• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Finally found some time to chime in. New member here who planned a solo trip to Taos then was informed pugskiers are going the same week. Hope you don’t mind my crashing your party.

I will be staying at Snakedance condo from 1/25 Saturday to 1/31 Friday. I will be doing a Ski Week. I have the IKON base pass so will miss one of the week days, unless I decide to forgo a car and do the TSV shuttle from and to ABQ. In that case I will ski Sun-Thur and leave on the shuttle Friday morning.

Party crashers are encouraged here- That's if they don't drink all the beer !

Before I became active on Pugski I happened to be at Blue Knob the same weekend as Epic/Pugski gatherings 3 years in a row.
4th year I happened to be at Snowbird the same week as their gathering ! Amazing coincidences ! ( @Philpug was at one of the Blue Knob
ones but I didn't know him then)

John (mdskier -yes CA transplant from MD)

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is getting some legs.... I dropped in on the Taos gathering for a couple days last year. I didn’t do the ski week so I didn’t see the rest of the group a lot. I did get around the mountain a lot though and know my way around a bit better. ⛷

ForeverSki

Getting on the lift
Skier
Party crashers are encouraged here- That's if they don't drink all the beer !
No fear there. I found out in college I get awful palpitations from mere drops of alcohol. Other than sips of wine, I don’t drink. Fair to say I’m very boring for après ski.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@dbostedo Do we have a count (or ratio) of how many are staying at TSV versus in town?

Nope... I have no idea. Based on last year, I'd guess maybe 1/4 at TSV, a few at the nearby hotels, and 2/3 in Arroyo Seco or Taos. Totally guessing though. I'm staying in Arroyo Seco.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
For those not staying at TSV, what is the parking and boot-up situation like?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Park wherever the parking guys direct you. The lots are seldom full. Plenty of overflow capacity.
Take a pic of the parking lot sign where you parked your car. Hop on the cattle car and they will drop you off close to the base.
Follow the masses to the base area. The locker room is on the lower level of the cafeteria next to the bathrooms. Follow the smell.
There are pay lockers there. We usually toss our bags under the benches.
Lift #1 is outside up a short flight of stairs.

Have fun.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
For those not staying at TSV, what is the parking and boot-up situation like?

Pretty easy... especially if you get there early. There's parking not too far away, and a locker room where a lot of folks will choose to boot-up. They run a little shuttle around the parking lots if you have to park further away. Here's a village diagram :

upload_2019-10-20_19-36-59.png

The meet-up spot is near the ski racks outside the cafeteria, and near the entrance to the corral for lift 1.

There's a reasonably sized locker room in the cafeteria building basement. You could usually stash your bag under a bench if you got there by 8:30 (for 9:00 lift start) :

Taos 020919 073 DC ACR Conv.jpg

And here's a closeup of the lift 1 area showing things a little more clearly:

upload_2019-10-20_19-40-45.png

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I stayed walking-distance last year. I liked it, but a bit pricey. Leaning towards Arroyo Seco this time. I have stayed in various motels in town other years. I liked the Sagebrush motel -- a bit older and some of the rooms show it, but the rooms are huge and and have interesting decor. I've also done the Hampton Inn -- predictable and boring. (One of the advantages of staying in town is that you can stop at World Cup Coffee on the way.)

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Airbnb placements are plentiful and affordable in Taos and surrounds.

Sponsor

Staff online