• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I just can't even imagine. It's just not something you think a lot about when skiing inbounds. I imagine that there's going to be a major investigation now (and possible law suits like Vail dealt with recently).

Kinda depends on NM law, I would guess. And the attitude of possible plaintiffs. Investigation, yes. When you think about the terrain at Taos, it's pretty remarkable that this doesn't happen there all the time.

edit: Well, look at that. As usual, Jason Blevins is already on it: https://coloradosun.com/2019/01/18/ski-area-avalanches-inbounds-lawsuits-fail/

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
It gets tricky keeping it in your mouth. People come out of slides missing their ski boots sometimes, so it's easy to see how it can get ripped out of a slide victim's mouth. Combined with the fact that you can't have both an avalung and an airbag (which is more effective for keeping people at the top of the snowpack and above some of the rocks/trees that can cause trauma), most people opt for the latter. However, inbounds, I wouldn't ride with one. I'd be so nervous about accidentally being exploded off the lift.
I actually mentioned cave divers because they do a lot of weird redundancies and bizarre hose configurations to accommodate how out of air situations happen in caves. One of the things they accommodate for is how panicked divers jump on you and rip away your air source and mask. I don't know enough about the avalung and how the forces of an avalanche act on a skier but gosh..........

Why can't an Avalung be worn with an airbag?

Is anybody familiar with spare air?

Brock Tice

Out on the slopes
Skier
My wife said she read an article saying beacons may be required on the ridge going forward. She doesn't remember where.

I noticed the stuff past the gates was listed as closed today, as well as lift 4. I will be there tomorrow and post an update.

Muleski

Inactive
I met Matt, the victim, when he was a young weekend racer back East, maybe age 8. His older sister is a contemporary of our daughter's. Both of the Zhongetti's decided not to go the ski academy route. Matt was a outstanding athlete in high school, and a very strong student [as was his sister}. He graduated from Wake Forest. His family owns a ski home in Maine, and he was an every weekend skier through high school. Less frequent, I imagine, since. But I think by any measure he was a very strong, skilled skier. He was with his father. They made an annual trip West to ski. It saddens my family tremendously.

On the beacon topic, I urge both of my adult kids to wear one, whenever it makes an ounce of sense. And we have replaced them with better technology twice. They have air bags, full avy kits, and have taken numerous avy courses.

They also live in CO and CA, and work in the ski business. On snow 200+ days, and I hope, well aware of their surroundings, world wide. A beacon would have been a plus, but for an Eastern skier, making a once a year trip, skiing inbounds, I'm not sure if that's a reasonable expectation of recommendation. It's probably;y not on their radar screen.

Very sad loss. I remember his parents and sister from years ago. VERY nice family. I can't imagine this kind of loss. And please let's NOT utter those words about dying doing what he loved. I know very few families who have suffered this kind of loss, and have not wrestled with it almost every day. I lost a cousin in a sailboat race. Never found. Believe me, his parents never felt that way, for the rest of their days.

RIP, Matt.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I met Matt, the victim, when he was a young weekend racer back East, maybe age 8. His older sister is a contemporary of our daughter's. Both of the Zhongetti's decided not to go the ski academy route. Matt was a outstanding athlete in high school, and a very strong student [as was his sister}. He graduated from Wake Forest. His family owns a ski home in Maine, and he was an every weekend skier through high school. Less frequent, I imagine, since. But I think by any measure he was a very strong, skilled skier. He was with his father. They made an annual trip West to ski. It saddens my family tremendously.

On the beacon topic, I urge both of my adult kids to wear one, whenever it makes an ounce of sense. And we have replaced them with better technology twice. They have air bags, full avy kits, and have taken numerous avy courses.

They also live in CO and CA, and work in the ski business. On snow 200+ days, and I hope, well aware of their surroundings, world wide. A beacon would have been a plus, but for an Eastern skier, making a once a year trip, skiing inbounds, I'm not sure if that's a reasonable expectation of recommendation. It's probably;y not on their radar screen.

