• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Disappointments? Last season was awesome. I'm returning to Taos after all. :)

All that comes to mind is "You are dumber than you looked." Most first timer to Taos with last year's snow condition would never return.
But who am I kidding. I was there too. For the whole season. I really shouldn't talk. :roflmao: :roflmao:

Hell yeah.

Does that mean we can put your name down on the roll call?

Last edited:

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
Maayybbeeee... but steeps I'm OK trying. Bumps I'm OK trying. Trees I'm OK trying (though I still never really have). Just one at a time please. :)

You might be surprised to find the bumps in the steps/trees to be a lot more friendlier than you may expect, certainly better than the more famous runs like Al’s Run and even Kachina Peak since it’s lift served now (still a point of contention with some locals) which sees a lot more traffic and can get rutted and knarly (unless that’s your thing). ogsmileThe snow will tend to be better also. Despite its reputation Many skiers who come to Taos often never get to those areas and fresh, or nearly fresh pow can be found many days after a storm.

Tactics wise what is sometimes advocated is to turn across the fall line even to the point you may be going uphill, around a mogul or even a tree to help control speed which is just a drawn out way of saying turn shape, otherwise it’s easy to pick up speed really fast and then the turns become braking skidding ones, besides if you are going too fast you will miss the great viewsogsmile

Since you are doing the ski week you will get exposure to different tactics and plenty of practice.

Have fun, if I can I may try to hook up with you all, maybe midweek when I’m off from Ski Santa Fe.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, @dbostedo , based on what you said when we skied together in Vermont, I have a pretty specific idea of what you ought to work on to enable a breakthrough. Maybe that was just an off-the-cuff remark that is not representative, but...
In any case, this thread isn't really the place for it.

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I booked an Airbnb in the town of Taos for the gathering. There is a bed available to anyone who wants to join me in staying there.
From 2/3/19 @2 pm until 2/10/19 @ 11 am. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/16030278
The total cost is 453.92 for the week or 32.43 each per night. I'll have my own car as I plan on skiing in Colorado, Steamboat, Aspen and maybe something on the front range before driving down to Taos. Therefore it would just be splitting gas. I would charge a little less as I'm going to get the bedroom. There is also a shuttle that runs to the ski area. I plan on doing the ski week, but may not ski the entire day every day. Let me know if you are interested.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I booked an Airbnb in the town of Taos for the gathering. There is a bed available to anyone who wants to join me in staying there.
From 2/3/19 @2 pm until 2/10/19 @ 11 am. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/16030278
The total cost is 453.92 for the week or 32.43 each per night. I'll have my own car as I plan on skiing in Colorado, Steamboat, Aspen and maybe something on the front range before driving down to Taos. Therefore it would just be splitting gas. I would charge a little less as I'm going to get the bedroom. There is also a shuttle that runs to the ski area. I plan on doing the ski week, but may not ski the entire day every day. Let me know if you are interested.
I'm definitely interested but I just can't commit yet. The whole trip is still up in the air for me. I may only be able to pull off a 3-4 day weekend.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If anyone is looking for discounts on lift tickets or lodging, you might be able to find a deal via the sale Taos is having through the 26th.

https://www.skitaos.com/opening-week-sale

Not sure there's anything good in there, but thought I'd pass it along.

Only 73 days to go! :golfclap:

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I called Taos today to see if there were any discounts on the Ski Week and there weren't any. No discounts for Ikon pass holders either. For those of us with the Ikon base pass, I wonder if we can buy each other a friend and family ticket for the sixth day?

James

Out There
Instructor
Wait,.. there's a Taos gathering??
Skied there in 2000 I think. Late March. Stayed at the Abominable Snow Mansion hostel.

Wanted to do the Super Ski Week, all day, but not enough at my level, so did the regular. Awesome. Did my first cornice off the west?,hiker's right, chutes. Our group hiked Kachina peak one day then at lunch two of us nut jobs decided to hike it again.

Ski week was like family. Hell, I ended up waxing customer skis for Alain Veth, the Ski Week director, at his shop. He yelled at me for using too much wax. Never seen someone tune skis so fast. Jean Mayer made snacks for us thurs après at the St Bernard deck.

Special place Taos.

A chairlift up Kachina? Mixed feelings. Glad I was there when you had to hike. For one, no moguls.
I remember up on the ridge there was an antenna with barbed wire on the stays. I asked a patroller why? So the cows don't rub against the wires. They actually go up there, like 13,000 ft!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, count me in! Taos has been on my bucket list for a long time.

Just found the roll call from a few pages back.
I'll add you to it. You can input the dates.

1. @dbostedo : 2/2 - 2/9
  2. @mdf : 2/1 - 2/10
  3. @Dean : 2/2 - 2/9
  4. @aveski : 2/3 - 2/8
  5. @Pumba : 2/2 - 2/9
  6. Peter : 2/2 - 2/9
  7. @Sandy_NYC : 2/2 - 2/9
  8. @Bruuuce : 2/2 - 2/9
  9. @Unpiste + : 2/2 - 2/11
  10. @VickieH : 2/2 - 2/9
  11. @KingGrump : Skiing 2/3 to 2/10
  12. Mamie : Same as the idiot immediately above.
  13. @Jimski

While we are at it.

@Tony S, you in?

Sponsor

Staff online