• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
We will have Sunday-Friday to fit our 5 days so I figured crowds would be fine. Maybe take Sunday off and ski m-f. We will do 4 days at heavenly and the 1 day at one of the other 2 as that's what's included.
Rather than skipping the first day, I recommended skiing it as weather could affects lift operations at Heavenly sometime later in week (or at least check weather before deciding). Sunday crowds are not as bad as Saturday' and if you can make it to late afternoon, you may find many people have left early.

If you end up skiing the five days included in your package and you still want to ski Friday, consider Sierra-Tahoe. It's closer to SLT than Kirkwood or Northstar, tickets are less expensive and can be bought at discount at some lodgings and ski shops, and there is an inexpensive bus from SLT.

Sky, Tamarack and the Gondola at Heavenly are usually the first to close due to wind, followed by Dipper. If all of these close it makes it difficult, if not impossible, to go from one state to the other and could mean you will be riding a shuttle to get back to gondola base.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I actually love both Heavenly and Kirkwood. The one warning I would offer is to avoid Kirkwood on a windy day. That mountain can be brutal cold if the wind is whipping; other than that, it is one of my favorites. I have never skied Northstar so I can't offer anything in the way of comparison.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just booked this last night. Headed here with with our ski club.

I've been to Tahoe in the summer but never winter so I'm excited to ski here. Our package includes

5 day lift tickets for Heavenly, Kirkwood, and Northstar

I'm just looking for tidbits of information as since we've never skied here.

I'm intermediate, my guy is advanced. I've very recently started venturing into the occasional tree run and last season I finally got into spring bumps and became more comfortable skiing powder and the bumps that come with that. Generally speaking though we're groomer skiers and that's most of what we like to ski on. I'm ok with steep so long as it's wide.

Our pass is good at Heavenly every day and 1 day there's a bus trip to Kirkwood or Northstar. However, if we wish to pay the shuttle fee our lift ticket is good at all places for each of the 5 days.

Are there certain trails people like, or don't like. I realize this is all very personal but I'm looking for things like Kirkwood is loaded with advanced terrain, not much for intermediates there. Not saying that's the case but if people could offer their opinions that would be great. Or if there's some trail(s) you really love at one of the 3 that would be great.

Thanks
First and foremost, sorry we won't be here to show you around while you're out here.

Tips from Tahoe:
If you find yourself looking at a windy day, plan that time for Northstar. Its the most wind protected and least likely to shut down lift.
If you're looking for majestic views of Lake Tahoe, Heavenly is your place, but it is a little "kirkwoodish" to find your way around.
Kirkwood is the most advanced and one of my favorite places to ski of the VR places, although I don't get there often because its almost a 2 hr drive for us.
There will be plenty of terrain for you to ski but make no mistake, if there is a sign saying "danger", take heed.
Also, there are two chairs side by side that have similar signage, one of which has some "bail out" terrain. One does not. If you are not prepared to ski double black terrain, don't go on that particular chair.
@Brian Likes Pow knows which chairs they are. Maybe he can post this information.

You should have a ton of fun while you're here.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Also, there are two chairs side by side that have similar signage, one of which has some "bail out" terrain. One does not. If you are not prepared to ski double black terrain, don't go on that particular chair.

That would be chair #10. Easily identifiable by the skull and cross bone sign.

Kirkwood Expert Only Sign.jpg

Best thing I like about that chair - there is usually no one on line. :yahoo:

Last edited:

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
Sky, Tamarack and the Gondola at Heavenly are usually the first to close due to wind, followed by Dipper. If all of these close it makes it difficult, if not impossible, to go from one state to the other and could mean you will be riding a shuttle to get back to gondola base.
If all of these close you should probably not be skiing at Heavenly. Northstar and Sierra at Tahoe are forested to the top and safer bets. But you should still verify that lifts are running.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I actually love both Heavenly and Kirkwood. The one warning I would offer is to avoid Kirkwood on a windy day. That mountain can be brutal cold if the wind is whipping; other than that, it is one of my favorites. I have never skied Northstar so I can't offer anything in the way of comparison.

The OP has stated that she will be going to Banff in January, so comparatively no worries about cold in March in Kirkwood, but there might be concerns about brutal cold in January in Banff, with or without wind.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The OP has stated that she will be going to Banff in January, so comparatively no worries about cold in March in Kirkwood, but there might be concerns about brutal cold in January in Banff, with or without wind.
We were there last January and it was -26C.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
We were there last January and it was -26C.

