• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Twilight view of Kachina... they're supposed to get a few more inches in the next day or so... 109 days and counting down...

kachina.jpg

clong83

Stauffenberg!
Skier
^^^
See you out there! :) I suppose we should do a roll call in this thread too...

I'll start... if you're going to be there any time in early February, add your handle and dates to the list...

@dbostedo : 2/2 - 2/9
@mdf : 2/1 - 2/10
@Dean : 2/2 - 2/9
@aveski : 2/3 - 2/8

Who else? @KingGrump? @Sandy_NYC? @Pumba? @Unpiste?
Well, I live nearby and have a pass. I've never done a ski week, but I am seriously considering it this year if I can arrange the time off. I'll try to keep my early Feb. calendar clear and join you guys if I can.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
^^^
See you out there! :) I suppose we should do a roll call in this thread too...

I'll start... if you're going to be there any time in early February, add your handle and dates to the list...

@dbostedo : 2/2 - 2/9
@mdf : 2/1 - 2/10
@Dean : 2/2 - 2/9
@aveski : 2/3 - 2/8

Who else? @KingGrump? @Sandy_NYC? @Pumba? @Unpiste?

Booked our airfare last night! So Peter and I will be there from 2/2 flying out 2/9. I think @Sandy_NYC will be on the same flight, I hope.

Anyone else arriving in abq around midday Saturday? If so, interested in splitting an suv with us??

MattSmith

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ugh... I can't believe I'm considering this. Maybe it's just a mid-October snow jones. Thanks to @mdf for filling in most of the details.

1 question for the group:

Does the ski week fill up? I'd really like to participate, but will likely hold off on making the call until early January. Does experience show I could be to late and blocked out of the lessons?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The ski week does not run out of spaces. They have more than enough instructors to take all comers. Two to three hundred on a good week.
Just don't ask them to hurt you. They can and they will just for the entertainment value.
If most of the terrain is open, Find some one who is familiar with Taos to ski with. You can find a lot of really dark places.

The ski week starts on Sunday. You can also join on Monday for the same price. Will get one less day. We call the Monday folks - Fresh meat.
Will have to go through a ski off unless you are a regular.
The ski school will not allow skiers to join the ski week after Monday. Unless you are well connected.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Ugh... I can't believe I'm considering this.

"Ugh"? "Can't believe"? Geez... I'm not sure we want you to join! :D

Are you going to be out west somewhere at that point?

I'm with you on the snow jones... I keep checking the 15 day extended forecast, hoping to see freezing overnight temps at Whitetail, even though I doubt they've ever opened before Thanksgiving.

MattSmith

Out on the slopes
Skier
^^^^
Awe come on! You know I bring a good level of enthusiasm to the slopes :yahoo: Just not too much enthusiasm. @KingGrump has me nervous and you've mentioned Taos has some very extreme terrain given an adequate amount of snow.

"ugh" is in regards to adding another week away from home this winter and the added expense of the trip. I won't have an income stream after December so that has me more conscious than usual about additional expenses. I'll probably be running around NE skiing anyway, but it's easier to be within a 4hr drive to home in case something comes up.

Yes, driving west on Feb 18.

Thanks for the info @KingGrump

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Aw, com'on Matt, don't let me scare you off now. Taos is one of the best hill around.
I've ski with you and I know you are a really good skier. You should have no issues at Taos. Skiing with folks that knows the terrain just makes it more fun.

If I don't make the gathering, I can still hook you up with some folks that will give you a guided tour.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If I don't make the gathering, I can still hook you up with some folks that will give you a guided tour.

I'm pretty confident that, with so many of your diskiples in place for a week at Taos, you will manage to put in an appearance.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Can't say.
Management never let me know what is going on. :cool:

Sandy_NYC

Getting off the lift
Skier
I just booked my flights! They are the same as @Pumba and Peter's flights. Will be there from 2/2 - 2/9. Can't wait to ski with you all (that includes you @KingGrump )

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Have it shipped to Taos

We like cash & carry. Impulse buying at its finest.
Shoulda jump on it sooner., She already have as stash of new jacket for the season.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
I was looking at the site and noticed the "ski week" lessons option. 9:30-11:30 for 6 days. I haven't had a lesson in years, but that seems like it might be a good option to get some instruction for a number of days without full day commitments. Anyone been through it? If so, was it helpful?

Thanks!

Last edited:

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Terrain, ski week & vibe. That's what TSV is known for.
Most at the gathering been through one or more ski weeks. They can comment on it for sure.
Pretty sure they liked it or they won't be going back.

Me, 30+ ski weeks over the years and I still suck.
Just at a higher level.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone been through it? If so, was it helpful?

Yes! It's the main reason I want to go back to Taos.

I did my first one last year, and it was great. Several other folks in this thread have done one before as well.

For anyone who hasn't done one, here's how it works...

-- Sunday morning everyone gathers mid-mountain (sometimes up to a couple of hundred skiers), and the instructors line up on either side of the bottom of a short run from there
-- One at a time, you ski down, making maybe 10 or 15 turns, and one of the instructors will waive you over to their group
-- The rest of that first day you ski around and likely talk about what you want to learn/work on
-- The groups are typically about 5 people plus the instructor
-- The rest of the week, Monday - Friday, you have a 2 hour lesson from 9:00 to 11:00

Here's my trip report from last year :
https://www.pugski.com/threads/taos-ski-week-2-3-18-2-10-18.8665/

Sponsor

Staff online