• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We are talking about an era when it wasn't that these fit so well, it is that the traditional boots didn't fit well, we didn't have the options we have today with all of the foot shape options. We were lomited to "Lange Bange" or "Nordica's never fit me" or "I have a Nordica foot". Back then the rear entry boots provided a comfort that the overlaps of the day just didn't have..without a significant drop in performance...relatively. The dials and cables brought a snugness to the foot without having to do modifications to the shell.

Where Salomon also changed things was the volume sizing of the boots. When sizing a boot, Salomon was most concerned with ankle volume verses just foot length..and forefoot width. I can get more into this at a later point.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I had a pair of SX90 Equipe back in the day.I wanted to sell them after one season but found it difficult to justify owning a boot for only one year, so I sold them after 2 seasons. Biggest complaint was: too difficult to flex forward.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
We are talking about an era when it wasn't that these fit so well, it is that the traditional boots didn't fit well, we didn't have the options we have today with all of the foot shape options. We were lomited to "Lange Bange" or "Nordica's never fit me" or "I have a Nordica foot". Back then the rear entry boots provided a comfort that the overlaps of the day just didn't have..without a significant drop in performance...relatively. The dials and cables brought a snugness to the foot without having to do modifications to the shell.

Where Salomon also changed things was the volume sizing of the boots. When sizing a boot, Salomon was most concerned with ankle volume verses just foot length..and forefoot width. I can get more into this at a later point.
I get the same feel from cabrio floating tongue designs, especially with a wrap or overlap style liner. All three pair of boots I use now are cabrio, I am not into pain. I tried these after the 91e, but retired them after about 3 runs. They are still available.
IMG_20151104_203705.jpg

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a pair of the SX91e. Coming from a pair of Scott Superhots, these were like putting doeskin gloves on my feet! Comfy, but snug fitting, I loved the way you could dial up the heel hold-down cable, and snug up the forefoot . I found that feature the best near the end of a weeklong trip when things were getting a bit loose. The only reason I got rid of them was I went to the demo tent to try some skis, and the gentlemen said " Sorry sir , we cant let you on our skis with those boots" Something about being too old, brittle plastic, liability, blah, blah.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Skied Sugarbush ( Mt. Ellen ) today and saw three pairs in the wild. Did not get pics. It was -5 on summit without wind, and the winds was stiff so at least -20. Staying warm was a priority. I wasn't about to take out the phone.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I spotted a pair today but didn't know how to be stealthy enough to get a picture. It would have been too obvious.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You don't know how to look like a texting teen? :ogbiggrin: Not sure if that's :nono: or :golfclap:
:ogbiggrin: We were the only two people standing outside at the back entrance to the lodge. Maybe I should have made a big deal about his boots and asked if I could get a picture, but, powder day...priorities!

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Last weekend I saw two guys with 91e's, skiing together, and this one at Mammoth last May.
IMG_20190503_100939120.jpg

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
35A676F8-0F61-4F7E-A78C-161DA358305B.jpeg

Note the first gen Nordica (Kastle) skis.

Ross Biff

The older I get, the faster I was....
Skier
I had a pair of SX90 Equipe back in the day.I wanted to sell them after one season but found it difficult to justify owning a boot for only one year, so I sold them after 2 seasons. Biggest complaint was: too difficult to flex forward.
The flex issue is probably a fair comment. They could feel like you were flexing them from high up on the front of the cuff. I managed to get mine to flex from lower towards the ankle by extending the end of the lowest groove on the black cuff over the instep with a hot screwdriver blade the same width as the groove. Didn't make a HUGE difference but it was noticeable. I think this was the genesis of my life of boot tinkering!

Sponsor