• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
There was a time period where many boot fitters handed out the prescription of "take 2 heel lifts and go ski". I had them once. Jeanie Thoren was a main presciber for women.

Maybe boots being more upright has halted the fad?

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, SO I have a lot of issues that appear to be related to my right leg being "shorter" than my left, which explains (per Brent) why I weight my right ski more on flats. Might also explain why left turns are easier, because I'm already weighting that inside/right ski more. So, PT is in order to see about correcting that imbalance. That being said, he canted the lateral edge of my left boot another .5 degrees, put a 3 degree heel lift in that boot and a SIX degree heel lift in the right boot to help offset the leg length discrepancy. Also, put me back in my Zipfits (yaay!!) and added a bunch more cork to both tongues. Attached my Booster Strap and taught me how to tighten it to get maximum tongue contact. (I am very excited to be back in my Zipfits. They are so much more comfortable and WARM compared to the stock liners.)

I'm not sure why he didn't just lift the entire right boot by 5mm (that's how much shorter that leg/side is.) I asked him but didn't get a very specific answer. He did comment twice about my extremely low volume feet. He gave them a funny name along the lines of "footus noexistus." Yes, my feet are a real pain in the ass particularly for ski boots.

The heel lifts were obvious to him as soon as he looked at me from the side. I can't argue with that because other than on the Sambas, the heel lifts did feel better and gave me what I can only describe as a more solid platform to push against in the belly of my turns.

Here's the really crazy thing. The bindings on the Sambas are 10mm different in height between the heel piece and the toe piece, which is why they were pitching me forward so much! Add into that the fact that they are on a short BSL and I was about standing on stilettos. So, I am hoping to run them up to the on-hill shop to have at a minimum a 5mm gas pedal put under there. Brent recommended 6. My Kastle bindings were 2.5 mm different heel to toe, and my new AAttack 13's on the Savory 7's were about 5mm different. It all begs the question why all bindings are made to a certain standard to which people can gas pedal, etc. as needed for their personal needs? I think it could explain why some people love or hate certain beloved demo skis.

Anyway, won't get to ski until tomorrow despite 8" falling up there overnight. :( But I should be able to get out there tomorrow later in the morning.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm still pondering/concerned with him adding MORE heel lift to the right boot when it's that ski I have trouble initiating turns on. But, I'm going to roll with it to see how it is.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm still pondering/concerned with him adding MORE heel lift to the right boot when it's that ski I have trouble initiating turns on. But, I'm going to roll with it to see how it is.

Just getting to neutral in your boots doesn't make skiing movements automatic or easy to do.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Just getting to neutral in your boots doesn't make skiing movements automatic or easy to do.
I know, for sure. I hope I don't have so many bad habits it's going to take eons to erase them. Hope to get a lesson next week...

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Here's the really crazy thing. The bindings on the Sambas are 10mm different in height between the heel piece and the toe piece, which is why they were pitching me forward so much!

Wow, that's a lot? I can't believe your quads don't just explode.

It won't hurt though!

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow, that's a lot? I can't believe your quads don't just explode.

It won't hurt though!

Well, they kind of do! But thankfully I can ski frequently and build my strength. Still, can't wait to get them leveled out a bit more. Good thing I did a lot of mountain biking over the summer!

bud heishman

Skiing performance facilitator
Instructor
Sky Tavern
"Here's the really crazy thing. The bindings on the Sambas are 10mm different in height between the heel piece and the toe piece, which is why they were pitching me forward so much!"

What bindings are on your Sambas? I am not aware of any binding on the market these days with anywhere near that differential??? Most bindings are between 2 - 5 mm.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
"Here's the really crazy thing. The bindings on the Sambas are 10mm different in height between the heel piece and the toe piece, which is why they were pitching me forward so much!"

What bindings are on your Sambas? I am not aware of any binding on the market these days with anywhere near that differential??? Most bindings are between 2 - 5 mm.
Head Peak 12, they are 3 or 4 years old.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Soooooo skied the changes today. The only good change was the additional canting, which allowed for my left ski to run a lot flatter on flats more comfortably. The additional 3mm in the right heel was a DISASTER. Especially with the bindings with the steeper delta. I swapped out for the other skis and it was still bad, bad, bad. I had a feeling it would not be a good thing considering I was feeling like 3mm was already too much. The right ski was literally all over the place. I also think the Zipfits make the boots just too stiff, but I'm going to keep working through that.

Question: How many layers of duct tape are safe to put on the boot sole? I'm going to play around with lifting my entire right boot up and take the 6mm lift out. Can't remember how many mm of duct tape keep the bindings within specs.

ETA I just measured my bindings myself to confirm that YES, my Peak 12's have at LEAST 8mm higher heel than toe. That is insane to me. Throw in my short BSL and it's a wonder I can ski those things at all. I might as well be skiing in stilettos.

My Aattack 12's on my new Savory 7's only have 3mm difference, which is much more reasonable. I didn't measure the Kastles myself but when we measured them yesterday, it was around 3mm also.

Last edited:
TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I was able to get a 5mm toe plate installed on the bindings on the Sambas and it was a big improvement. I removed the 6mm heel lift in the right boot and went back to the 3mm one which was also better but I'm still having turn initiation issues only to the left. I'm thinking I might need to gas pedal the right boot?? Another thing that right ski feels like it's doing is squirting out from under me at the end of turns, which is a symptom of getting in the back seat, is it not? Which could also be caused by heel lifts? I focused really hard on squeezing my butt/pushing forward at the end of my turns and it still happened.

Would it be wrong to gas pedal one boot and not the other? Particularly if we know that leg is somehow shorter, whether it be coming from the hip or even further up? I have dislocated my right shoulder 4 times since I was a teenager and as a result, my entire right side is just "compressed". I think it starts at the shoulder and travels through my ribs then of course affects everything below. Considering I've been this way for at least 30 years, I don't see a whole lot changing no matter what I do. During that time I've been a personal trainer, aerobics instructor, skier, biker, and equestrian. I've done PT for it, specifically for the shoulder as it DOES hurt at times. But it's there and it's a part of me. Would it be wrong to expect my ski boot to help me compensate??

bud heishman

Skiing performance facilitator
Instructor
Sky Tavern
Amy, any external changes to delta should be made to both sides. Leg length should be accommodated for by lifting both toe and heel evenly in the shorter leg not with a heel lift, which changes ramp angle. Keep the angles symmetric.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Amy, any external changes to delta should be made to both sides. Leg length should be accommodated for by lifting both toe and heel evenly in the shorter leg not with a heel lift, which changes ramp angle. Keep the angles symmetric.
Thanks, Bud. I sure wish it were easier for me to just go see you.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, Bud. I sure wish it were easier for me to just go see you.
Everytime I drive from SLC airport to Alta, there is a sign on the interstate that says "Reno", so it can't be that far for you :D!

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Everytime I drive from SLC airport to Alta, there is a sign on the interstate that says "Reno", so it can't be that far for you :D!
It's 7.5 hours. I've already mapped it out. I'd be there in a heartbeat if I didn't have child care issues!