• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I concur, @Mike King . It is perhaps unusual (to us) to celebrate the donation in this way although I think it ought to be more mainstream as a way to encourage new donors. I'd be interested to hear from the people on PugSki that are in the medical industry as to whether this type of recognition is that unusual.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
I concur, @Mike King . It is perhaps unusual (to us) to celebrate the donation in this way although I think it ought to be more mainstream as a way to encourage new donors. I'd be interested to hear from the people on PugSki that are in the medical industry as to whether this type of recognition is that unusual.
It is very unusual.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I really feel for his family. I hope and suspect they must be supportive of the video otherwise it wouldn't be public.

Organ donation is an amazing gift, and that video highlights how difficult it is for a family to make the decision to donate organs if the deceased hasn't already. Being on the operating table rather than with family taking your last breath is a small tradeoff for all of the people whose lives will be improved by the selfless act of organ donation.

Rest in peace Corey, and thank you to his family for supporting his organ donation.

James

Out There
Instructor
An economist figured out a new system for kidney donation. Very interesting.
------------------------
PBS NEWSHOUR
How kidney transplant chains are saving lives
Clip: 02/07/2019 | 9m 55s

What happens if you need a kidney transplant and don’t know someone who is a biological match? A Nobel prize-winning economist has a solution: transplant chains. Donors agree to give to a stranger in exchange for a kidney for their loved one, but it has to start with someone willing to give without getting anything in return. Paul Solman has the story of two donors who volunteered to do just that.
----------------------
https://www.pbs.org/video/the-giving-chain-1549573070/

Gentry

Booting up
Skier
I don’t think it weird. A young man tragically lost his life, but his decision to donate his organs has, or will, help many others. That’s something to be honored, and they did.

Vice News did a report on a silver lining of the drug epidemic is it's actually creating lots of opportunities for organ donation. Most of the time the organs that would be donated are not effected by the OD. Clip showed a hospital doing the same walk of honor for the comatose body of a OD patient about to be taken off life support to donate her organs.

Brock Tice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Word on the mountain from a few sources is that management let some wealthy folks go up before the lifts opened and ski from the peak the day of the slide, then left it open over the protests if ski patrol. This supports my suspicions that it was opened too soon for the holiday weekend. It is second-hand information but I've heard it from diverse sources now.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Word on the mountain from a few sources is that management let some wealthy folks go up before the lifts opened and ski from the peak the day of the slide, then left it open over the protests if ski patrol. This supports my suspicions that it was opened too soon for the holiday weekend. It is second-hand information hit I've heard it from diverse sources now.

Eh... diverse sources have a tendency to all repeat/spread the same information (or mistaken information if that happens to be the case). I'd like to see something concrete from Taos, or a CAIC type report, on what was done and what was allowed.

Brock Tice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Eh... diverse sources have a tendency to all repeat/spread the same information (or mistaken information if that happens to be the case). I'd like to see something concrete from Taos, or a CAIC type report, on what was done and what was allowed.
Me too but it's been absolute silence.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

Technically speaking, it won't be a CAIC report. The closest thing a Google search finds for New Mexico's equivalent to CAIC is http://www.nnmae.org.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Word on the mountain from a few sources is that management let some wealthy folks go up before the lifts opened and ski from the peak the day of the slide, then left it open over the protests if ski patrol. This supports my suspicions that it was opened too soon for the holiday weekend. It is second-hand information hit I've heard it from diverse sources now.
@Brock Tice, I'm sorry if this is too direct, but I think it is absolute bullshit to pass on innuendo about snow safety at any resort. Ski patrol are professionals, and publishing unsubstantiated allegations such as are in your post are not only disrespectful to the hard work these individuals undertake, it is borderline libelous. So, unless there's something more than a bunch of idle speculation, I think you should retract your post and await further evidence.

Mike

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Word on the mountain from a few sources is that management let some wealthy folks go up before the lifts opened and ski from the peak the day of the slide, then left it open over the protests if ski patrol. This supports my suspicions that it was opened too soon for the holiday weekend. It is second-hand information but I've heard it from diverse sources now.

I prefer that we don't pass along rumors about things like this, especially when its not substantiated and involves pros in the industry who are working hard in an attempt to make it safe.
@Brock Tice, I'm sorry if this is too direct, but I think it is absolute bullshit to pass on innuendo about snow safety at any resort. Ski patrol are professionals, and publishing unsubstantiated allegations such as are in your post are not only disrespectful to the hard work these individuals undertake, it is borderline libelous. So, unless there's something more than a bunch of idle speculation, I think you should retract your post and await further evidence.

Mike
There are nicer ways to get your point across.

Brock Tice

Out on the slopes
Skier
especially when its not substantiated and involves pros in the industry who are working hard in an attempt to make it safe.

I have 100% faith in TSV patrol. A lot of us around here are losing faith in the promises that were made with the change of ownership though. I won't say anything more here unless there's an official statement or report.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have 100% faith in TSV patrol. A lot of us around here are losing faith in the promises that were made with the change of ownership though. I won't say anything more here unless there's an official statement or report.

This is how I read your post, btw, not as a criticism of patrol but as a defense. (I heard something similar, but as has been said, it is a rumor. What would internet be without rumors, though?)

Brock Tice

Out on the slopes
Skier
There are a lot of signs of resentment of management popping up lately. I saw a few new stickers on the signs at the top of the first leg of the ridge hike yesterday. One said "DON'T (B) FOOLED" with the B corporation logo, and the other said something like "corporation free TSV". It reminds me of right before they put in the Kachina lift.

Brock Tice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Has anyone heard more about the status of an official investigation or report? I just did some searching around and found nothing. In mid-January Dave Norden stated they expected the investigation would take a few weeks.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier

Brock Tice

Out on the slopes
Skier
I will swing by the patrol shack if the schedule allows and ask on Saturday.