• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico Taos anxiety

Codger

Booting up
Skier
I know I’ve been posting about different trip alternatives but lingering in my mind is Taos. I am a senior citizen who is an eastern groomer skier at Stratton. No trees, will go into the bumps if soft and my powder experience is limited to what Stratton occasionally receives. We ski all of the groomers. My trepidation is that in recent years I haven’t experienced a place that Taos is reputed to be. Is my anxiety warranted?

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
Taos might be known for the steeps and bumps but they have nice groomers too! Porcupine, Lower Stauffy, Firlefanz, Powderhorn are all very nice. It is rarely icy or even hard packed (until Spring), and it is also normally not crowded. There are easy bumps too at Lone Star/Bambi! You have plenty of options to enjoy the mountain!
I don’t know how senior you are, but my ski buddy is 68 and I know an 84 year old man who skis the groomers every day as his daily exercise!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I know I’ve been posting about different trip alternatives but lingering in my mind is Taos. I am a senior citizen who is an eastern groomer skier at Stratton. No trees, will go into the bumps if soft and my powder experience is limited to what Stratton occasionally receives. We ski all of the groomers. My trepidation is that in recent years I haven’t experienced a place that Taos is reputed to be. Is my anxiety warranted?

I believe we are twins separated at birth.
I am a senior. My Taos senior pass said so. My home mountain is also Stratton. Still is for early season. Personally, I love groomers.

Come on down to Taos and do a ski week. You'll have a good time. I guarantee it.

BTW, when do you expected to be in Taos.

Last edited:

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
taos1s.jpg

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That sign totally freaked me out the one and only time we were at Taos. But I’m going back for a ski week this year, although not during this gathering. We’ll be there the week of Valentine's Day. If I can do it from Michigan, you can do it, too.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@Codger, seriously speaking, shudda came to the Taos gathering next week.
Last year we had about 25 for the Taos gathering. Most had a good time. Nobody died.
This year, we have about 41 Pugs. Most attended last year returned for more abuse. That got to mean something. Probably all of them are too stupid to quit? :huh:

James

Out There
Instructor
You’re gonna die.

Not really. You’ll have a blast, there’re plenty of great cruisers. And it‘s a lovely place.
That’s what AGrump told Tony about the ski off. (Without the fine print) Judging by the volumes written, he wasn’t that far off. ogsmile

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
All of the gnarly stuff at Taos is hike-to or off the Kachina lift.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
All of the gnarly stuff at Taos is hike-to or off the Kachina lift.
Um...I don’t know if you’ve been there since they opened things like Pierre’s, Ech’s, Ernies, or North American, and older runs like Arnold Lunn, Werner, and Jean’s Glade all qualify as gnarly in my book, and all accessible without hiking. But hey, I’m not that good.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

I haven't been following your other posts, but based on what you've said here, I'd say there are better bets for you as far as western resort destinations.

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
I haven't been following your other posts, but based on what you've said here, I'd say there are better bets for you as far as western resort destinations.

While I would never want to discourage someone from going to Taos, Tony S is right about there being better options out West than Taos if you are going to stick to groomers. Please know that your trepidation is not warranted as there are plenty of nicely groomed runs at Taos as has been said. And KingGrump's advice of doing a Ski Week is also worth considering. I have yet to meet a person who has done that who has regretted it. In fact, everyone who does a Ski Week keeps going back.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
there are plenty of nicely groomed runs at Taos

Absolutely, but only about 20% of what you'd get at Snowmass, for example. Vibe, that's a different thing.