• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
The Taos website has been saying the Kachina Peak lift is closed although all the terrain is open. Anybody know what's going on? That could be one heck of a walk.

Brock Tice

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Taos website has been saying the Kachina Peak lift is closed although all the terrain is open. Anybody know what's going on? That could be one heck of a walk.

It's open to hikers only. My last two hikes have only about about 45-50 minutes to the very top. Was very worth it last time, 6" of fresh on relatively hard snow on Main Street, I ripped down it pretty fast.

My guess is they're 'saving' it for MLK weekend (this weekend).

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It's open to hikers only. My last two hikes have only about about 45-50 minutes to the very top. Was very worth it last time, 6" of fresh on relatively hard snow on Main Street, I ripped down it pretty fast.

My guess is they're 'saving' it for MLK weekend (this weekend).
If youv'e met Brock, you know his hiking times should be doubled for normal human beings. And probably tripled for me.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Pat AKA mustski now I wish I was coming!
You asked about cafeteria at Whistle stop.

The whistle stop has bathrooms, water, drinks and a small snack bar (it wasn't serving food some mid week days when I was there) Perfect to warm up.

The BIG Cafeteria and food is at the base. There is another day lodge over by Lift 4 and you can also walk over to the Bavarian for lunch from there.

Show your IKON Pass for discount on food at the base!

You'll have a blast. Taos is a great Mt.

Brock Tice

Out on the slopes
Skier
If youv'e met Brock, you know his hiking times should be doubled for normal human beings. And probably tripled for me.

You usually see 45 minutes to an hour quoted for the hike. However, the folks that hike it tend to be pretty fit and accustomed to altitude.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Last time I hiked Kachina it took me a little over an hour. I am used to altitude and moderately fit but have a few years on me and short legs! Personally I think Kachina may be more worth it when it is hike only.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The BIG Cafeteria and food is at the base. There is another day lodge over by Lift 4 and you can also walk over to the Bavarian for lunch from there.
If you want to run into people, you want the main base cafeteria or the deck at the St. Bernard, which is right next to the base.
(There is a wider food selection inside at the St. Bernard but it is too slow for lunch.)

edit: I just remembered the cafeteria has a name, "Tenderfoot Katie's"

Last edited:

Brock Tice

Out on the slopes
Skier
poco.jpg

Brock Tice

Out on the slopes
Skier
While we are talking about place names, does anyone know where Seldom [Seen] is?

ForeverSki

Getting on the lift
Skier
A buffer friend is someone you involve in a group outing where you are concerned about keeping up - a friend whom you know to be slower than you are. No one likes being the very last. :ogbiggrin:
Then I am the ultimate buffer friend. Between my bad knee, lack of stamina, and getting out of breath, I get ditched routinely (but politely) after a couple of runs. :ogcool: Which is perfectly fine; I am having fun!:daffy:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Then I am the ultimate buffer friend. Between my bad knee, lack of stamina, and getting out of breath, I get ditched routinely (but politely) after a couple of runs.

No, that's no good. Because then the next slowest, who might be me, no longer has the buffer. A good buffer friend has to be foolhardy enough to persevere!

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Wino Alert:
Join us for the 34th Annual Taos Winter Wine Festival, a celebration of food and wine. Date Jan. 30- Feb 2 - 3:00pm to 7:00pm

The Taos Winter Wine Festival is an annual four-day weekend of events featuring the culinary artistry found in Taos, New Mexico’s many excellent restaurants coupled with the sophistication and wines of national wineries. By bringing over 40 national wineries to Taos to partner with 24 of the areas best restaurants, a four-day schedule of snow, food and wine events featuring the Grand and Reserve Tastings, chefs luncheons, winery seminars and wine dinners. The weekend culminates with the Grand Tasting at the Taos Valley Ski Resort where restaurants and wineries serve samples of their best food and wine.
The full schedule of events will be posted soon.
For more information please CLICK HERE.