• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Tahoe Weekend Question

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
Headed to California next weekend. Flying into Reno Friday night, planning on skiing somewhere in Tahoe before heading to Mammoth Saturday evening. Trying to figure out which Tahoe resort might be the least busy on a Saturday. I'd like to try somewhere I've not skied before, but would also like to avoid crowds if possible. I've skied at Heavenly, Homewood, Squaw, and Kirkwood in the past, so was thinking about Mt Rose, Sugar Bowl, Sierra, Northstar. Will be at Squaw/Alpine later in the week, after a few days at Mammoth. Any thoughts on what might have a little less traffic on a Saturday? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Headed to California next weekend. Flying into Reno Friday night, planning on skiing somewhere in Tahoe before heading to Mammoth Saturday evening. Trying to figure out which Tahoe resort might be the least busy on a Saturday. I'd like to try somewhere I've not skied before, but would also like to avoid crowds if possible. I've skied at Heavenly, Homewood, Squaw, and Kirkwood in the past, so was thinking about Mt Rose, Sugar Bowl, Sierra, Northstar. Will be at Squaw/Alpine later in the week, after a few days at Mammoth. Any thoughts on what might have a little less traffic on a Saturday? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
I assume you have an Ikon pass? If so, I would say Alpine..even if youa re going to ski it later in the week. I would say Rose would be my other first choice. Plus it will save you about 45 minutes on your drive to Mammoth.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
Diamond Peak is one of the smaller areas, but they pack in a good vertical (1200') in the few chairs they have. Lapping Crytal or Lakeview chairs is all you need when sufficient terrain is open. Right now- some of the best runs from the top are not yet opened and I don't see them opening till a few more storm cycles come by. The views are still amazing from what's open... But not enough for more than a couple of hours of skiing right now.

They have a discount if you bring a pass from any other Mountain, although this has been creeping up over the years, like everything else.
https://www.diamondpeak.com/tickets-specials/specials/bring-your-pass

Finally, here's Diamond Peak on a good day-

Sponsor

Staff online