• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
From Taos Facebook page... I spent some quality time on Zagava a couple of seasons ago. Sometimes on my stomach, sometimes on my back, sometimes tumbling, and occasionally even upright on my skis...:ogcool:

1575690036612.png

Only 50 days until the Gathering!!!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Zagava is a great trail. It's a short steep surprise at the end of a green (blue?) trail. [There is a turn off that goes around -- but the natural flow of the path takes you to Zagava.]

In past years it was smooth and almost icy -- a nice challenge and an opportunity to sneer (silently and politely, of course) at the paralyzed masses stuck on it.

Last year, with the change in traffic patterns caused by the reconfiguring of lift 1, it became a bump run. It was unique in that it had serious bumps but it did not go on and on forever. A great place to introduce someone to those without making them hate you forever.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Zagava is a great trail. It's a short steep surprise at the end of a green (blue?) trail. [There is a turn off that goes around -- but the natural flow of the path takes you to Zagava.]

In past years it was smooth and almost icy -- a nice challenge and an opportunity to sneer (silently and politely, of course) at the paralyzed masses stuck on it.

Last year, with the change in traffic patterns caused by the reconfiguring of lift 1, it became a bump run. It was unique in that it had serious bumps but it did not go on and on forever. A great place to introduce someone to those without making them hate you forever.

Never realized you are such a evil person.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Two years ago in the low snow year, we skied it at the end of each day's lesson. It was mostly buffed smooth and shiny all down the middle. And there were some big, deep irregular bumps (MRG style) down the right side, and a bunch of typical trail edge crud down the left edge dropping into the woods. We only did the bumps once in class. But each day at the end of lessons, we were supposed to make short radius turns all down the left cruddy edge. If (when) I missed a turn or bobbled, I generally got spit out onto the ice and fell down most of the rest of the way. Hence my comment above.

I don't think I skied Zagava last year. But I did ski Poco Gusto, which is similar - and was decent bumps last year.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't think I skied Zagava last year. But I did ski Poco Gusto, which is similar - and was decent bumps last year.
The bumps on Zagava were more challenging than Poco Gusto last year.
I had what was probably my worst fall of the year there. I was being a bit too casual, my skis got stuck on the top of a bump and my upper body fell down the back of it. I was fine but I hit hard enough that the instructor started the "do you know where we are? What day is it?" routine.

But I am serious that being short is a unique virtue for Zagava. Many trails are long and have no bail outs. When you decide that someone is ready for a particular challenge, on most trails if you are wrong they are in for a long suffer-fest. On Zagava it may be painful but it will be over (relatively) soon.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Zag has way more character than Poco Gusto. Have a great story about Poco also.

The bumps on the skier right is usually the best way down. Got to keep track of the skiers in front of you. The bumps are usually big enough to hide a dead body.

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier
Had to get my trail map out to follow this conversation - trail names just don't stick w/ me very well. But I do remember Castor - 3 guesses who took me down it...

Sandy_NYC

Getting off the lift
Skier
A Museum-Quality Art Collection Is a Surprise Find in This Ski Resort:
Rare Georgia O’Keeffe lithographs, Gustave Baumann prints, and Edward Curtis photographs line the halls of the Blake at Taos Ski Valley.

Woke up to this article in my inbox. Excited to check this out, but nowhere near as excited as I am for SKIING Taos. This will just be the cherry on top...

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Heard the Blake hotel is having major roof leak problems. I sympathize! Hate these NM flat roofs.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Does anyone have a recommendation for place is TSV for demo rentals? I need to find a new western frontside ski - ie: 85-92ish - and thought this would be a good week to demo.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Does anyone have a recommendation for place is TSV for demo rentals? I need to find a new western frontside ski - ie: 85-92ish - and thought this would be a good week to demo.
Le Ski Mastery can do good tunes. I like the guy - French ex-racer type. Forget his name. However, not all their inventory is in great shape, or wasn't last year, anyway. It pays to go in 24 hours or (preferably) more before you need the ski, and reserve it. If the tune doesn't look good, ask him to fix up the ski before you take it out. Also be aware that if your demo ski is newish and you ding it up, you may be asked to pay a penalty. This happened to @Unpiste .

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Diggin' that Taos is at 164% snowpack per OpenSnow. Contingency plans are rapidly being forgotten and now looking at upgrades to lodging.

Yup.

I'm desperately in need of mileage. Started off okay, but work, weather, and holiday crap are killing me right now. Going to ski hard tomorrow and then try to get back on track. Honestly, though, the calendar is not looking good until January.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Le Ski Mastery can do good tunes. I like the guy - French ex-racer type. Forget his name. However, not all their inventory is in great shape, or wasn't last year, anyway. It pays to go in 24 hours or (preferably) more before you need the ski, and reserve it. If the tune doesn't look good, ask him to fix up the ski before you take it out. Also be aware that if your demo ski is newish and you ding it up, you may be asked to pay a penalty. This happened to @Unpiste .

His name is Alain and he can ski his ass off. He has done a few tunes and a mount for me in the past. His work is flawless. He will go out of his way to see you satisfied. His demo fleet...…. ymmv. Taos can be hard on skis. (and pretty much everything else it comes in contact with)

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks. I'll give them a call and see what they have. I have a couple of skis in mind that I would like to try out. I'm still looking for that elusive front side ski that can handle some off piste conditions, crud, and spring snow.

Sponsor

Staff online