart to be involved with us. :ogcool:

* No Worries. He carries plenty of those little flags to mark the body in order to make things easier for patrol at end of the day sweeps.

Brock Tice

Out on the slopes
Skier
@A Grump will be leading the lambs to the slaughter with his suicide group*. Of course there will be several groups of skiers too smart to be involved with us. :ogcool:

* No Worries. He carries plenty of those little flags to mark the body in order to make things easier for patrol at end of the day sweeps.

I usually wear my beacon, that should make it easier. Sign me up!

Sponsor

Staff online