• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It boggles my mind how compact Taos is. Just before 4 we were riding up lift 1 and I said that if we bombed down porcupine we could catch another ride.
Brock says, nah, let's go over to 2 and ski something good. Where else can you ski a completely different part of the hill for last run?
Mind blown....

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
So, you’ve recovered and @Noodler is still injured?

Skied a few runs with @Noodler after lunch. His form was excellent but he mentioned he is in pain and may be headed home. I have what the Doc and xrays show as costochondral joint disruption without displacement at the 6th rib where it connects to the sternum with cartilage. The pain is strong and being managed with a combination of ibuprofen and acetaminophen with vicodin for sleep. It was the worst wreck of my life and I am surprised I am able to ski reasonably comfortable. Very thankful it did not ruin my trip. Skied fine today. The worst part was removing my boots :), ouch. Missed Grumps party due to pain. Thank you for mentioning/asking. The kindness shown me has been very uplifting.

James

Out There
Instructor
Skied a few runs with @Noodler after lunch. His form was excellent but he mentioned he is in pain and may be headed home. I have what the Doc and xrays show as costochondral joint disruption without displacement at the 6th rib where it connects to the sternum with cartilage. The pain is strong and being managed with a combination of ibuprofen and acetaminophen with vicodin for sleep. It was the worst wreck of my life and I am surprised I am able to ski reasonably comfortable. Very thankful it did not ruin my trip. Skied fine today. The worst part was removing my boots :), ouch. Missed Grumps party due to pain. Thank you for mentioning/asking. The kindness shown me has been very uplifting.
Sorry to hear. Hope it heals quickly. That sounded like a really bad tumble. All in all, you might be lucky. Did you go into Taos for the x-ray?

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Sorry to hear. Hope it heals quickly. That sounded like a really bad tumble. All in all, you might be lucky. Did you go into Taos for the x-ray?

I skied 2 or 3 runs after crashing Monday then called it a day and went into Mogul Medical, TSV's Medical center. In 2002 I sustained a Flail Chest injury where 5 ribs broke on the left side and thought it might be a good idea since that's where it hurt. I know the Doc....he treated me for my blown ACL in 2008 and also treated my 5 year old niece for a broken leg in 2012.

The staff there is exceptional. As a former paramedic, I'm picky about stuff like that. :) They did a sonogram for signs of a pneumothorax and took 3 chest xrays. Doc first thought I had broken ribs but upon further investigation it was decided the visible cracks were from last time I broke them. He then palpated my ribs and sternum and isolated Rib 6 at the end where it connects by cartilage to the sternum. He looked again at the xrays and could see a disruption or tear. I expected to wake up this morning and be sore all over but felt great other than rib pain.

I stopped in today to get copies of my xrays on CD and they said my color looked much better than yesterday. I guess I looked bad when I came in. Doc said he was surprised I could ski all day today. Very encouraging.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I'm home now. Drive back was pretty easy. Will be nursing my leg back to health as my schedule allows.

It had been quite a while since the last time I attended a gathering. What I was reminded of is that no matter which mountain, or the conditions, what makes gatherings great are the skiers that come together for these events. It was wonderful to reconnect with so many PugSkiers (ex-EpicSkiers) and meet many new ones. Sharing turns with like-minded skiing fanatics makes trips like these so worth it.

And on to the mountain... Taos is just wow. It is one of the most fantastic "skiing" mountains I've enjoyed in a long time. It has so much for everyone and even with my injury, I found the groomer zooming to be well above average. The groomer "next to" the terrain park under 7 had some of the "grippiest" cord I've skied in a long time. I can't wait to get back to Taos healthy and really explore so much of the mountain I didn't get to experience. I am definitely planning on coming back next year. I hope this will become a regular part of the PugSki Annual Tour.

Thanks to everyone for the conversations and well wishes. Hope to see you again soon in the not too distant future. :)

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Looks like you had beautiful weather - I just love skiing when it's sunny, not something that happens a lot here inn Michigan.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mr Queer Eyed@KingGrump, you look most stylish in that orange puffy. Mind sharing the manufacturer? Something about the stitch pattern I absolutely love. And I can say this in public knowing Mrs Grump wouldn’t mind one bit.

Now I have puffy envy... or just totally fashion sense-challenged.

And instead of ski lessons next time, what are you charging for being a fashion consultant these days?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Mr Queer Eyed@KingGrump, you look most stylish in that orange puffy. Mind sharing the manufacturer? Something about the stitch pattern I absolutely love. And I can say this in public knowing Mrs Grump wouldn’t mind one bit.

Now I have puffy envy... or just totally fashion sense-challenged.

And instead of ski lessons next time, what are you charging for being a fashion consultant these days?

Kjus. Both the puffy & pants. They are one of the very few manufacturer that make pants short enough for me.

Girl, come ski with us and we'll go shopping.

Watch out, he’ll have you on a pair of Kendos.

Nah, she is more a Kastle girl.

Sponsor

Staff online