• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I got my AirBnB settled for Taos, and they sent me the exact address. So I'm looking around on google maps, and I see a nearby restaurant, Taos Common Fire. Somehow the wine list made me thing of you, @Philpug amd @Tricia, I don't know why....
View attachment 84193

Pug amusement, aside, that's an obnoxious wine list, unless the column telling you exactly what the wines actually are has been cropped off or something. (I can live with the cutesy nicknames as long as they're backed up by real information.) /rant

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
--- PSA ----

Ski The Change.

Ski The Change.png

Taos is now a certified B corp.

BCORP-logo-mountains.jpg

So you ask. What does this mean for the mini-gathering?
Going by the logo, I would say we are all required to wear a Bogner jacket before they will allow us to load onto lift #1. No exceptions.
So y'all gotta get your shopping done early to avoid the rush.

P.S. If any of you are fashion sense challenged. Mamie is standing by to help.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Taos opens Thursday on limited runs.. initially the site said only lift 1 and Pioneer running... now the page says "Details about Opening Day will be added soon."

I wonder if this forecast means that they'll get a bit more open:

upload_2019-11-26_10-54-39.png

If that pans out, I wonder if they'll run 2 or 8 as well.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
May have already been answered in this marathon of a thread, but any possible leads on discounts for a 6th day at Taos?

They're $83 for the week of the Gathering if you buy online now. I don't know if that will be more or less than the IKON buddy pass (25% off the window rate). I suspect it will be pretty close.

I haven't been able to find any other discounts.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
(simultaneous typing....)
Ikon gets buddy tickets 25% off the full walk up rate (but not for yourself, so tradng is required). If you can find someone with a full Taos season pass, they get a bigger discount for buddy tickets. (I think I remember quite a bit bigger).

But the mid-week advance purchase Liftopia rate was actually more than 25% off. So last year I used a few of my Ikon days, bought a lift ticket the cheapest day, and then used the rest of my Ikon days.
That was buying two days ahead, by the way, not way in advance.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
:huh: $327 for the lift tix or lodging, if lodging, where and how many days/nights ... I may have to look into this???

Price for ski week - $300 + Taxes = $327.

6 days, 2 hours per days. Same instructor and same people in your group. Killer terrain.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
OK, thx, and that's not half bad but I'd still have to figure out lodging/transportation and I know nothing of Taos, never been there.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
:huh: $327 for the lift tix or lodging, if lodging, where and how many days/nights ... I may have to look into this???

A "ski week," in Taos speak, means lessons.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
May have already been answered in this marathon of a thread, but any possible leads on discounts for a 6th day at Taos?
I've heard that Costco has good prices on tickets for Taos (in NM at least.) Also, if you have a season pass somewhere else, check your passholder perks. I'd noticed before that this year Wachusett passholders get perks at Taos, and was expecting just a discount, but just checked and actually get 3 free days at Taos.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I've heard that Costco has good prices on tickets for Taos (in NM at least.) Also, if you have a season pass somewhere else, check your passholder perks. I'd noticed before that this year Wachusett passholders get perks at Taos, and was expecting just a discount, but just checked and actually get 3 free days at Taos.

Costco online doesn't seem to list Taos, though I do see Mammoth, Killington, Mount Hood Meadows, and a few others. Any idea if this changes throughout the season?

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Hey JohnL. Couple things to consider when you get there and have to decide how to parse out your Ikon days.
  1. Are weekend tix significantly more $ than weekday tix? If so, make sure you use your Ikon days on weekends. I.e. don't run out before the last Saturday. Use your Costco ticket or whatever on a weekday.
  2. You may decide you need a whole or half rest day. Don't buy a day you may not use. After several days of chasing certified L3s all morning and then chasing certifiable "L4s" all afternoon - you know who I'm talking about - I was toast and needed half a day of low elevation tourism.

Sponsor

Staff online