• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd have to change my avatar. :nono:
Maybe this one? :eek::D

c68.png

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I will say that dinner at the St. Bernard was exactly as advertised ... since 1970. And I mean that in the best possible way, even if @Pumba and I did spend too much on wine. ( @mdf and @cantunamunch : we had the 2nd wine of Fieuzal - blanc - with the trout. Gorgeous. ) Perfect ski lodge ambience. Alta Lodge, you're not a patch on the place.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Alta Lodge, you're not a patch on the place.

I've stayed at the Alta Lodge for more times than I like to admit. That place smells like a locker room.

Brock Tice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Today started out not great, I hiked Kachina and watched them spin the lift when I was around k2, found more breakable crust and generally crappy wind-affected snow once I got up there, and choked up on slick snow in Hunziker main. Things got considerably better after lunch, we did some laps with a group of instructors, Grumps, and a few other hangers-on like me, two more laps on Kachina via the lift, including Hunziker main (and it was skiing much better), and wrapped up with some front-side steeps plus a sweep with patrol.

I'm beat! Hopefully there is a 2020 TSV Mini- (or not-so-mini-) gathering!

P.S. Got another photo of Lake Fork Peak from the top of Kachina after hiking it.
PANO_20190210_102214.vr.jpg

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
I was in Taos yesterday and today till 1. Ran into @Unpiste at the end of yesterday but was with some friends that were anxious to get to back to town that I had to catch up to. Today we skied till 1 and then blew out for the drive back to Summit. Got two laps on kachina with one down hunziker main and one on k5. A little wind affected in spots but very nice overall. It's been over 15 years since the last time I was in Taos....what a humbling but fun mountain!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I would like to start a discussion about the ski weeks --
what did you learn? Was the mix of teaching vs terrain exploration vs "just skiing" appropriate? More or less teaching? Balance of talking vs demoing vs following?
How was the terrain level? How well matched was your group? Did you think there should have been a secondary sorting after the initial ski off?

I would go first, but I realized this morning that the "work" thing I came home for is not just an abstraction. I'll give my experience later...

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
what did you learn? Was the mix of teaching vs terrain exploration vs "just skiing" appropriate? More or less teaching? Balance of talking vs demoing vs following?
How was the terrain level? How well matched was your group? Did you think there should have been a secondary sorting after the initial ski off?

I would go first, but I realized this morning that the "work" thing I came home for is not just an abstraction. I'll give my experience later...
I'd be interested in hearing more about this, as someone who is considering doing the ski week next season.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Good topic. Should it be a separate thread?

Overall my experience at Taos and with the Ski Week was positive.

The instructor I had the first day was focused on concepts, observations, and drills, including a fair amount of 1:1 attention. In principle I was on totally on board with this. Unfortunately that class was moving a little too slowly for me. (I was getting cold from waiting around.) Therefore I changed to a more ambitious group.

In the new class the instructor was much more passive. IMO most of us could have used more 1:1 attention and suggestion from him. The instruction we did receive was valuable, and it was definitely the right thing for me to have moved into a class with stronger skiers.

Rather than assigning students to a class based solely on ability level, I'm wondering if it would be better to use learning preferences as a secondary criteria. I think I would have liked the first instructor but the second class.

Historically I have taken lessons VERY rarely. Like, once every five years rarely. At the most. So last week probably represented as much total lesson time I've had in my entire 50-year ski career combined. When I do take lessons I therefore want to maximize what I get from the instructor. It struck me at Taos that this perspective was the exception rather than the rule. Many of the students were clearly Taos regulars with money and time to spend. They see a Ski Week as something that you're going to do many times, and so it's no big deal to wait for a simpatico instructor.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tony S , @dbostedo : I agree on a new thread. I can do it myself, though a mod can tie up loose connections better. The first impulse would be to put it in ski instruction, but I'm thinking trip reports might actually be better. What do you think?

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tony S , @dbostedo : I agree on a new thread. I can do it myself, though a mod can tie up loose connections better. The first impulse would be to put it in ski instruction, but I'm thinking trip reports might actually be better. What do you think?

Ski instruction IMO, definitely.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Back in the gym. My peak heart rate during my half hour on the stair master dropped from 138 before Taos to 135 now. Woo hoo!ogwink
But, it actually dropped from that peak in the last 5 minutes, which I don't ever remember it doing before.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
That , to this reader, means you also changed your breathing pattern, not just your blood values.

I'm still in NM, no flatlander numbers.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
I will say that dinner at the St. Bernard was exactly as advertised ... since 1970. And I mean that in the best possible way, even if @Pumba and I did spend too much on wine. ( @mdf and @cantunamunch : we had the 2nd wine of Fieuzal - blanc - with the trout. Gorgeous. ) Perfect ski lodge ambience. Alta Lodge, you're not a patch on the place.

I'd say the dinner at the St.Bernard was okay and worth it for a one time thing. As non guests of the hotel, I feel we didn't get the full "experience," because we were relegated to the empty side room all by ourselves. If we were a bigger group, this may have been fine, but since there were only 6 of us, it seemed like we were more of an after thought to the staff. It really felt like we were in coach and the rest of the guests were in first class! Which was basically the case. I know it's supposed to be very expensive to stay there. This is not reflected at all in their restaurant/bar bathrooms. Do the rich find gross bathrooms charming?
@Tony S 's wine choices were stellar and we did spend a bit too much on it, but YOLO. I thought the food was above average, certainly not mind blowing. I was in it more for the ambiance.

Sponsor