• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

T.I.T.S. (Tuesdays In The Snow)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Taos is another four-letter word that starts with T.

Last-minute trip started out with a couple West Basin runs (Stauffenberg and Zdarsky) and then a fortuitous hike to Kachina, the last day before the lift opened. The snow was fabulous. The views were fabulous. Had a long lunch at the Bavarian and lapped the trees of Lift 2 all afternoon before the final run down Al's at 4 pm on the nose.

And because we knew Kachina lift was going to open the next day, we got there early and had a bunch more spectacular runs all morning. Anywhere from about 8 to 16 in. of dry snow -- but oh yeah, lots of rocks. I got a pretty bad core shot next to an edge on Tuesday, so I had it repaired, and proceeded to ruin my spectacular tune instantly. But it was worth it.

View attachment 18761 View attachment 18762 View attachment 18764

Looks Awesome!

Was the coverage low everywhere or just on Kachina?

James

Out There
Instructor
Taos is another four-letter word that starts with T.

Last-minute trip started out with a couple West Basin runs (Stauffenberg and Zdarsky) and then a fortuitous hike to Kachina, the last day before the lift opened. The snow was fabulous. The views were fabulous. Had a long lunch at the Bavarian and lapped the trees of Lift 2 all afternoon before the final run down Al's at 4 pm on the nose.

And because we knew Kachina lift was going to open the next day, we got there early and had a bunch more spectacular runs all morning. Anywhere from about 8 to 16 in. of dry snow -- but oh yeah, lots of rocks. I got a pretty bad core shot next to an edge on Tuesday, so I had it repaired, and proceeded to ruin my spectacular tune instantly. But it was worth it.
That must be nice to still be able to hike up there and ski it before it's just another mogul zone.

Are they rebuilding the base area?

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks Awesome!

Was the coverage low everywhere or just on Kachina?

I think it was a 73" base ... coverage is pretty good most places, but it's Taos. Snow was wonderful. The high traverses and the tops of chutes were a little bony. Part of it is that it's a place I don't ski often, so I'm not quite sure; the other part is that we were skiing stuff that hadn't been skied all year. Most of the rocks are probably visible today. :P

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That must be nice to still be able to hike up there and ski it before it's just another mogul zone.

Are they rebuilding the base area?

COnstruction was way down from when we were there last season.

And yes, we took great advantage of skiing as much of Kachina as we could before it's moguled up. Really wonderful stuff. I hadn't been before last season, in late Feb/early March, I think? And it was very bumpy.

Also, Stauffy doesn't seem nearly as steep when there is 10 in. of fluff in it.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Was in Taos yesterday. Didn't ski though. Friend getting boot work done and I was getting my new skis looked at (see binding saga thread)

They rebuilt the base so that now you don't have to trudge up the stairs. It looks more like a resort base area with deck chairs and such. You come in at lift level, which is really nice. Toured the new hotel. very fancy schmancy. The restaurant/bar looks like it will be nice.

Did not discern a big difference in the overall culture. lefties, staff, parking folks etc. were all in good cheer. Ski Patrol said Katchina is still rocky, and will be till mid Feb. before they advise charging down it unless you know it like the back of your hand. I still think the base is exaggerated. But new snow coming in this weekend.

One great sadness: I tried to get a condolence fudge for my DH who stayed home with the roof flood, but Chocolate Extreme is out of business. (they used to be downstairs but since that space is now only locker rooms and service area, they were unable to stay and apparently did not like the deal they were offered to move)

Oh, and the lift ticket prices... OUCH!

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Was in Taos yesterday. Didn't ski though. Friend getting boot work done and I was getting my new skis looked at (see binding saga thread)

They rebuilt the base so that now you don't have to trudge up the stairs. It looks more like a resort base area with deck chairs and such. You come in at lift level, which is really nice. Toured the new hotel. very fancy schmancy. The restaurant/bar looks like it will be nice.

Did not discern a big difference in the overall culture. lefties, staff, parking folks etc. were all in good cheer. Ski Patrol said Katchina is still rocky, and will be till mid Feb. before they advise charging down it unless you know it like the back of your hand. I still think the base is exaggerated. But new snow coming in this weekend.

One great sadness: I tried to get a condolence fudge for my DH who stayed home with the roof flood, but Chocolate Extreme is out of business. (they used to be downstairs but since that space is now only locker rooms and service area, they were unable to stay and apparently did not like the deal they were offered to move)

Oh, and the lift ticket prices... OUCH!

THat's a good description.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Hunter Mt. again today with guys I went to school with, so that means a bunch of old men on the mountain. I posted about the conditions under the NE conditions thread so I just wanted talk about something else. Days that everything is firing on all cylinders and days when not feeling like the mechanics are working. So what is it when you are on the same skis and in the same boots as just a few days earlier and things just do not feel "RIGHT". It may also change in the middle of the day, the morning may be great and after lunch nothing seems to work or the other way around, the morning does not work and in the afternoon you are feeling the flow of the trails. That is what happened to me today. So Pug skiers what do you think or have you not had this type of day?

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Hunter Mt. again today with guys I went to school with, so that means a bunch of old men on the mountain. I posted about the conditions under the NE conditions thread so I just wanted talk about something else. Days that everything is firing on all cylinders and days when not feeling like the mechanics are working. So what is it when you are on the same skis and in the same boots as just a few days earlier and things just do not feel "RIGHT". It may also change in the middle of the day, the morning may be great and after lunch nothing seems to work or the other way around, the morning does not work and in the afternoon you are feeling the flow of the trails. That is what happened to me today. So Pug skiers what do you think or have you not had this type of day?

Honestly no, never have had that happen. Sure it wasn't just a snow change? That can easily happen a few times in a full day of skiing. Three times today for me... started with about 3 inches of medium density fresh over consolidated base, then got all cut up and blended with sweet piles forming. then later in the day it firmed up and scraped off a bit in sections with grippy almost hero snow down the extreme edges.
Great FUN!!!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
T-I-T-S Testers
16299249_1233410293416572_6513232725318068717_n.jpg

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wait a minute, is that Phil with two different colored boots? What's the story on that? I've been known to wear two different shoes but I'm really old and that kinda stuff is to be expected.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Jack skis Yes.
The Lange is his, the Atomic is a test boot. That is done quite often to do a comparison of boots.
If you look closely under my leg, you'll see that I'm wearing two different boots as well.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
One of our women had to bow out at the last minute and one will be testing with us in Snowbasin next week. As for the toque .... this is a shot for Pret Helmets

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Looks like we may have a pretty nice T.i.T.S. day in New England tomorrow :yahoo: :crossfingers: :beercheer:
(it's a low bar here :P )

Skis chosen for this trip...
Optimistic? Perhaps
Hopeful? DEFINITLY :D

Tuesday choices.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online