• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

System bindings v. flat for short lightweight skier?

B.E.G.

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hey @Philpug and @Tricia

I think I remembered seeing a post a while back from Phil saying that system bindings might not be the best for skiers skiing shorter skis (say 145-150 or so) but I'm not entirely sure why, or if I'm remembering accurately. Can you speak more on that?

I'm looking for a frontside ski so I can refine my carving and technique, especially as I ski a lot of groomers. I'm currently on the Black Pearls in 152, which I love, and I was looking at the Blizzard Viva line as a complement to the BPs, but it looks like they come with system bindings so I thought I'd check first. Thanks in advance!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Are your the Notorious B.E.G.? Most system bindings are designed to accomodate boots from 260mm to 360mm and when you put a plate like that on a short ski, under 150cm, first it is disperportionalty heavy for a smaller skier but more importantly, it can make the center of the ski blocky because it takes up too much of it. The Blizzard IQ system will also be a problem for the mentioned reasons. Now, this will chave for 2017 with the new Quattro's, they are shorter IQ bars. IF looking at a system, on a carving ski and depending what you weigh and how technical of a ski you are looking for, you might consider a Super Junior slalom ski. These are usually 150cm skis and are designed for skiers in the 100-120lb range.