• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tahoe Quiver Help

BVG

Booting up
Skier
Thought I would ask you all about adding another ski or 2 to my quiver. Any insight is appreciated as I have only demoed a handful of skis.

About Me: 6’2” usually around 190-200#. Athletic build. I have been skiing pretty aggressively around Tahoe for the last 4 or 5 years. Before then, I was playing golf in college so couldn’t really ski.
If we haven’t had snow for a week or so, I usually stick to groomers. When we’ve had some good snow, around 50% my skiing is off-piste (maybe more depending on the snow).
I would say I’m a Strong Intermediate or Advanced Skier.

Current Quiver:
Fischer Motive Ti 95 at 180
Black Crows Atris at 184
I use the Motives for days I plan on sticking to groomers with the occasional off-piste run. I don’t love the Motives in deep snow or in the crud (I’m guessing due to the tail shape/rocker) but you guys may know more about that than me.
The Atris are my favorite skis but that’s probably because they come out when the snow is good. I like them on groomers too but I can’t rip on them like my motives (due to not having metal and the overall width??)

Other skis I’ve tried:
K2 pinnacle 95 - wasn’t a huge fan of these because I thought all my turns were washed out
Volkl Kendo - I tried these out at Northstar one day and really liked them on the groomers. Felt like I could push them hard and they stayed stable. Took them off-piste in the deep stuff and wasn’t a fan but I think they were only 88mm wide so not their fault

I’m trying to find something that complements my quiver. Should I go something wider than 106 in hopes of super deep days? Or use the Atris for that and get something < 90mm wide for groomers days (like a Brahma or Kendo or Enforcer 88)?

Additionally: I may be moving the family from the Bay Area to Sparks, NV in the next year. I like supporting local businesses and I hear Moment Skis are from there. Do they offer anything that would complement the current quiver.

Thank you in advance for any insight.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Moment do indeed make fantastic skis including what many consider(myself included) to be one of the best powder skis ever made in the Wildcat(used to be called Bibby). It’s 116/118mm underfoot depending on length and it’s out carves the Atris on soft groomers, offers much more float, is easier to pivot in tight areas and is absolutely a dream in crud or tracked out snow. There’s even a new improved version coming next Fall which I’m sure many like myself will be purchasing. They even offer Demos of all their skis at the factory. So, I definitely keep them in mind if you find you are skiing more powder days when you move out there and want a wider ski than the Atris. Their narrower skis lack the edge hold on harder snow compared to what you’re used to but you can always try skis like the Commander 98 to see what you think.

If I was you, I’d be looking at replacing your daily driver Fisher Motives with a ski that offers similar performance on piste but improved performance in afternoon crud and off piste. It’s more the lack of deep rocker lines and having a blunt sloped tip that catches and bulldozes crud/powder on the Motives that hold them back compared to current skis that width. Since you’re not in harder snow conditions like those in the East, I don’t think you’d have to go as narrow as the 88mm range for a Kendo/Brahma/Enforcer 88.
If you maybe went the next width up in something like an 186cm Enforcer 94, you’d have a ski with similar edge hold/feel to the Motives but have a tip design and rocker profile that will float better, glide easily over afternoon crud and less work off piste. You could ski it bell to bell in all conditions even if you got some unexpected snow during the day.

When it snows overnight or the day after when new fresh terrain is finally opened, out come the Atris to play! BIG powder day, hello Wildcats! Lol

Reactions: BVG
TS
B

BVG

Booting up
Skier
Moment do indeed make fantastic skis including what many consider(myself included) to be one of the best powder skis ever made in the Wildcat(used to be called Bibby). It’s 116/118mm underfoot depending on length and it’s out carves the Atris on soft groomers, offers much more float, is easier to pivot in tight areas and is absolutely a dream in crud or tracked out snow. There’s even a new improved version coming next Fall which I’m sure many like myself will be purchasing. They even offer Demos of all their skis at the factory. So, I definitely keep them in mind if you find you are skiing more powder days when you move out there and want a wider ski than the Atris. Their narrower skis lack the edge hold on harder snow compared to what you’re used to but you can always try skis like the Commander 98 to see what you think.

If I was you, I’d be looking at replacing your daily driver Fisher Motives with a ski that offers similar performance on piste but improved performance in afternoon crud and off piste. It’s more the lack of deep rocker lines and having a blunt sloped tip that catches and bulldozes crud/powder on the Motives that hold them back compared to current skis that width. Since you’re not in harder snow conditions like those in the East, I don’t think you’d have to go as narrow as the 88mm range for a Kendo/Brahma/Enforcer 88.
If you maybe went the next width up in something like an 186cm Enforcer 94, you’d have a ski with similar edge hold/feel to the Motives but have a tip design and rocker profile that will float better, glide easily over afternoon crud and less work off piste. You could ski it bell to bell in all conditions even if you got some unexpected snow during the day.