Very sad loss. I remember his parents and sister from years ago. VERY nice family. I can't imagine this kind of loss. And please let's NOT utter those words about dying doing what he loved. I know very few families who have suffered this kind of loss, and have not wrestled with it almost every day. I lost a cousin in a sailboat race. Never found. Believe me, his parents never felt that way, for the rest of their days.

RIP, Matt.

So so so sorry. Was his dad the other guy caught?

And yes, the Eastern skier thing is a thing. I know you know my brother has been doing some avy education back there that was prompted by the two USST kids killed in Europe a few years ago.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I actually mentioned cave divers because they do a lot of weird redundancies and bizarre hose configurations to accommodate how out of air situations happen in caves. One of the things they accommodate for is how panicked divers jump on you and rip away your air source and mask. I don't know enough about the avalung and how the forces of an avalanche act on a skier but gosh..........

Why can't an Avalung be worn with an airbag?

Is anybody familiar with spare air?

I guess technically a pack designer could integrate both into a pack, one shoulder strap for avalung and one for the airbag trigger. Avalung has exhale vents near your butt, so it would probably be out of the way of an ABS system. But that bag would be expensive AF. And heavy AF. I've been swept and spit out by a very small (but still terrifying) slide and I know I would've had time to pull an airbag rip cord, but I'm not sure I would've had time to get the breathing tube properly set up before I was off my feet.

Muleski

Inactive
So so so sorry. Was his dad the other guy caught?

And yes, the Eastern skier thing is a thing. I know you know my brother has been doing some avy education back there that was prompted by the two USST kids killed in Europe a few years ago.

His dad was not, but I've been getting small bits and pieces of information. Dad was at the base, not on the hill when the slide occurred. My daughter was once quite close to Matt's sister, but that was over 15 years ago. This is one of these families that you would see a lot of every couple of weeks, over 5-6 years of junior racing. Then some kids head to skis academies {ours} some do not, and you lose touch. I saw his mother and sister interviewed a couple of hours ago on Boston TV. Shocked, composed, and instantly recognizable to us. I think mom is a school teacher.

Yes, you had mentioned your brother doing that work. My son had coached one of the boys, summers, and knew the other. Knows his dad pretty well. GREAT kids. That was an accident and a loss that sticks like glue with the ski racing community. At the highest level. I have no doubt that both boys would be on the WC today. Bryce was from SLC and loved to ski powder, and to just rip and ski. Ronnie loved life and was always up for any adventure. They, and some other teammates, were just "skiing powder" as far as they knew, in Europe. Their loss has lead to educating skier racers on the dangers, as well as coaches. Your brother's work. If you grew up in the East, primarily racing, this was just not something that you were aware of. It is incredibly rare here.

With the explosion of BC and AT skiing, that community is aware of it. Particularly those who venture fairly far afield. Mt. Washington and the Presidentials in N.H. is a location that I think of.

When our son was coaching in Colorado, I was more nervous than I ever have been when it came to his skiing the backcountry on his days off.Even doing it with a group who had been doing it forever, and were smart and knowledgable. He's been involved in a lot of risky sports endeavors all of his life, all over the world. That time really scared me. His comment once was "I really enjoy this, but not enough to die for."

Sad. Going to be an early night for us. Makes me think through all of the kids {and adults} we know who have been lost in this sort of thing. A list that seems too long.

Last edited:

Old boot

Getting on the lift
Skier
OK Question, I have never worn a beacon in bounds (Heli they supply them) Been a lot of years and I was wondering, can people get a small unit that is reliable? seems to me someone mentioned 300 bucks that sounds pretty cheap really. I know my wife doesn't ski with one but maybe should, anyone skiing west it seems to me might want to have one. We hear about inbound every year so it happens. So who makes a small reliable unit? I would rather purchase one for Lisa than up her life insurance.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
So sad when anything like this happens, hits even harder when it is someone in the prime of their life :(

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
OK Question, I have never worn a beacon in bounds (Heli they supply them) Been a lot of years and I was wondering, can people get a small unit that is reliable? seems to me someone mentioned 300 bucks that sounds pretty cheap really. I know my wife doesn't ski with one but maybe should, anyone skiing west it seems to me might want to have one. We hear about inbound every year so it happens. So who makes a small reliable unit? I would rather purchase one for Lisa than up her life insurance.