When ever Arctic Air shows up in western Canada it is always colder and the cold snap lasts longer at the Banff ski resorts when compared to the ski resorts in B.C.

I will be skiing Lake Louise and Sunshine Village (worst named ski resort in N.A. as there is often fog or flat light and there is no village) on a MC Pass this coming winter in April.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When ever Arctic Air shows up in western Canada it is always colder and the cold snap lasts longer at the Banff ski resorts when compared to the ski resorts in B.C.

I will be skiing Lake Louise and Sunshine Village (worst named ski resort in N.A. as there is often fog or flat light and there is no village) on a MC Pass this coming winter in April.
Hey we might be there in April, too!

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'm bringing my skis out west this time. We demoed skis in banff and while at Sunshine edges didn't matter so much since we had 2 powder days it was dry as a bone in Lake Louise and they don't tune their skis like we do in the northeast. Traversing down those LL steep groomers I would have preferred razor sharp edges. Regardless we're looking forward to a great tahoe trip. Thank you to everyone for all the suggestions. It's going to be a great trip. @Tricia Sorry we will miss you guys. We'll be back I'm sure. Banff was our ski club trip last year. We liked it so much we're headed back so I'm sure the same will happen with Tahoe :)

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
Kirkwood chair 10 is probably best to avoid if you are a intermediate unless conditions are perfect.

Chair six is fairly steep as well but there's a couple of groomer runs that are generally bliss so long as you're ok with steep groomers. Chair four will be the one that you both can ride together and be content I think, there's also some surfy fun low angle trees if you explore a bit.

If you want a tour (midweek) I am more than happy. Also note that I commute down most days from Slt so if you guys need a ride....although actual work days I start at 1pm till 8 or 9 so days off work better.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Paid my first visit Heavenly end of February back in 2015. Had a blast as the place is like Killington on steroids. We had mild weather and was able to ski all six days in my winter shorts. Like most sprawling resorts you can spend a lot of time traversing from point A to B with getting in any quality downhill runs. Spending time enjoying the runs with each lift then move on worked well for us. Found the trees on the sides of most trails very skiable and was surprised that the powder seems to remain under skied for days after a storm. Loved the Mott Canyon lift but you need will need to conquer Superstar and the other Killington steep trails before you will be ready to enjoy some of the best that Heavenly has to offer. With many months to get ready add this to your goal list for the season. At the very least making some turns in the Milky Way Bowl above Mott is perfect warmup before dropping into the canyon.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Paid my first visit Heavenly end of February back in 2015. Had a blast as the place is like Killington on steroids. We had mild weather and was able to ski all six days in my winter shorts. Like most sprawling resorts you can spend a lot of time traversing from point A to B with getting in any quality downhill runs. Spending time enjoying the runs with each lift then move on worked well for us. Found the trees on the sides of most trails very skiable and was surprised that the powder seems to remain under skied for days after a storm. Loved the Mott Canyon lift but you need will need to conquer Superstar and the other Killington steep trails before you will be ready to enjoy some of the best that Heavenly has to offer. With many months to get ready add this to your goal list for the season. At the very least making some turns in the Milky Way Bowl above Mott is perfect warmup before dropping into the canyon.

Thanks.

Superstar is in my goal list but see fear thread from earlier today. I'm feeling pretty good about that headwall but need a soft snow day. I do plan to bail out to the right and head down lower skylark (black). The thought of heading down lower superstar in front of the entire umbrella bar population gives me a little heartburn. :)

What about east falls (black) at killington. Conquered that this past spring, does that count lol.

We're headed back to banff in January so hopefully those steep will count towards my homework ;)

Last edited:

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The thought of heading down lower superstar in front of the entire umbrella bar population gives me a little heartburn. :)

What about east falls (black) at killington. Conquered that this past spring, does that count lol.

If you don't like the peanut gallery, do laps on the canyon quad. Will do wonders for your skiing. Really quiet there, Usually no lines.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
If you don't like the peanut gallery, do laps on the canyon quad. Will do wonders for your skiing. Really quiet there, Usually no lines.

I want to do the headwall on superstar but I'm bailing before peanut gallery zone. I like to hang out on the Northridge triple and love rime, reason and all those. Canyon is the same area right, one chair over?

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
One chair over to skier's right. If you ski pass the north ridge triple, it's the next chair down. There is usually no line on it.
Good bumps and trees.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
They usually will run it on weekends to off load the K1 gondola. Best thing, no blue/green runs. Keeps out the riff raff.

Sponsor

Staff online