When it snows overnight or the day after when new fresh terrain is finally opened, out come the Atris to play! BIG powder day, hello Wildcats! Lol

thank you for the advice. What size would you recommend for the Wildcat at my height?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
thank you for the advice. What size would you recommend for the Wildcat at my height?

At your size, you could easily ski the current 190cm Wildcat with it’s low swing weight, deep rocker lines and a more forward mount point which makes it ski shorter. The older Bibby was heavier and “more ski” especially in the 190cm size so it that ski it was usually “184cm if you were in tighter spots”
and “190cm if you skied more open spaces.”

The new Wildcat should charge through crud like the Bibby did but have the ease of the current Wildcat. I’d go 190cm in the new version too. If you do end up going to Reno, you could take both sizes out to compare but think the added float of the 190cm would be worth it.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
For a resort recreational 3 ski quiver for Tahoe, I like:
1. a groomer ski in the 70-80 mm width range (ex. Head SuperShape, K2 Disruption MTI, Rossi Hero Elite Plus Ti, Firebird HRC, Liberty V76, Stockli SC or AX)
2. an All-Mountain general purpose ski in the 80-100 mm range that can do bumps, corn, slush, cut-up snow, and shallow fresh snow (ex. Volkl Deacon, Liberty V82, Fischer RC One GT, Stockli AR, Enforcer 88, Brahma 88, Liberty E90, Enforcer 94, Stockli Stormrider 95, J Skis Masterblaster, Bonafide, K2 Mindbender 99, Enforcer 100)
3. a more specialized ski in the 100-120 mm range for deeper snow days (ex. Mantra 102, Ranger 102fr, Enforcer 104, Line Sick Day, K2 Mindbender 108ti, Rossi Sender Ti or Squad Sender, Moment Wildcat, ON3P Woodsman, Enforcer 110 or 115, Rustler 11)

Larsf

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I am looking for a ski to supplement my quiver (Rossi Hero MT, Kastle FX96, and Nordica Helldurado). I am hoping for something to slot in between the Helldurado and FX96 that would be better with tree skiing (e.g Northstar glades). I was thinking about something softer (and lighter than the Nordicas) like a Black Crows Atris or Moment Wildcat 108. Any suggestions?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am looking for a ski to supplement my quiver (Rossi Hero MT, Kastle FX96, and Nordica Helldurado). I am hoping for something to slot in between the Helldurado and FX96 that would be better with tree skiing (e.g Northstar glades). I was thinking about something softer (and lighter than the Nordicas) like a Black Crows Atris or Moment Wildcat 108. Any suggestions?
Almost everything is lighter than that Hellduado.. The new upcoming Kastle ZX108 could be fun. The new Rossi Sender Ti would make you forget about that Helldo too. What about the Nordica Enforcer 104, that would be a blast in those glades.

Larsf

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
How similar is the Enforcer 104 to the 110? I might want to go a wider to reduce overlap with the FX96, or is the not an issue?

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Larsf came over this searching for something else, but I find the enforcer 104 and 110 to be surprisingly similar, so similar I only kept the 110, sold 93 and 104, kept 88/110

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I like supporting local businesses and I hear Moment Skis are from there.
The folks at Moment are great. You can tour their facility. However, to answer your question, they don't make a ski that will fill the narrower niche your looking to fill. Trust me, I've begged for a narrower Moment for the days we USUALLY get. They know their market and build to that model. I am hoping to give the Commander 98 a try some time.

Probably one of the best all-around Tahoe skis I've been on have been the Elan Wingman 86cti. I'm shorter but heavier than you. They are a well balanced ski that can handle a lot of conditions.

I'm not a fan of wider than 100-110 only because A) I usually ski at Mt. Rose and we really don't get "THAT" storm too often and when we do it's tracked out very quickly and B) I still have to ski the groomer to get back to the lift. Upper 90s to low 100s gets the job done. Liberty Evolv 100 and Renoun Citadel get the job done.

If you're looking for a more carve specific ski, the Atomic X9WB is a hoot. A bit wider than the regular X9 it carves like a knife and has just enough width to get through some chop. It is a more demanding ski than some but if you're strong and like to turn it's definitely worth a look.

In the upper $$ range, just get a pair of Augment AM77 if carving is your passion. AM88 if you want something a bit more versatile. They aren't cheap but they are awesome.