• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
C'mon guys, if I didn't know better, I would say you guys don't like skiing with me. :ogcool:

No one has died from skiing with me ... yet. :ogbiggrin:
We love to ski with you KingG, most everywhere that you take us - you are a great guide. I'm not all that smart so I'll follow you and JohnL too - almost anywhere, however . . . .
Maybe not everyone knows that KingG rarely buckles his boots. So when he looks down a chute and decides to buckle, it's an omen.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
How do these mini gatherings work as far as meeting up and putting faces with names? Is there morning and lunch time meet ups? I am doing ski week so hope to catch up with everybody at lunch. Bob will want to meet up in the morning to find ski companions. And then of course, there is always après!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Morning - 9 am lift #1 or hang out at Whistle Stop.
First day ski off is the slope on skier's right of the Whistle Stop at 9:45.
Other days, ski week classes usually meet at Whistle Stop at 10 am. Unless previous arrangement made by the instructor.
First day lunch is usually at the cafeteria. Look for the unruly bunch. Other days - whatever.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Morning - 9 am lift #1 or hang out at Whistle Stop.
First day ski off is the slope on skier's right of the Whistle Stop at 9:45.
Other days, ski week classes usually meet at Whistle Stop at 10 am. Unless previous arrangement made by the instructor.
First day lunch is usually at the cafeteria. Look for the unruly bunch. Other days - whatever.

Is first day the Sunday? I think that's what was posted previously.

So will ski week participants be skiing a bit before class starts each day? And when does the class end? (I know I could go back and reread this monster thread ;) ).

Brock Tice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Conditions were surprisingly nice today. Underneath was a bit crusty but there was just enough creamy fresh snow on top to absorb energy and fill in the cracks.

I hiked the peak in the clouds and they cleared just when I got to the top.

Main Street was (lots of) dust on crust, no bumps, and I was able to let it rip in a way that conditions have never permitted me to before.

We're in pretty good shape, another couple direct storm hits before the gathering would be helpful though.

For perspective, snow coverage is good enough that 7th Heaven/"upper Bob's" is open again, and last weekend I heard Lorelei Sunspots was open on the radio, but unfortunately didn't have a chance to get over there and cross that one off. PANO_20200112_112930.vr.jpg

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Is first day the Sunday? I think that's what was posted previously.

So will ski week participants be skiing a bit before class starts each day? And when does the class end? (I know I could go back and reread this monster thread ;) ).

First day of the gathering is Sat 1/25. I believe some won't make it in on Friday night after work. For those Sat will be their travel day.
Ski week always starts on Sunday. One can also join on Monday. It's the same price but with one less day.

IIRC, you are a P*TS guys. A ski week will not make sense for you due to philosophical differences. No judgement here. Just the way things are.

Lifts starts at 9 and ski week groups usually meet at 10 by Whistle Stop. One can make several warm up runs before going to class.
Class at 12. Usually the instructor will bring the group back to the area right outside the St. B.
Taos is a pretty compact area. Almost everything is clustered by lift #1.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I will definitely ski before class starts. I like to warm up and get circulation going in my feet otherwise my ankles are too tight- bone inhibited dorsiflexion.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
First day of the gathering is Sat 1/25. I believe some won't make it in on Friday night after work. For those Sat will be their travel day.
Ski week always starts on Sunday. One can also join on Monday. It's the same price but with one less day.

IIRC, you are a P*TS guys. A ski week will not make sense for you due to philosophical differences. No judgement here. Just the way things are.

Lifts starts at 9 and ski week groups usually meet at 10 by Whistle Stop. One can make several warm up runs before going to class.
Class at 12. Usually the instructor will bring the group back to the area right outside the St. B.
Taos is a pretty compact area. Almost everything is clustered by lift #1.

So ski week classes are 2 hours each day from 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. Have I got it right? So can we plan on lunch and then heading out in groups (depending on what people want to ski) for the afternoons?

BTW - Are there any parking concerns at Taos? How early do you need to be at the mountain to get a decent parking spot?