• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was not there today. Telling my friends and family that keep messaging me about this too. I worry a little bit that they rushed to open the Kachina Peak lift, it was open to hikers for less than a week.

I have recco in my helmet and shell but maybe it's time for a beacon...

Highly recommend it if you ski somewhere with a lot of avalanche terrain. Especially as the Tracker DTS is getting phased out, it's pretty affordable. (It's a 2 antennae that's slower for search since it doesn't resolve spikes the same way a 3-ant beacon would, but transmits just fine and is definitely capable for helping out in a resort rescue. But if you think that backcountry skiing is ever on the horizon, get yourself a 3-antennae.)

Brock Tice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Highly recommend it if you ski somewhere with a lot of avalanche terrain. Especially as the Tracker DTS is getting phased out, it's pretty affordable. (It's a 2 antennae that's slower for search since it doesn't resolve spikes the same way a 3-ant beacon would, but transmits just fine and is definitely capable for helping out in a resort rescue. But if you think that backcountry skiing is ever on the horizon, get yourself a 3-antennae.)

Thanks, yes, will be taking a class in early march, I appreciate the pointer.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
https://www.koat.com/article/avalan...iers-snowboarders-at-taos-ski-valley/25938388

My daughter is one of the two interviewed, on the right in brown.

The ski New Mexico rep interviewed is really trying to make avalanches sound like a rarity up there. The news casters sort of echo that but are pretty far off from the reality. It’s rare to have a related fatality you could say but avalanches are the norm in terrain like that, especially with a continental snow pack.

Reactions: nay

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The ski New Mexico rep interviewed is really trying to make avalanches sound like a rarity up there. The news casters sort of echo that but are pretty far off from the reality. It’s rare to have a related fatality you could say but avalanches are the norm in terrain like that, especially with a continental snow pack.

I noticed that earlier. Very strange, I thought.

I also noticed that this article and TSV's twitter called it a "shoot" rather "chute." I know, it is trivial after something like this, but ugh.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah, that’s media for ya though. The SNM rep seems scared this news could scare away their winter tourism dollars, pretty understandable, especially after last winter but it did feel disingenuous in its delivery.

Hopefully things work out for the two people rescued.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
The ski New Mexico rep interviewed is really trying to make avalanches sound like a rarity up there. The news casters sort of echo that but are pretty far off from the reality. It’s rare to have a related fatality you could say but avalanches are the norm in terrain like that, especially with a continntal snow pack.
Well I took it as inbounds avalanches on open terrain are rare and that is true.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'll be curious to learn what method located the victims (beacon, Recco, probe line, dogs, etc.). I always assumed that most people would be findable by Recco since all my outerwear came with it, but I was surprised to learn that a good number of really popular brands don't use them, even though they're pretty cheap compared to the cost of the garment.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Well I took it as inbounds avalanches on open terrain are rare and that is true.

Yep skier triggered inbounds avalanches on open terrain are super rare. The other large one that comes to mind happened a few years ago at A Basin during directed skiing with patrol so not exactly an open slope but still. It was a hard slab avalanche with basically the season's entire snowpack in it.

Hope the Taos victims survive and make a full recovery.

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm sure that's what the Ski NM rep said, but add poor small market reporting from a green reporter who obviously knows nothing about the subject and you end up with shockingly incorrect statements like these graphics:

Crews_dug_through_concrete-like_snow_to_rescue_skiers_trapped_in_avalanche.png

https://www.koat.com/article/avalan...iers-snowboarders-at-taos-ski-valley/25938388

Attachments

• Crews_dug_through_concrete-like_snow_to_rescue_skiers_trapped_in_avalanche.png
    Crews_dug_through_concrete-like_snow_to_rescue_skiers_trapped_in_avalanche.png
    502 KB · Views: 8

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Sounds like one of the guys didn't make it.

Facebook just told me I hiked Kachina 2 yr ago today. It was the last day before the lift opened.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
He literally says that “avalanches are super rare.”

Then when reporters talk about the history of avalanche deaths they mention an out of bounds incident.

It just felt sort of Trumpian, you know, it’s not completely incorrect but it’s not completely correct either.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Rare but here in UT we're getting a second straight day of wet, heavy snow on top of a very firm snowpack. It's been dumping in town for hours. If one were ever going to wear their beacon in bounds in UT tomorrow would be a good day. There were areas at DV closed today. That's unusual.

Be safe. This in-bounds event has had a sad ending for someone just out trying to have fun.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting to hear that former governor and presidential candidate Gary Johnson was actually there and helped in the search. I went to high school with his kids (and frankly am not a fan of his for personal reasons) but didn't realize he was a big skier.

Sponsor

Staff online