• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
By the way, it's currently dumping on the upper mountain in Taos (lighter snow in the village)... 6-12 inches today. :yahoo: Kind of hard to see without looking at the cams...

upload_2018-12-2_12-14-34.png

Jimski

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks to all for your replies. Sounds like TSV leans more toward the Stowe model than the Snowmass model. I think I'll stick with the rental car, so I can get around during the week. Also, that would allow me to stay with my current flights, which are non-stops out and back on SW between BWI and ABQ. I have a strong preference for non-stops, having had ski gear "lost" on previous trips with 1-stop flights.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmm... I offered to add to the roll. And I see a "Team Gathermeister" under your name too. Surely you could also handle it? :D

You have to cut me some slack on that. English is my second language. Grew up in NYC. :D

Even though I am on Team Gathermeister, I don't do administration. Leaning more towards entertainment and enforcement.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Seeing this looks to be where the Taos experts hang out. May I sneak in a quick question about the Taos ski school lesson program?

Apart from their famously successful ski week, I noticed they also offered a weekend program “for people who don’t have a week”. For about the same cost as the ski week, 2 1/2 days of instructions. (granted, no free skiing practice time between sessions)

I’ve not heard of it before. Don’t know if it’s a new program. Any of the “Taos regulars” here have done that and can share experience?

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The power weekend program is new for this year. It reminded me of the old Super Ski Week program. A little less than half of it to be exact.

That much instruction at one time can be overwhelming. Much depends on your temperament and disposition. Where you fit in the food chain of your group will also affect that perception. The pace can be brutal if you fall into the lower part of the group.

All in all, if you are press for time, I don’t see why not.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve been in DFW all week now. I’ll be here all through the GM shutdown which puts me here to late January at the least. I’ve got the Z-90’s and the JJ’s with me and funny enough I’ve got my King Cobras too...... I’ve already cleared the Gathering through corporate when I signed on. Taos is still on my radar......in a big way

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ok, I have been lurking since the thread started and am extremely tentatively putting my hat in. Still trying to figure out some of those pesky details to see if it can happen. It would be me and family.

Come join us! Would be nice to have another woman in the crew.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
That much instruction at one time can be overwhelming.
I was worried exactly about that! Not having the free time to digest and absorb the instructions.

Also, if I do go, It’ll be relatively early in the season, around mid-Jan. Last time I went to Taos in January, it was pretty bony! That could make it even more intense that other times.

On the other hand, at ~$200+, it’s not a lot of money. It’s either spend that small sum and learn something vs just free skiing for $0.

(or skip it altogether and stay put to enjoy the more mellow terrain at Copper — I tend to be lazy and easily entertained with mellow skiing if I don’t has a goal)

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I was worried exactly about that! Not having the free time to digest and absorb the instructions.

Also, if I do go, It’ll be relatively early in the season, around mid-Jan. Last time I went to Taos in January, it was pretty bony! That could make it even more intense that other times.

On the other hand, at ~$200+, it’s not a lot of money. It’s either spend that small sum and learn something vs just free skiing for $0.

(or skip it altogether and stay put to enjoy the more mellow terrain at Copper — I tend to be lazy and easily entertained with mellow skiing if I don’t has a goal)

Most of the digesting is actually done way after the ski week. Sometimes, year later.

Don't use last year as a metric. Last year was the worst snow year since they opened in 1955. This season is shaping up to be a normal winter. The terrain will way more intense than last season.

If you like mellow, definitely Copper.
Skied Copper with a bunch of Taos instructor after Taos closed last season. Terrrain wise, it was a snoozer.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Don't use last year as a metric. Last year was the worst snow year since they opened in 1955. This season is shaping up to be a normal winter. The terrain will way more intense than last season.
No, I didn’t go last year. It was a couple decades ago that I went in January for the first time. Since then, I had always gone in February or March.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
An unexpected 5" overnight. We'll take it.

Screenshot (101).png

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^
Still haven't opened 4 or 7 yet. Any idea on when those open in a typical year?

MattSmith

Out on the slopes
Skier
...still lurking, trending toward YES.

Question for those with experience. Does it make sense to bring a quiver to the lessons? i.e. a good carving GS ski in addition to the mid-fat Experience 100s

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For those who have weighed the pros and cons before, is staying in town and driving up the mountain worth the savings? Or should I "splurge" and look for something in the village? What would you do with a 5 year old as part of the mix?

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
...still lurking, trending toward YES.

Question for those with experience. Does it make sense to bring a quiver to the lessons? i.e. a good carving GS ski in addition to the mid-fat Experience 100s

Yes.

For those who have weighed the pros and cons before, is staying in town and driving up the mountain worth the savings? Or should I "splurge" and look for something in the village? What would you do with a 5 year old as part of the mix?

The elevation at the Ski Valley is a good reason to stay in town. Check out the El Pueblo Lodge, its great.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier

I’d stay in town. Much more to do and see on the downtime. The village is super small and the drive up is not long at all.

Sponsor

Staff online