• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^
Still haven't opened 4 or 7 yet. Any idea on when those open in a typical year?

Usually by Christmas week. There is really not enough skier on the hill early season.to warrant the extra lifts. Both the upper and lower front are open. There is plenty advanced terrain available.

a good carving GS ski

You will die a short and painful death. :eek: :D
Unless you are doing the race week, race skis are not necessary for the ski week.
At your level, most classes will want to hike and ski the steeps. For most skiers. a GS ski would not be the optimal ski choice for steep bumpy trees.
If you want to blow off some steam on the back side in the afternoon then bring them.

For those who have weighed the pros and cons before, is staying in town and driving up the mountain worth the savings? Or should I "splurge" and look for something in the village? What would you do with a 5 year old as part of the mix?

If you have a 5 year old, splurge and stay on the hill. Logistic will be much simpler.
Taos has a wonderful children ski school. Andrew grew up in the Taos children ski school. His first time there was when he was 5. He is 23 now and still do ski weeks.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That ain't no kid it's a trench laying monster

Thought he was gonna teach ski weeks ....

What is the difference between a ski instructor and a large pizza? :cool:

Can't say he haven't had offers last season. :nono:

Don't mess with him. He has a real job now. Should really stay away from bad influence like you.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I like to think I am the guiding light.

James

Out There
Instructor
^How's the St Bernard doing?
Talk about gs skis at Taos. I showed up in 2000 with new 193 Volkl F1 gs skis. Even then they were too stiff.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The St. B is doing fine. Jean is still teaching everyday. Still put the fear of God in the instructors. Works the dining room during lunch and dinner. He is doing really well for 83.
His favorite lines on the chair looking down at the instructors are:
  • Look, he is doing nothing.
  • That's just lazy skiing. You couldn't paid me to ski like that.
  • He is doing it all wrong.
He is merciless in his comments. Spares no one. Often those are senior instructors and even the SSD.
Andrew did a ski week with him last season. They get along like a house on fire.

Andrew & Jean in ski week.

D3R_3009.jpg

1989. My first time at Taos. Volkl P9 RS 205. I'll probably kill myself if I am still skiing on those today.
2000. Show up with a pair of Atomic 920 GS 195. Got smart and left with a pair of Volkl Vertigo G30 in 178.
Who say you can't teach old dogs new tricks. :cool: :D

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
^ Great photo! Goodness, Jean still looks great on skis.
Does Jean trash talk Alain Veth?

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
^ Great photo! Goodness, Jean still looks great on skis.
Does Jean trash talk Alain Veth?

Yup. Andrew told me he dis Alain off the chair also. His phrase was "Look, he is doing it all wrong." :D

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm sure I'll be doing it all wrong too.
On another note, is anyone planning on watching the Super Bowl? Maybe we can have a watching party. I'll bring some bourbon.
I also still have space available in my Airbnb.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If we end up going, we would watch the Superbowl. Especially if the Rams make it all the way.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm sure I'll be doing it all wrong too.
On another note, is anyone planning on watching the Super Bowl? Maybe we can have a watching party. I'll bring some bourbon.
I also still have space available in my Airbnb.
I'm definitely in DFW until the end of January. I switch to nights tomorrow and we'll be running 24/7 until January 22. That's 13hrs a day non stop through holidays and everything, I'll definitely be ready for a break at the end of this run. Things are looking good for Taos. I'm still a very likely for this trip, at least for a few days. Unless, of course, something comes up and they need me elsewhere. Hoping to just be able to cruise a little bit afterwards. There's always a lot of change orders after one of these shutdowns. It makes for a number of weeks of usually easy little jobs.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It has occurred to me that this "mini" gathering is not so mini.
That's what I love about this community!!!

If February weren't so jammed for us, we'd try to be there too.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
Last call - anyone interested in splitting an SUV with Peter, @Sandy_NYC , and myself? Driving duties will be split between Peter and maybe me. We have good music and podcasts!!! We are also foodies who will hunt down good/interesting food along our routes!

We arrive in abq around 11am Sat Feb 2 and depart early Am on sat Feb 9. Staying in town. We will most likely leave taos Friday late afternoon, visit Santa Fe for dinner, then down to cheap airport motel in abq.

If the above works out for you, let me know.

Last edited:
TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Oof.. a high of 8 degrees tomorrow? Still should be a great powder day for someone! :)

Sponsor

Staff online