A tracker DTS is a 2 antennae that has a handicap from a search perspective, but transmits just fine. They’re being phased out, so they’re pretty cheap. Tracker 2 is also just fine and <300. I’d go with a new beacon with older technology than an older used beacon. Polarity gets thrown off over time (or at least take a trusted beacon to make sure the range on the re-sell beacon)

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
I would think the choice might be more based on the type of terrain they ski than just 'anyone skiing west'. If your wife tends to venture up to high, exposed steep ridges or backcountry then yeah, it might be something to consider. Blue runs, probably not necessary.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

I have the Tracker2 which is pretty chunky but its great when searching. I would get something much smaller if I just wanted it for use mainly as a transmitter. Like this one: https://www.rei.com/product/108817/pieps-micro-avalanche-transceiver

Old boot

Getting on the lift
Skier
I would think the choice might be more based on the type of terrain they ski than just 'anyone skiing west'. If your wife tends to venture up to high, exposed steep ridges or backcountry then yeah, it might be something to consider. Blue runs, probably not necessary.
She is a LVL 3 CSIA that teaches privates so runs the gambit of runs depending on her clients. She skies a lot of steeps ,trees and areas that people pay to find fresh local stashes. The 300 number I threw out was just because it was a price I saw, I don't mind paying more for something superior for operation or smaller so it is easier to carry ( she was 160plus days on snow last few years)

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
She is a LVL 3 CSIA that teaches privates so runs the gambit of runs depending on her clients. She skies a lot of steeps ,trees and areas that people pay to find fresh local stashes. The 300 number I threw out was just because it was a price I saw, I don't mind paying more for something superior for operation or smaller so it is easier to carry ( she was 160plus days on snow last few years)

This is the review I use before buying ours.

I think @Lady_Salina can definitely could use one up in W/B.

Old boot

Getting on the lift
Skier
This is the review I use before buying ours.

I think @Lady_Salina can definitely could use one up in W/B.
It was exactly you and Mami and Lisa I was actually thinking about, you all ski " interesting" places. Also when I go visit I ski a lot on my own these days so probably smart to have one as I probably go places that we should really ski with a partner

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Looking at the pics of this slide my first concerns would be the related trauma. Ava-lung......pfft.

Yes ... I don't know where (ie, how high up) they were when it slid, but that accident we witnessed a few years ago was right there, and the dude was very broken when we came upon him. I still can't believe he lived. There are multiple cliffs to fall off in there.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh my. Those probe lines make my heart sink. Hoping for good news.

From Taos' Twitter feed it looks like Katchina opened for the season two days ago, but was closed yesterday due to poor visibility. These are the conditions posted this morning.

screenshot_20190117-152504-png.63112
Clarification to the conditions I posted above: The Kachina Lift opened on the 15th, but the peak was open to hiking on the 10th:

Also, here's the historical snowfall from onthesnow. It might be a day off, but the 7-day adds up pretty close to the official reporting I copied above on the 17th, the day of the accident:

Taos_Ski_Valley_Snow_History___OnTheSnow.png

https://www.onthesnow.com/new-mexico/taos-ski-valley/historical-snowfall.html

I've got a beacon. What's bothering me is I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been wearing it there yesterday. There were just a couple inches new overnight and it had been open a while. There must have been a lot of hikers through there over the weekend and even more Monday when the lift opened. I only wear my beacon on big days and need to rethink that.

Last edited:

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
Then yeah, her being in the first category probably a good idea to get one.