• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Tahoe Question for Snowboarders

fundad77

Aspiring Ski Bum
Skier
Hi, trying to plan a trip to Lake Tahoe with the family as I have never been there. It will be the first time out west at all for the kids and I was thinking Heavenly until I guy I know said my snowboarding daughter will hate it due to a lot of long runouts. Is there any truth to the this opinion? Any advice on better resorts for youth snowboarders would be appreciated. We will be flying into and driving from San Francisco due to work. Thanks.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes it is true, heavenly has lots of flat cattracks.
A clarification though it is not run-outs exactly but more when you need to move from 1 lift pod area to another and explore the mountain.

Northstar which is also on the epic pass, is better for boarders in terms of flat spots, there is also a large amount of park progression in 1 area there (from extra small and up) which young riders seem to like a lot.

goaliedad

Getting off the lift
Skier
I will second what @raytseng said. Heavenly has a lot of very flat areas moving from the California to Nevada sides, and vice versa, as well as within certain lift clusters on both sides. On skis, it's moderately annoying. On a board, it's really frustrating.

I'll second Northstar, which has fairly minimal flat areas (top of Comstock to Zephyr lodge, East Ridge, and Lookout Road), all of which can be avoided if you choose to. It also has plenty of steeper terrain and trees, if you're looking for that. It does not have Heavenly's views, or canyons like Mott & Killebrew.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As a skier, I find myself poling a lot at Heavenly.
A whole lot of getting there from here and back again.

As raytseng said, Northstar is a really great spot for snowboarders.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Are you hooked to Epic? It appears that Mt. Rose has a lot of boarders of all levels from beginners to some really good hard boot slalom board riders. Where are you staying? If you're at South Shore Heavenly is the Epic area (and Kirkwood but I'm not familiar with that). If north lake, then Northstar is your Epic choice.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
I hate traverses, but.... a good wax for speed (and I still have a stash of Fluoro wax), and knowing when it's safe to keep the base flat to bomb down the trail to get max speed for the traverse is the key to surviving them....

This is where DIY waxing benefits, as you choose your wax(es), and do a better job brushing out the structure and polishing for a faster ski or snowboard.

Sponsor