• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Synthetic puffy with pit zips?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I have a lovely full sleeve puffy. I've finally realized I will never wear it skiing because it doesn't have pit zips. I mean, the zips aren't even really the issue - it could be a full sleeve puffy with big holes in the armpits, and that would work just as well - it would just look weird and not be functional outside of skiing. My body gets cold, my arms get cold - my pits, they do not get cold.

Is there such a thing? I realize that puffies are generally made to be packable, and zips don't help with that. But every time I've worn a full sleeve puffy to ski, I've regretted it.

I ask about synthetic because I can't wear down.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Flylow used to make some, haven't checked lately. A lot of brands do a stretchy breathable panel there, eg Arc'teryx Atom LT.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Flylow used to make some, haven't checked lately. A lot of brands do a stretchy breathable panel there, eg Arc'teryx Atom LT.

I clicked around on Flylow - the synthetic puffy I saw is only available up to size large - no go for me. I didn't see if it has zippers, though.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Try men's?

Men's pants work okay for me - men's jackets are inevitably way too tight in the waist and way too long in the arm.

Unlike the puffy pants I discovered in another post, these aren't a "must have," just something I'd be interested in.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes the Atom breathes well pit-wise as does the Patagonia Nano Air. I just got the Nano and it is now far and away my favorite mid-layer. It's overall ability to breathe exceeds the pit-zip factor IMO. Downside is cost although I got mine -30%.

Regulating with Nano + shell with pit-zips is money.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I have a Rab puffy I keep at the condo; that's the one that keeps me too warm. At home I have an REI and an Arc'teryx. The Arc'Teryx has a hood that is too small for a helmet - intentionally - because I got it for skinning, so that would be annoying to ski in - I always put my jacket hood up on the lift when it's remotely cold. Anyway, none of them seem to have reduced material around the armpits. Maybe breathability really is enough. I doubt the REI will master that one; maybe the Arc'teryx would.

Jake M

AKA Gunnerbob
Skier

Jake M

AKA Gunnerbob
Skier
Updated with links. My wife has the women's Atom LT and LOVES IT. Personally, I think she just wanted to copy my setup haha.

midwestfabs

Booting up
Skier
+1 on the atom lt. I have the hoody one and very comfortable over the helmet, very warm, but breathes great. Used it in midwest subzero coupke weeks ago and worked like a charm as a midlayer.

I have the nano puffy and its also great, but i think it breathes bit less than atom lt.

Expensive, but you can usually find last years discontinued colors at deep discounts.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Just a thought, but, a decent tailor should be able to add a zipper into the pits for not too many $$$$. It may not look perfect, but, if it's under the jacket, who cares.
Another thought would be to try a heavier vest as if the core stays warm, then the outer parts, like the arms should be warmer. A friend who lives in Jackson Hole swears the key to being warm is a warm core.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Another thought would be to try a heavier vest as if the core stays warm, then the outer parts, like the arms should be warmer. A friend who lives in Jackson Hole swears the key to being warm is a warm core.

Speaking as someone who wears Astis mittens with chemical warmers to keep my hands warm on cold days - that core thing only goes so far.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I have a lovely full sleeve puffy. I've finally realized I will never wear it skiing because it doesn't have pit zips. I mean, the zips aren't even really the issue - it could be a full sleeve puffy with big holes in the armpits, and that would work just as well - it would just look weird and not be functional outside of skiing. My body gets cold, my arms get cold - my pits, they do not get cold.

Is there such a thing? I realize that puffies are generally made to be packable, and zips don't help with that. But every time I've worn a full sleeve puffy to ski, I've regretted it.
I ask about synthetic because I can't wear down.

I seem to remember somebody on TGR (Tech Talk) had a place that would put pit zips in anything and was really good at it. maybe worth a search. I have an Arcteryx Fission SL - its not a "puffy" per se - but is hella warm and synthetic and has pit zips. they have a women's version, but hold on to your wallet - they are crazy $ - but for me, its short money if I'm 2K miles from home and its really cold and i want to ski. Better safe than sorry. In my mind its 2 for the price of one (mid-layer and gore-tex shell). It only comes out on really cold trips.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Puffy jackets are supposed to be packable insulation to keep you warm when you are at rest. They don't have zips because you are not supposed to be exerting your self when wearing them. The puffy is the thing you Wip out of your pack after you have skinned up and are waiting for your party to regroup at the top, stopping to eat lunch, or get to the yurt and setup camp. If i want to chop wood at the yurt - I take the puffy off. Get it?

There are numerous insulated ski parkas with pitzips. I am not aware of insulation mid layer with zips.

I occasionally wear a pata nano puff for skiing. It's light enough to not be too hot. If it's snowy and cold I will wear it under a shell or if it's sunny without a shell.

Last edited:

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Puffy jackets are supposed to be packable insulation to keep you warm when you are at rest. They don't have zips because you are not supposed to be exerting your self when wearing them. The puffy is the thing you Wip out of your pack after you have skinned up and are waiting for your party to regroup at the top, stopping to eat lunch, or get to the yurt and setup camp. If i want to chop wood at the yurt - I take the puffy off. Get it?

There are numerous insulated ski parkas with pitzips. I am not aware of insulation mid layer with zips.

I occasionally wear a pata nano puff for skiing. It's light enough to not be too hot. If it's snowy and cold I will wear it under a shell or if it's sunny without a shell.

Well, yeah that's one use, and maybe used to be the main one (see also, belay jacket) but there are puffies with zips. And I wear puffies all the time when exerting, if it's cold out. Even using the pit zips on my shell helps if I get hot in the puffy. Probably a different thing for men and women, as usual. I wear down almost every day I ski, and it's never been an issue.

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@SBrown I think the word puffy is what is confusing me. People are using it for active hybrid insulation, I usually think of a much thicker jacket as a puffy. Like hi loft down sweater is not really puffy enough to be a puffy. Which I would not ski in a puffy unless it were well below 0f. And not having pitzips would be of no consequence.

I agree that there are insulated ski parkas that do have pitnzips. I can recommend patagonia powder bowl. But for those who normally ski in down - I really got no idea.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@SBrown I think the word puffy is what is confusing me. People are using it for active hybrid insulation, I usually think of a much thicker jacket as a puffy. Like hi loft down sweater is not really puffy enough to be a puffy. Which I would not ski in a puffy unless it were well below 0f. And not having pitzips would be of no consequence.
Okay, I guess I mean a high loft not-down sweater?

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Last edited: